What's new

A Newbie's Flikr

Hi everybody!

I just started posting on the forums here and I saw this board devoted to photography. Photography is my #1 hobby and I've been doing it for a few years now. I just got upgraded to a Canon XSi DLSR that I'm learning how to use, but before that I was using a Powershot G5.

So my first question is a bit odd, but I think a good one: On the XSi I can set the exposure time, and that's one of the reasons why I got it. However, I totally forgot what the "default" exposure time is. Does anybody know? Thanks!

Also, I'd love feedback on the photos I have taken. One of my more recent holiday traditions is I give calenders of my photography to my good friends and family (but not the bad friends or family :tongue_sm). So, here's a link to my Flikr with my latest calender shots. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattjs21/

They span from when I was in college at Syracuse to a trip I was on last year to Fort Walton Beach, Florida. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I like the December photo the best due to the interplay of light, the composition, and the almost monochromatic tenor to it.

I really need to get a DSLR this year...

Oh and remember the toast, "Here's some champagne for real friends, and real pain for sham friends!" :biggrin:

Oh yeah, the December photo was my wallpaper for a while on my computer. I just recently switched over to the May photo. I like the color of it and the way the sun is fighting through the trees in the back and the tall grass in the front.

I'm just happy that more and more of my photos are of that quality intentionally than me getting lucky.

When you say default exposure time, I have no idea what you meant. There's no such thing as a default exposure.

Looking at your flickr stream, it looks like you have an eye for good compositions. Good looking stuff there!

Oh, one more thing: when you said you got lucky with the lighting in your photos, I looked in the EXIF tagging information (where it tells what camera you used, etc), and all the shots where you "got lucky" were taken in late afternoon, early evening. Coincidence? Nope. They don't call it the "magic hour" for nothin' :)

Last edited:
nice compositions.

join the POTN forum to learn everything you will ever need to know about digital photography with canons [photography-on-the.net/forum/]

like brofkan said, there isn't a "default" since shutter speed, aperture, ISO, bracketing etc is all dependant on the lighting conditions, subject matter, DOF etc. However, to find the closest thing to a "default", put the camera in "P" mode, compose and autofocus, and note what the settings are that the camera selected. Or put the camera in the "no flash" automatic mode and do the same thing. From what the camera "thinks" should be the settings, you can then experiment and deviate to find the impression you are looking for.

Showoff! j/k. nice pics. I'm still using a regular SLR, Canon EOS Elan 7E w/ a 28-300 lens. The only thing that sucks is needing a pushcart to lug the huge thing around.. :glare:

Top Bottom