What's new

Clyde72's Shaving Journal

The Stirling Executive Man is a scent that I own and love in both AS and soap. I also find their balms to be very effective, even though I don't have it in that scent. I tend to purchase the Stirling replacement pucks and have their tins to place them in. I think that it is a great value in shaving soap. The performance of these soaps all have been top tier in my experience, and I am really enjoying the variety of offerings that they have.

2-24-2017
The Cowboy Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0
Shave #16

Pre Shave: LAB Series Invigorating Face Scrub (in shower)
Hot Towel
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4 Plate)
Blade: Rockwell
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Cowboy Willy
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Dove Men+Care Hydrate+ Post Shave Balm
Non Shave Areas: Dove Men+Care Hydrate+ Face Lotion
Cologne: Florida Water

Same routine, drowned the puck while I was showering, dumped, loaded squeezed out brush till lather started to form. Lather in scuttle for 2 to 3 minutes. Good lather. 3 pass shave with the Rockwell for a BBS. Very little alum sting today. Mainly just in a couple places that I expected it. Finished off with the Balm. Since it was going to be a spring like day, splashed on some Florida Water. Nice start to the last work day of the week.

Setup 2-24-2017
Setup-2-24-2017.jpg

This would have been a good day to have played hooky from work. If I hadn't had to use a sick day last Friday, I probably would have. It got up to 80° here today. Very nice Spring like day on this Winter day. Just a little windy. Supposed to rain and turn much cooler. High tomorrow in the 50's. Strange weather.

Nice read today. Everytime I read a post about someone using the Rockwell I get closer and closer to pulling the trigger. One day....

Nice read today. Everytime I read a post about someone using the Rockwell I get closer and closer to pulling the trigger. One day....

I really like mine! I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. Just about every review I've read has been positive.

I got the Rockwell razor for my son last Christmas. He has not yet become a shaving aficionado, but he said it shaved him very well. I am not sure which plate he used. I had gifted him my Futur, which is what he had been shaving with. As is typical of his generation, he shaves every fourth day or so, and he has a pretty heavy beard. Drives me nuts, so I keep gifting him shaving stuff.

nice shave with the Rockwell Craig! We're unseasonably warm over here on the other side of the globe as well...I'm expecting another cold snap before the true warm up takes place, though.

Yes I keep going back and forth between that or ATT. I'll make a decision one day and just do it.

Honestly what pushed me in the Rockwell direction was simple math, $99 for complete set vs $185 razor and 1 plate. If they had been the same price It would have been a difficult decision.

Very Nice

Thanks Dave!

I got the Rockwell razor for my son last Christmas. He has not yet become a shaving aficionado, but he said it shaved him very well. I am not sure which plate he used. I had gifted him my Futur, which is what he had been shaving with. As is typical of his generation, he shaves every fourth day or so, and he has a pretty heavy beard. Drives me nuts, so I keep gifting him shaving stuff.

Keep at him Walt, one of these days he'll realize as we all did that Dad does now a thing or two about shaving. And maybe just maybe a few other things in life too! I gifted my son a "starter" kit for Christmas and he texted me the other day that he had just gotten a BBS shave. Makes me happy! Now if I could get him and and some close friends to join us here. They all wet shave and they are on social media, not a huge leap to make.

nice shave with the Rockwell Craig! We're unseasonably warm over here on the other side of the globe as well...I'm expecting another cold snap before the true warm up takes place, though.

Thanks Josh!

2-25-2017
The Cowboy Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0
Shave #17

Pre Shave: LAB Series Invigorating Face Scrub (in shower)
Hot Towel
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (set on 6)
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Brush: Semogue Excelsior 830
Soap: Cowboy Willy
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Soap Commander Integrity
Non Shave Areas: Bulldog Original Moisturizer
Cologne: Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather eau de Cologne Concentree

Well that was interesting. I decided to move from the Synthetics and give my Semogue Boar a go at the Cowboy Willy. This was my first time to use this brush. Can you say lather hog? I loaded what looked like a good amount of soap on the brush. Worked what looked like the normal amount of lather in the mug and moved to my face. Where did the lather go? This brush just absorbed it. I had to go back to the puck 3 times to complete this shave. The lather was much thinner than normal but still plenty slick and stable. The Fatboy and ASP yielded a good BBS shave. Just a little alum sting in a couple of stubborn areas which was expected. Finished with the Soap Commander Integrity.

Setup 2-25-2017
Setup-2-25-2017.jpg

1st Lather Semogue Excelsior 830
20170225_165008.jpg

This was my 1st use of a boar brush. Other than being a lather hog as stated above, it felt surprisingly smooth and somewhat soft on my face. Good backbone but not stiff or scratchy. I would think it will improve with use as it gets broken in.

I put on some Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather eau de Cologne Concentree for the night. I like the scent of this cologne. It definitely has a leather smell to it in a good masculine way. There is also some citrus and woodsy stuff going on. It's been about 3 hours and still very much there! I may have to figure out a way to get a full bottle of this.

This day got gone in a hurry. I slept in as usual, but was up by 9am. Before I knew it, it was 4pm. Showered and shaved and now I'm at my cigar lounge enjoying a Canimao cigar and some Eagle Rare Bourbon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom