What's new

Lmarkow's Chicken Diary

I should mention, Doc told me a long time ago that I was a new honer's dream, and that they all should send their practice edges to me for ego boosting.

I like your style Larry. You have a certain wisdom about you. I share your opinion (or interpretation of the facts) that so long as the edge CAN cut, it WILL shave. I have several vintage razors that based on my measurements appear to lean toward the bigger angle yet shave like they were lasers. I have one that I inadvertently put a 13-14 degree angle on and it shaves very well but I swear I can feel it about to fillet my face if I dare to lift the spine a hair more. I also just shave tested a razor that I had put an AWESOME bevel on with a 1200 atoma then did about 100 laps on a coticule under running water. I could still see the 1200 scratches with my naked eye but that razor shaved very well and wasn't all that uncomfortable.

In regards to the "optimal" bevel angle for a razor I would add another variable that wasn't mentioned or address in this little experiment. Longevity. How long does the razor maintain an edge that is capable of delivering a proper shave? I suspect an edge with a very narrow bevel angle (like my 13-14* razor) might be less structurally sound and more prone to breaking down and failing. Likewise I suspect the larger the bevel angle the more sound the primary shape of the bevel is and the less likely to breakdown and fail, but more likely to "round" at the edge during use. The question then is, which will be maintained best/longest using just a strop and whatever else you might normally employ? Will a narrower angle be straightened better with a strop? Will a wide angle be prevented from excessive rounding by a strop? Will an edge at one extreme or the other be more prone to failure as a result of repeated use and stropping? I imagine it is possible (IF the mystical mumbo jumbo surrounding the declarations of optimal bevel angle are based at all on actual experience) the optimal angle range includes the ability to maintain a quality edge for a period of time. Of course it is also possible we have all in fallen lock-step and trusted the numbers we have been told.

You have a certain wisdom about you.
Thanks, but I'd normally expect this to be followed by, " . . . bless your heart!" lol

I'm sure there are lots of variables to consider, and lots of ways to conduct the test. Even the perceived (and actual) fragility of the edge is effected by lather quality and the shaver's touch. But I agree with your point, otherwise.

Interesting!
Larry, what made you get going with this test?
Do you find more difference between the razors depending on shaving with shallow or steep angle?

Can anyone confirm this or is it only DOC226 that can make a great shaver out of 25 degrees angle?

DOC226, what did you mean with the pictures?

I'm not sure what got me thinking about testing this, Stefan. It seemed like a worthwhile inquiry, and it gave me an excuse to ask Doc for more edges. I think Doc could make an edge shave using his sidewalk for a hone. lol

I've been wavering on keeping this diary going. I thought I ran out of relevant shaving stuff to memorialize. But this recent health stuff has me back. I had the third angiogram this past Friday. The docs were able to get 2 large stents in the artery that was 100% blocked for almost 1.3". The partially blocked artery will be dealt with next, but I'm no longer in immediate risk. I am very thankful, and I appreciate everyone's kind thoughts and prayers.

Now for the shaving part. The body treats the stents like foreign bodies, which is what they are, and tries to cover them over. Strong anti-clotting medicine is taken to prevent clots and keep blood flowing. Any small cut can be real tough to stop bleeding. A weeper that would have stopped when hit with some cool water or the next lather, will just keep on weeping until the alum gets it. Small "oopses" that would not have left a mark before, now show up immediately. Frankly, I'm intimidated by my razors again.

This has caused some changes, in the couple of shaves I've had since I got home. Perfection is no longer a goal. I do one N/S and one S/N pass, and I'm done. Good enough is good enough, especially to sit in my home office all day on the phone, looking at computer screens. I've dumped the final S/N mostly water pass, stretching from above. For now, I will only shave with "wheel house" razors: 5/8s - 7/8s, and each will be used repeatedly, for consistency's sake. I figure less shaving with more familiar razors will decrease the odds of mishap. So far so good. Just a weeper or two, as I re-learn what ZERO pressure means. My view on this may change, as I learn more and talk with my doctors. But I really do enjoy our hobby/lifestyle(?), and I don't want to give it up yet, if I don't have to.

Anyway, I plan to keep posting here, as I learn stuff or want to otherwise mention, and roll with the punches.

Hey Larry, great to see your post! Glad things are moving along in the right direction. In the big picture, I think that all that swimming you've done in the past has helped out tremendously.

Smart to go with "good enough is good enough". :001_cool:

Hey Larry, great to see your post! Glad things are moving along in the right direction. In the big picture, I think that all that swimming you've done in the past has helped out tremendously. :001_cool:
Thanks Chris. Initially, I was pretty frustrated. I thought I could have been eating bon-bons and smoking all these years to wind up here. But then I learned that the heart can grow blood vessels when blockages occur, and that as a result of all the exercise, my heart grew an inordinate amount of new vessels, creating a "natural bypass." Remarkable stuff, I had no idea our bodies can do to survive. So the swimming, running, etc. did save my life, given what else was going on in there.

Thanks guys. I've said repeatedly that I saved 2 DEs for when I'm too feeble to use a proper razor. I am not ready to declare myself feeble, though others may differ . . . .

Top Bottom