What's new

Need some info on vintage SE razors by aggressiveness

Hi, Would like vintage single edge razors ranked for aggressiveness. From least to most. which would be mild,medium,aggressive. Thanks!
Looking to get into vintage SE razors.
Thanks!

Razor aggression is a highly subjective determination, here's my opinion on razors that I have used:

The Gem Micromatic Open Comb is pretty aggressive. I find the Ever Ready 1924 shovel head and Schick Type E to be somewhere between medium and aggressive, likewise the Autrostrop model B and Ever Ready Streamline/Gem Jewel.

Gem 1912 (and the other 1912 variants), ER 1914, Gem Heavy Flat Top (G-bar), Featherweight and Pushbutton ,all other Micromatics, Shick type G, Valet Autostrop model C - all firmly in the medium aggression camp. Also the Gem Junior and Junior Bar lather catchers.

Schick types after G, Gem Contour/Contour II, PAL injectors - all mild. I personally can't stand the Contour II, others find them to be good shavers.

The most aggressive SE razors are wedge safety razors that can accept modern Gem SE blades like the Rapide, Wotan, C. V. Heljestrand/Kindal, some Wilkinsons, etc.

You'll get a wide range of opinions on this topic. The great thing about vintage SE razors is that most of them can be found for little money relative to their DE contemporaries, the Streamline/Jewel being the exceptions.

Last edited:
Razor aggression is a highly subjective determination, here's my opinion on razors that I have used:

The Gem Micromatic Open Comb is pretty aggressive. I find the Ever Ready 1924 shovel head and Schick Type E to be somewhere between medium and aggressive, likewise the Autrostrop model B and Ever Ready Streamline/Gem Jewel.

Gem 1912 (and the other 1912 variants), ER 1914, Gem Heavy Flat Top (G-bar), Featherweight and Pushbutton ,all other Micromatics, Shick type G, Valet Autostrop model C - all firmly in the medium aggression camp. Also the Gem Junior and Junior Bar lather catchers.

Schick types after G, Gem Contour/Contour II, PAL injectors - all mild. I personally can't stand the Contour II, others find them to be good shavers.

The most aggressive SE razors are wedge safety razors that can accept modern Gem SE blades like the Rapide, Wotan, C. V. Heljestrand/Kindal, some Wilkinsons, etc.

You'll get a wide range of opinions on this topic. The great thing about vintage SE razors is that most of them can be found for little money relative to their DE contemporaries, the Streamline/Jewel being the exceptions.
Ah so a Ever ready 1912 would be in the medium range then. Thank you.

As Salty points out, aggression is really what you make of it. Good example is that of the list above, I would disagree with most of where he categorized them (except for the Contour II). Look at what is out there and pick the one that calls out to you. When you get it, practice with it for a while until you really get to know the razor and then you have a baseline that you can compare others to. One good thing about SE razors is that you are limited in your choice of blades and so that is one less factor to think about. I see so many times in the DE side that if a person has a bad shave, they immediately change to a different blade instead of practicing to get better. Just have fun in your journey, and remember that it is a journey and not a destination.

Maybe this depends on how the Gem is modified to fit in the Rapide? I use a full spine underneath, pushed in a certain distance. I find it hard to nick myself with the Rapide. It's not mild but it's not gnarly either. With a Gem my Rapide is a well disciplined scary looking razor that won't bite.

I knew this was going to be a can of worms...

If I'm not careful my wedge razors will chew me up until the blade settles down after 3 or 4 shaves.

In general, SEs got less aggressive/milder as time went along, with newer versions being milder than older. Though as pointed out, there are exceptions. Here's my list (of the razors I have tried), least to most, as you requested:

SEs:
Mild: Gem Contour (I and II); Gem Push Button; Gem Featherweight, Gem G-Bar (aka heavy Flat Top) and Micromatic Bullet tip (aka Flying wing). (slight differences among these, but all have the same head).
Medium: Gem/ER/Star 1912; Gem Jr.; Treet Fat handle.
Medium Aggressive: Micromatic Clog Pruf, Ever Ready 1914; 1912 Daamaskeene
Aggressive: Open comb Micromatic; Ever Ready 1924; Curved head Damaskeene 1912; Open comb Damaskeene 1912.
Injectors:
Aggressive: Schick/Eversharp Type E; Pal Injectomatic
Meduim: Schick/Eversharp Type G, Type I; Type J
Mild: Schick Type L and later
The Schick Type M and Pal adjustable are ... well ... adjustable:001_cool:.
And, of course, YMMV.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Great question, Cody. Looks like these fine gents gave you great food for thought!

Kindly,
Adam

I did want to know. Which of the vintage SE's feels like a Edwin Jagger DE89 or a Maggards V3 Standard head? Thanks.

I agree with Bob, enough of the asking questions and reading answers. Get one, any one, and move forward from there. It's not like you're buying a $500 Wolfman razor. Most of these SE razors are under $20 on ebay, and some may still be available on BST.

Maybe this depends on how the Gem is modified to fit in the Rapide? I use a full spine underneath, pushed in a certain distance. I find it hard to nick myself with the Rapide. It's not mild but it's not gnarly either. With a Gem my Rapide is a well disciplined scary looking razor that won't bite.

Most Rapide razors do not need blade modification to use Gem blades . Only my Scharff Rapide does as it does not have blade stops and has front of blade set screws to adjust blade height, designed to work with hollow ground wedge blades.

Most Rapide razors do not need blade modification to use Gem blades . Only my Scharff Rapide does as it does not have blade stops and has front of blade set screws to adjust blade height, designed to work with hollow ground wedge blades.
At some point I'll have to get one of the Rapides with the stops. Am glad to see others appreciating these razors. I like the balance, the weight, the handle, the sound, the shave -- my favorite razor by a wide margin.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Great thread. Thanks. I discovered it by searching on Google which often finds stuff on B&B that I can't find using B&B's search function.

Without knowing what I was doing at all I seem to have acquired a nice little collection of SE razors covering a good bit of the territory from mild to aggressive. Not that I've used them yet, but they're sitting, waiting patiently for me to give them a spin.

Having the razors is not the same though as having the razors and the blades. There is a lot to learn as you know.

Thanks for such a helpful discussion.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom