What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

Viking is one soap I meant to review from box #2.

I tried the Citron, and found the scent nice but on the weak side for my taste. Soap performance was very good. I'd rate it around the likes of Tiki. Not top tier but respectable.

David - I'm excited to hear your found a scent that is anything like the Captain. Is it me or does someone need to send Long Rifle a spell checker for their labels ;)

Viking is one soap I meant to review from box #2.

I tried the Citron, and found the scent nice but on the weak side for my taste. Soap performance was very good. I'd rate it around the likes of Tiki. Not top tier but respectable.

David - I'm excited to hear your found a scent that is anything like the Captain. Is it me or does someone need to send Long Rifle a spell checker for their labels ;)

As far as the Viking soap goes I found it to be a respectable offering when I tried it. Nothing stood out as a weakness but it wasn't an ultra luxurious high end soap for me either. After the very positive reviews it's getting now I do want to revisit it though. It's hard to determine just how good a soap is from one or two uses so maybe I could have missed something. Then again maybe not, as I sometimes see soaps get great reviews that I think are about average offerings. Either way, it's worth another look.

I should reach out to Andrew at Viking and see if he's changed anything with his soap formula. The jars from the passaround are from a while back so if he made a change it likely isn't reflected in the samples. I think he follows this thread so maybe he'll read this and let me know.

The Hunting Lodge scent from LongRifle I thought was one you'd definitely like. The Tobacco & Bay from Lisa's is also in that same wheelhouse as well. Both are scents that I really enjoy that I'm pretty sure you'd like as well.

As far as the LongRifle's spelling goes they aren't misspellings, they're artistic liberties. It doesn't matter to me at all as they could name the soap Donkey for all I care, as long as it's great stuff I'll buy it.

Last edited:
So I begin the Soap Sample Box 2. Today I decided to try the Viking brand Shave Soap called Ragnar. So to be completely honest...I decided to try this soap because I have an affinity towards Norse and Viking Lore and history involving the Medieval Period of European History. It also smells nice. I am away from home and I picked three soaps to bring with me. When I picked Ragnar, I had no idea that this was a vegan soap.

Soap/Cream: Viking - Ragnar
Razor: Post War Aristocrat
Blade: Polsilver SI (New Blade)
Brush: Omega 11574 Boar BRUSH
Aftershave: Thayers Medicated Witch Hazel / Osage Rub

Viking Ragnar 1.jpg

Glide: 8/10 - Excellent glide and slickness on this soap. I was a little concerned at first but all was well in the end.

Cushion: 7/10 - Bette than average cushion,,,but not the best. Although this has better cushion than most veggie soaps I have tried.

Latherability: 9/10 - This is one of the areas this soap excels in. Super easy to lather. You can add a lot of water too it if you like.

Lather Stability: 8/10 - The lather was VERY rich and creamy. Stayed that way for the entire shave.

Residual Slickness: 8/10 - Great residual slickness. I could do touch-ups just with the RS.

Scent Strength: 6/10 - If you want a long lasting smelling soap that is strong...this isn't for you. Out of the tub it is hard enough to smell, and even when shaving you get some scent. When I put on the Witch Hazel, all scent from the soap vanished.

Scent Likeness: 8/10 - I do like the scent very much...I just wish it was stronger. According to the website it is supposed to be the Viking inspired version of Creed Aventus.

Post Shave Feel: 7/10 - It's better than most veggie soaps...but not nearly as good as most tallow soaps.

Average Rating: 7.6/10

Viking Ragnar 2.jpg Viking Ragnar 3.jpg

Final Thoughts: This is a very solid performing soap and probably one of the better veggie soaps I have tried. This is actually called Viking Frᴓ (Vegan) Ragnar. There are a couple other samples of viking soap that are tallow based. I think I want to give one of those a try before I pass judgement. All in all, a solid performer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Midnight & Two - The Cabin (9) > Through the Fire Fine Craft - Currants and Roses (8.9) = Sudsy Soapery - Jack Frost (8.9) > Phoenix and Beau - Citra Royale (8.5) > Bain Amour - Monsieur Piquant (8.3) = Maggard Razors - Limes & Bergamot (8.3) > Bluebell - Limewood (8.1) = Barrister & Mann - Lavanille (8.1) > Captain's Choice - North (8) > Chiseled Face - Midnight Stag (7.6) = Viking - Ragnar (7.6) > Shannon's Soap - Silk Pajamas (7.4) > Cella (7.3)

The Viking aftershave balms are pretty decent and come in a large bottle for eleven bucks. I'm always on the lookout for a good yet reasonably priced aftershave balm. This one and Soap Commander's offerings fit the bill quite nicely. I have the Viking one in their Ironside scent and it's quite nice.

Tonight's shave was the Twice Mint by Sudsy Soapery. I will say that I may have over hydrated the lather. This was because I enjoyed the scent so much I just wanted to keep lathering. So I just kept going, and going, and going! That being said...this was still a great soap to shave with!

Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery - Twice Mint
Razor: Post War Aristocrat
Blade: Polsilver SI (2nd Shave)
Brush: Omega 11574 Boar BRUSH
Aftershave: Thayers Medicated Witch Hazel / Osage Rub

Sudsy Soapery Twice Mint.jpg

Glide: 9/10 - Very nice and slick soap...among the slickest I have tried. Allows the razor to easily go right over the skin.

Cushion: 8/10 - Excellent protection...definitely better than most.

Latherability: 10/10 - One of the easiest soaps I have ever lathered if not the easiest. Quickly got to a very thick and rich lather (that is where I should have stopped...but I just kept going).

Lather Stability: 8/10 - I am going to give this an eight based on slight knowledge of this brand. Despite me over hydrating the soap, the lather maintained itself for most of the shave. It did have some air bubbles in the lather but that is from me over working the lather.

Residual Slickness: 8/10 - Excellent residual slickness...I could touch up based on the soapy water alone.

Scent Strength: 10/10 - This scent maintains and may even increase as the shave goes on. Plenty strong which is perfect for this soap. In my experience, mint type soaps often are not strong nor do they last. This soap is the exception.

Scent Likeness: 10/10 - With a name like Twice Mint I assume the maker is going for a scent similar to Double Mint Gum. It definitely smells like Double Mint Gum...and better. The scent is refreshing and intoxicating at the same time and I honestly just wanted to make lather all night. And no, that isn't a euphemism for anything. I really just wanted to load my brush and make more and more lather!

Post Shave Feel: 8/10 - Pretty good...I just wish it was a little better.

Average Rating: 8.9/10

Sudsy Soapery Twice Mint 2.jpg Sudsy Soapery Twice Mint 3.jpg

Final Thoughts: This is a near perfect soap for me. I am usually not a big mint only in my soap fan, but this stuff is something different. Just the perfect amount of minty feeling on the skin and that intoxicating scent. A great soap over-all. I will DEFINITELY be buying this soap.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Midnight & Two - The Cabin (9) > Sudsy Soapery - Twice Mint (8.9) = Through the Fire Fine Craft - Currants and Roses (8.9) = Sudsy Soapery - Jack Frost (8.9) > Phoenix and Beau - Citra Royale (8.5) > Bain Amour - Monsieur Piquant (8.3) = Maggard Razors - Limes & Bergamot (8.3) > Bluebell - Limewood (8.1) = Barrister & Mann - Lavanille (8.1) > Captain's Choice - North (8) > Chiseled Face - Midnight Stag (7.6) = Viking - Ragnar (7.6) > Shannon's Soap - Silk Pajamas (7.4) > Cella (7.3)

Review from box #3
CRSW Olivia Citrus Paradise (or something like that - I don't have it in front of me)

I'm a big fan of CRSW select and I like their scents too, and I've been anxious to try this scent and this formula

Scent: typical to CRSW, this is a very well done complex scent. I got lemon as the main citrus scent, but it would be beyond me to break this one down. I really enjoyed this, but I still prefer Puro Fresco as my favorite CRSW scent. Strength was medium and stayed about that level through lathering.

Performance:
This soap has the unfortunate situation that it is the sister to a stellar formula. As such, it does an excellent job at providing a non-tallow option, but I would not rate it above the tallow. If you are anti tallow, however, this soap should be on your radar to try. It's one of the best post shave feels from a tallow soap I've had, is easy to lather, and has excellent slickness and above avg cushion. I think the weakest point of this soap for me is the quality of the lather itself. It's on the thin side, and I prefer a creamy yogurty lather (like I get from their Select line).

In summary - great scent on a very nice non-tallow soap.

Surprisingly, the only CRSW that I've ever been able to get to work well for me was that sample. The Select formula (both v1 and v2) have always been just so-so for me.

These came in the mail yesterday for the next round. They sell them in smaller three ounce tins like these as well as six ounce tubs.

View attachment 764115

All of the scents smell great but I'm especially drawn to their Hunting Lodge scent. It's in the same wheelhouse as Tiki The Captain and WSP Formula T Tobacco. An outstanding scent in my opinion.

I might give it a try and post a review soon. This one looks promising to me.

So I gave the Long Rifle Hunting Lodge soap a try today with very positive results.

Razor: Timeless .68 SB
Blade: Feather (8)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers w/24mm Shavemac 2 band Silvertip
Soap: Long Rifle - Hunting Lodge
Aftershave: Soap Commander Courage balm

I'll likely shave with it again tomorrow as I want to make sure I get an accurate assessment of this soap but I'm pretty sure I know where it stands for me. First off the Hunting Lodge soap scent is described as "A masculine blend of bay rum, tobacco, and leather." To me it smells outstanding. I definitely enjoy this scent and want to use it again.

As far as the other attributes I'm not going to put numbers on them as I find that I can't keep them accurate enough to compare a final score to another soap and have it be consistent over a long period of time. A soap that I scored six months ago might not be assigned the proper number compared to the soaps I've tried lately. The bar has definitely been raised over the last couple years as more soap recipes have become available and there are a lot of new vendors making some really great soaps. Finding a really outstanding one or a really bad one is a lot more difficult than finding a good solid performing slightly above average soap. There are also so many things that are subjective that make it difficult to compare them to one another by number.

So on to the soap. The soap is available in six different scents that are available in either a three ounce puck (inside a metal tin) for $10 or a six ounce container with the soap poured in for $18. Shipping is a flat $7. I did prefer a couple of the scents (Hunting Lodge and Leatherstocking) to the others but none to me were bad scents. I think I'd enjoy all of them to some extent if I gave them all a try.

The consistency of the soap is about the same as a Soap Commander soap. It's soft enough to easily press into a tub without being sticky on your hands. Once you press the soap into the container of your choice you'll feel the slickness and moisturizing butters that it contains. This is about the consistency that I prefer as it's soft enough to easily pick up enough soap with your brush, but not so soft where you go through a tub of it way too quickly.

The soap is slightly thirsty as I start lathering it with a drier brush. I add about four drops of water then quickly about four more as it starts to form a gel like consistency. I add a bit more water, about four drops, several more times while lathering. I stop lathering as I have a perfect thick rich lather. This soap lathered very quickly and easily so high marks there. The lather is about perfect as it's not overly airy. It's somewhere between a yogurt consistency and a whipped cream. I have it perfectly just past a gel like state. It easily covers my face with a nice thick lather and I'm not seeing any skin coloration through it.

I take the razor to my face and it glides effortlessly and comfortably over the lather. The lather is plenty slick to make the shave extremely comfortable and enjoyable. This isn't the slickest soap I've used but the slickness is better than average and more than adequate to give me a great shave.

I rinse and feel my face with my hands. My face feels great after the first pass as I can already feel some of the moisturizing qualities of the soap. There's enough slickness left behind that I could likely glide the razor across my bare skin to do some touch up but I elect not to.

The second and third passes are more of the same. Really, really enjoyable as I can't find anything bad to say about this soap. The scent is excellent and the shave is just about effortless.

Overall, I find this soap to be a truly excellent offering. The very first shave soaps that I discovered years ago that possessed excellent moisturizing properties were the Strop Shoppe SE with tallow soaps. If you used these soaps for a couple weeks straight they would actually change your face for the better. These were about as good as it got until the ultra premium soaps like PannaCrema Nuavia and Sudsy Soapery started showing up. So where does this one fall? It's not quite as slick and moisturizing as Sudsy Soapery or PannaCrema Nuavia but I'd put it a good bit higher in these properties then the Strop Shoppe SE soaps.

I've been doing my best to eliminate soaps from my rotation. To narrow it down so that I'm using only the very best soaps made every day. Therefore I'm trying not to buy anything that isn't truly outstanding and a must have. With that goal in mind.... regretfully, I see myself picking up a tub or two of this brand and putting it into my rotation. This soap is excellent and one that I'm comfortable giving a very high recommendation to.

I try so many soaps looking for something outstanding out there. Most often times I finish the shave wishing that I'd used my own soaps. Most soaps I find to be about average or even slightly above average but a disappointment in comparison to my normal offerings. So it's really nice to find one that I'm this fond of.

In terms of quality and performance I'd say it's going to fall somewhere close to my top ten to fifteen of the 500 plus I've tried. I really enjoyed this one and I'm excited to see what you guys think about it in the next round.

Surprisingly, the only CRSW that I've ever been able to get to work well for me was that sample. The Select formula (both v1 and v2) have always been just so-so for me.

I found the V2 and Olivia formulas better than the V1 and about equal in performance to one another. If I remember correctly the Olivia was slightly harder to lather but slightly slicker.

I found the V2 and Olivia formulas better than the V1 and about equal in performance to one another. If I remember correctly the Olivia was slightly harder to lather but slightly slicker.

I would rank them V2, V1, Olivia (but I've less experience with Olivia, so it may just be me ;)

Great news on the Long Rifle soap. My dream has been to find a top quality soap with a scent similar to The Captain. Maybe this will fill the bill?

The Captain has a sweeter scent but this one is really nice as well. It is in that same style. The WSP Formula T Tobacco soap is very enjoyable also and one I user regularly.

So I gave the Long Rifle Hunting Lodge soap a try today with very positive results.

Razor: Timeless .68 SB
Blade: Feather (8)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers w/24mm Shavemac 2 band Silvertip
Soap: Long Rifle - Hunting Lodge
Aftershave: Soap Commander Courage balm

I'll likely shave with it again tomorrow as I want to make sure I get an accurate assessment of this soap but I'm pretty sure I know where it stands for me. First off the Hunting Lodge soap scent is described as "A masculine blend of bay rum, tobacco, and leather." To me it smells outstanding. I definitely enjoy this scent and want to use it again.

As far as the other attributes I'm not going to put numbers on them as I find that I can't keep them accurate enough to compare a final score to another soap and have it be consistent over a long period of time. A soap that I scored six months ago might not be assigned the proper number compared to the soaps I've tried lately. The bar has definitely been raised over the last couple years as more soap recipes have become available and there are a lot of new vendors making some really great soaps. Finding a really outstanding one or a really bad one is a lot more difficult than finding a good solid performing slightly above average soap. There are also so many things that are subjective that make it difficult to compare them to one another by number.

So on to the soap. The soap is available in six different scents that are available in either a three ounce puck (inside a metal tin) for $10 or a six ounce container with the soap poured in for $18. Shipping is a flat $7. I did prefer a couple of the scents (Hunting Lodge and Leatherstocking) to the others but none to me were bad scents. I think I'd enjoy all of them to some extent if I gave them all a try.

The consistency of the soap is about the same as a Soap Commander soap. It's soft enough to easily press into a tub without being sticky on your hands. Once you press the soap into the container of your choice you'll feel the slickness and moisturizing butters that it contains. This is about the consistency that I prefer as it's soft enough to easily pick up enough soap with your brush, but not so soft where you go through a tub of it way too quickly.

The soap is slightly thirsty as I start lathering it with a drier brush. I add about four drops of water then quickly about four more as it starts to form a gel like consistency. I add a bit more water, about four drops, several more times while lathering. I stop lathering as I have a perfect thick rich lather. This soap lathered very quickly and easily so high marks there. The lather is about perfect as it's not overly airy. It's somewhere between a yogurt consistency and a whipped cream. I have it perfectly just past a gel like state. It easily covers my face with a nice thick lather and I'm not seeing any skin coloration through it.

I take the razor to my face and it glides effortlessly and comfortably over the lather. The lather is plenty slick to make the shave extremely comfortable and enjoyable. This isn't the slickest soap I've used but the slickness is better than average and more than adequate to give me a great shave.

I rinse and feel my face with my hands. My face feels great after the first pass as I can already feel some of the moisturizing qualities of the soap. There's enough slickness left behind that I could likely glide the razor across my bare skin to do some touch up but I elect not to.

The second and third passes are more of the same. Really, really enjoyable as I can't find anything bad to say about this soap. The scent is excellent and the shave is just about effortless.

Overall, I find this soap to be a truly excellent offering. The very first shave soaps that I discovered years ago that possessed excellent moisturizing properties were the Strop Shoppe SE with tallow soaps. If you used these soaps for a couple weeks straight they would actually change your face for the better. These were about as good as it got until the ultra premium soaps like PannaCrema Nuavia and Sudsy Soapery started showing up. So where does this one fall? It's not quite as slick and moisturizing as Sudsy Soapery or PannaCrema Nuavia but I'd put it a good bit higher in these properties then the Strop Shoppe SE soaps.

I've been doing my best to eliminate soaps from my rotation. To narrow it down so that I'm using only the very best soaps made every day. Therefore I'm trying not to buy anything that isn't truly outstanding and a must have. With that goal in mind.... regretfully, I see myself picking up a tub or two of this brand and putting it into my rotation. This soap is excellent and one that I'm comfortable giving a very high recommendation to.

I try so many soaps looking for something outstanding out there. Most often times I finish the shave wishing that I'd used my own soaps. Most soaps I find to be about average or even slightly above average but a disappointment in comparison to my normal offerings. So it's really nice to find one that I'm this fond of.

In terms of quality and performance I'd say it's going to fall somewhere close to my top ten to fifteen of the 500 plus I've tried. I really enjoyed this one and I'm excited to see what you guys think about it in the next round.

Wow that's a great review. I'm certainly excited about trying this one now. I noticed on their website that they have a local retailer in my area which carry their products. I can't wait to stop by now to see if I can pick up a shaving soap fun there. They appear to be available in many local boutiques so check out their website if you're interested in trying it!

Dave - I've noticed that some of your recommendations tend to "go viral" in our community. A few of the recent ones I remember are Bain Amour and Midnight and Two. Maybe there are a few more but these come to mind. Would you consider ranking those three for where they stand in your den? Not everyone likes to rank though - and I like the way you put it in your review already. So maybe the question is what soaps do you keep in your rotation?

I can't wait to read reviews of box 4 now! Sounds like an amazing chance for people to try a bunch of new soaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that's a great review. I'm certainly excited about trying this one now. I noticed on their website that they have a local retailer in my area which carry their products. I can't wait to stop by now to see if I can pick up a shaving soap fun there. They appear to be available in many local boutiques so check out their website if you're interested in trying it!

Dave - I've noticed that some of your recommendations tend to "go viral" in our community. A few of the recent ones I remember are Bain Amour and Midnight and Two. Maybe there are a few more but these come to mind. Would you consider ranking those three for where they stand in your den? Not everyone likes to rank though - and I like the way you put it in your review already. So maybe the question is what soaps do you keep in your rotation?

I can't wait to read reviews of box 4 now! Sounds like an amazing chance for people to try a bunch of new soaps.

Yeah, I'm going to use this one a few more times to be sure but I think it might be a really great relatively undiscovered soap. I think it's worth picking up some to try so if you do so please share your thoughts as well by posting a review here in this thread.

As far as my reviews go, I have tried a lot of soaps so some people here do value my opinion. I don't really hype up a soap unless it stands out to me as something really special. These days it's fairly easy to make a relatively good shaving soap and there are a whole lot of them out there. People will encounter these soaps and post glowing reviews of them. I've tried a lot of the soaps that I see these reviews on and I wonder what they are thinking. One vendor comes to mind that makes an about average soap. I've seen some well known reviewers post glowing reviews of this soap and even put it in their top ten of all time. For me, it was average at best and I gave it away. I do watch the You Tube soap reviewers but I take those with a grain of salt as well because they are constantly putting out top soap lists that I don't agree with. I wonder if they need to post a glowing review every so often just to keep their status as an expert, just to have something to talk about, or if they have different standards than I do. I know that I find a ton of usable soaps but not very many that I want to add to my shaving den and not enough that I want to share a glowing review about.

In fact my goal is to use only the very best shaving soaps on the planet. I'm trying to narrow my shave den down to only the very best. I had over 120 soaps in it at one point and that's not what I'm looking for now. Most times when I try the soaps in the passaround I find them to be solid performers that most would be thrilled to use every day. But I usually favor what is in my own shave den over them. I try the new products only in hope that I'll find something worthy to add to my shave den but I come away from most sample shaves knowing that what I'm already using is better.

What I'm looking for are the ones that really stand out in terms of an easy to produce stable thick luxurious lather, an elevated slickness and moisturizing qualities that will make a noticeable difference in your skin if you use them on a daily basis. I've seen a lot of people post reviews about a soap saying it's the best thing ever and you come to find out that they've only tried 20 soaps so far. I think it's important to be super critical in trying a new soap and to be completely honest about it to yourself. I don't really put numbers on soaps to grade them but I put them more into groups. My highest group are the soaps I'd call outstanding. This is the group I'm constantly looking for. The soaps that stand out as being head and shoulders above the rest. These are the truly difficult soaps to find.

Outstanding
Sudsy Soapery - You might not like all of the scents from this soap maker but in terms of hitting the marks in lather moisturizing and slickness there's no denying that this soap is exceptional. It's a soap that you can use three times and actually notice a difference in your skin. The lather is excellent and the slickness is exceptional. The vendors are super nice people making a humble living selling soap products and teaching music lessons. They strive to be good people and they're doing a hell of a great job at it. To them, it's important to keep improving and to keep their product prices low so that everyone can enjoy their products. I've shared my high recommendation for this soap maker because their products are absolutely exceptional. It's an ultra premium soap at an average soap price.

PannaCrema Nuavia- I'm a big fan of the PannaCrema soaps and use them quite a bit. Their Nuavia line is outstanding but it is a bit expensive. However, there are no better scents that have every been produced in a shaving soap. They are expensive rich deep bold scents that I'd rank higher than a lot of colognes that I've paid a hell of a lot of money for. If these scents were available as a cologne I'd buy them in a second. Performance wise the soaps are an outstanding soap with high marks in lather, slickness, and especially after shave feel. You really don't even need an aftershave with this soap. An ultra premium soap at an ultra premium soap price.

PannaCrema Pure2O - This is the lower level line from PannaCrema. The soaps are a bit harder to lather than the Nuavia line but I find them to be slightly slicker. They do have really great scents made by a local purfumer and the after shave feel is excellent. If they lathered a little easier they'd come in a ceramic crock with a $65 price tag and say Nuavia on them. I'm really fond of these soaps and consider them a must try at the $20 mark.

I reach for Sudsy Soapery and PannaCrema products most days as I haven't found anything better yet. In using these soaps they keep my face extremely moisturized and feeling great. They make all of my other soaps better as I tend to rate a soap I'm trying a lot higher after I've used Sudsy Soapery for several days straight. I've learned that I have to stay away from that soap for three or four days in order to get an accurate assessment on a new soap I try. For example, if I use Sudsy Soapery every day then try something like RazoRock XXX, which is a decent soap but nothing exceptional, them my face will feel great and I'll think the XXX is doing it when it's just the fact that I've been moisturizing the hell out of my face with the Sudsy soap for the prior week. If I were to use the XXX every day for a week I'd see diminishing results as the week went on and my face dried back out.

I'm constantly looking for soap in this outstanding category but they are extremely difficult to find. The next category down for me are the excellent soaps. They don't have any glaring weaknesses but they don't have the over the top attributes of my Outstanding soaps. These are soaps that many would rank as the very best they've ever tried and they'd be getting stellar reviews. There are many soaps at the top of my next category down that I do mix in and enjoy using on a regular basis.

Excellent soaps:
If the Long Rifle soap is as good as I think it could be from my initial review I'd put it near the top of this category. It has exceptional slickness and moisturizing combined with a great thick rich lather. It misses the outstanding category not because it doesn't excel but only because it's not quite as slick or moisturizing as the others there. I think that this is a soap that could actually make a difference in your skin. These soaps in this category have no weaknesses and are extremely impressive. I'd rank Cold River Soap Works here as well. Larry is producing some really excellent soaps and constantly striving to improve his products. The Olivia and V2 lines are toward the top of this category for me. I really want to try his new premium line to see if it can break into my outstanding category. Midnight & Two I put toward the top of this category as well for it's slickness and moisturizing properties. There are obviously plenty more here that I haven't listed.

Other soaps that I reach for I do so for different reasons. I reach for Tallow & Steel and the older PannaCrema line because the lather is outstanding. Some of the very best lather I've ever used. They don't have the over the top moisturizing and slickness that I look for in an outstanding soap but they are in my shave den and they do get mixed in. I also reach for Tiki's The Captain and Captain's Choice Lime because they are respectable offerings that I really enjoy the scents of. WSP Formula T Tobacco is in there and I do use that one somewhat regularly. Martin de Candre is in there also though I don't rank it as high as a lot of others. I always get an exceptional shave from it. It's the easiest soap to lather on the planet, but it can be a little drying. Le Pere Lucien I enjoy but don't use that often. Performance wise it's similar to Martin de Candre for me. There are also all three scents of the old AOS tallow soap in there. I use the sandlewood from time to time but the others not so much. Some of the old Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow soaps are present as well as I'Colonalli. I tend to mix these soaps in once every few days to once a week.

Some other soaps that I'm really interested in trying are L&L (as these are getting consistently excellent reviews), Cold River Soap Works Premium line (as I suspect this is one that's going to impress me), Barrister & Mann's Glissiant line (as I want to see what that's about) and Jabonman Eufros (as Manuel has supposedly really stepped it up with this one). There are several unknowns in the list for box four that could certainly surprise me as well.

I don't know if I really answered your question as you asked it but I use Sudsy Soapery and PannaCrema soaps in varying scents about five to six days a week because I really like what they do for my skin. The other days I do mix in some others and revisit some scents I really enjoy.

I repeated the same shave with the Long Rifle soap today, the only difference was one more shave on the Feather blade. The results were the same or maybe even slightly better.

This one is knocking on the door of my outstanding category. I'm confident that the soap is something that I want to use on a regular basis and I'll be ordering a tub of this one for myself.

If you guys try it please let me know what you think.

I don't know if I really answered your question.
No, you more than answered my question. You sir are a real professional at this!

So far new additions in box four will be:
LongRifle Soap Co. - (soap arrived 2/23/17)
Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations - (soap arrived 2/24/17)
Turtleship
Soap Smooth
Razormaster
Crowne & Crane
Sapone di Paolo
Jabonman Eufros
Soap Making Adventure Smooth Operator
Beehive Soap Co.
Fairhope Soap Co.
Obsessive Soap Perfectionist
L&L Grooming

I can't wait to hear about these in box 4, as I haven't heard of the majority.

Have you tried big easy? I just learned of them today in a glowing review by Paul H.

Top Bottom