What's new

Ticks

After being outside or if you have a dog it's a good idea look over your body for these..It can save your life..I fear them more, then snakes..

Having a dog with thick dark fur makes it even more annoying. Thankfully my dogs take medicine that I am sure is powerful enough to kill any parasite twice. Least a snake goes out of its way to be left alone.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I don't know if you can safely rub a dog with an Off towelette, but.

Received my first spider bite couple-three weeks ago, and it's still not healed. Hate the smell of OFF but don't want to collect another one of those.

AA

Ticks are getting a lot more common here in the UK than they used to be. I don't know whether it's because of the wetter and warmer winters, or reduced numbers of sheep in many hill areas resulting in there being more vegetation in which they can lie in wait; it could be a bit of both. At any rate it's good advice to check for ticks after you've been in the sort of country where they thrive.
I've been told several times by vets and farmers I know that you shouldn't try to squash, burn or poison any you find on yourself or your dog, because this can cause the ticks to vomit their stomach contents into you. The tick hooks available from vets and many outdoor shops for very little cash is the way to go. I always carry one during the warmer months, and quite often have to use it. I think six was my record after a mountain walk, but a friend of mine claimed once to have removed 17.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A tick hook, Guy? I've not heard of that.

Oh, what are people's usual method for removing ticks? I've used the just grab 'em with tweezers and pull 'em out...heads of the tick can get left under your skin though...the end of a hot needle applied to the tick's body before pulling it out...alcohol on the tick's body to kill it.

I've not had one that was bloated up with blood...just the regular ones that haven't sucked your blood yet. I have popped some full ticks off of dogs though. They squish pretty good and blood squirts when you step on them after you have gotten them off of the dog.

our vet gives these away for tick removal

DSCF0126.JPG

A tick hook, Guy? I've not heard of that.

Oh, what are people's usual method for removing ticks? I've used the just grab 'em with tweezers and pull 'em out...heads of the tick can get left under your skin though...the end of a hot needle applied to the tick's body before pulling it out...alcohol on the tick's body to kill it.

I've not had one that was bloated up with blood...just the regular ones that haven't sucked your blood yet. I have popped some full ticks off of dogs though. They squish pretty good and blood squirts when you step on them after you have gotten them off of the dog.

Be careful about squishing them- If they look grape like DON'T! that could be a pregnant female- you squish it and all the babies go all over- hopefully not in the house.
I get pleasure from burning them - POP>

Get Ticked Key
Here is one from Duluth Trading. Nice little device!

proxy.php

The two tools shown above are variations on a theme; I suspect there are scores of different designs all doing the same job equally well. It's silly not to carry one of them when the alternative could be a dose of Lyme disease, which really isn't very nice. I've known a couple of people who had it and it took them a long time to recover.

I hate ticks, they give me the willys. And I'm a bug guy, with no problems handling tarantulas, scorpions, beetles, stick bugs or just about any other arthropod. Just the thought of having one of those on my body makes my skin crawl. We have ticks pretty bad in the state park near my house. Any time we go hiking we have to check ourselves pretty good. I've found a few on me and the kids, but luckily none had yet bitten or tried to imbed.

I sent our camping clothes to insectshield in Greensboro NC last year, once they are treated they are good for 70 washing's.
I am hoping that will cut down the chances of ticks on us while camping.

IMG_0322.JPG

Whenever the temperature gets above 40F ticks get active. Keep them outside your clothing by tucking your pants inside socks and checking. From talking to vector management professionals, nothing really "repels" ticks. When I'm in tick areas I'll spray my clothes with Permethrin, likely the same fabric treatment. Not crazy about bathing in insecticide but tick are sensitive to it. It doesn't "repel" ticks, by the time a tick crawls up above your knee it should be dead or dropping off. I have a bunch of tools but usually just grab the tweezers in my SA knife.

"Tick-check" after a day in the field resembles a nature show of primates grooming each other but we can't skip getting outside...

Tom

The deer ticks are tiny. They are the carriers of Lyme disease I think. The wood ticks are much bigger but harmless. One way to get them to back out is to cover them with petroleum jelly and they will back out trying to get a breath. With wood ticks I just grab with my nails by the beak and pull.

I work in the woods a lot in the spring and Off usually keeps them at bay.

Top Bottom