What's new

Clyde72's Shaving Journal

I agree that waiting to hone until you have a good feel for shave is a good idea.

I started with a couple gold dollars and some DMT stones and lapping film. Dan sent me a razor, so I knew what I was aiming for with regards to sharpness. This was very helpful. I know that I would have eventually gotten a good edge on my own. Honestly, I was almost there by the time I received the razor from Dan.

It can be done, but you need some patience and understanding. You don't want to get discouraged.

Sorry I'm late in responding. As I was driving home from work Thursday I started to not feel so good. By the time I got home I was freezing, achy, congested, and headache. Never had that type of sickness hit me that quick and that hard. I'm feeling better today, at least to the point that I'm getting on the computer. Still not 100%, but a huge improvement.

Now on to more important things. 1st of all thinks for all the advice and pointers. That's why I asked this question here. As I suspected the stones are a YMMV kinda thing. I understand that I should learn to shave with a straight before I learn to hone one. The one name that popped up in the stones recommendation was Shapton I'll assume y'all were referring to the Pros?
Lapping film was also recommended to start with. My question is this, if a good edge can be achieved with lapping film and it is cheaper, why would you go to stones?
What I was actually hoping to be able to do was start looking for some stones on the BST and such. Maybe catch some deals and go from there. Nothing wrong with getting stones set one piece at a time right?

2-16-2017
The Cowboy Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0
Shave #12

Pre Shave: Bulldog Original Original Face Scrub (in shower)
Hot Towel
Razor: Edwin Jagger DEL8914BL
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium
Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm Synthetic Shaving Brush, Marble Handle
Soap: Cowboy Willy
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Floid Sauve Aftershave
Non Shave Areas: LAB Series Pro LS All-In-One Facial Treatment

Well I got sick Thursday evening and I'm just not felling like getting my last shave entered. Got a pretty good lather with the Cowboy. I had left it uncovered and soaked it while I showered. Dumped the water and started loading the Maggard brush. Once a some lather started appearing on the puck I moved to the scuttle. Later was nice and slick and didn't dissipate. Finished off with the Floid Sauve Aftershave. A good BBS shave.

Setup-2-16-2017.jpg

This was the 1st lather on the Maggard Razors 24mm Synthetic Shaving Brush, Marble Handle brush. This brush is ever bit as good if not just slightly better than the RazoRock Plissoft. Nice backbone, nothing like the Whipped Dog or Plissoft Silvertip, but nice. Good soft feel on the face, just a little firmness. Good Brush for $12.

The Floid Suave After Shave went on very smooth at first, nice light powdery smell, I was thinking where is the menthol, isn't this supposed to have menthol? Then the menthol slowly started and while it didn't get to be too much for me, it was right on the edge. It hung around for about 2 or 3 minutes too. I'm not super turned on by this scent, but I'm not turned off by it either. It lasted about 2 hours or so.

As stated above I've been sick the last few days, missed work on Friday. I'm feeling better today after what I was afraid was a relapse, this morning, as I was struck with chills after breakfast. 30 minutes under a blanket and I was good. Hopefully this is about done running its course. I think I'll shower and shave just to see if that makes me feel better.

Well Craig Great read and with the Triple Whammy of being sick, Chad's devious Bingo calls, and your continued purgatory in the World of Willy. I would take a BBS and run with it. Hope you get well soon

The one name that popped up in the stones recommendation was Shapton I'll assume y'all were referring to the Pros?

Lapping film was also recommended to start with. My question is this, if a good edge can be achieved with lapping film and it is cheaper, why would you go to stones?

Sorry to hear that you're feeling under the weather Craig...get feeling better soon.

IRT to the first question, I personally have the Pro's, but many other people use the Shapton Glass Stones. Both are synthetic, and are very good stones. Hardness is a good thing since the stone will not dish very easily and require being re-lapped less often. I've heard good things about the Naniwa super stones and Nortons. Chosera 1k is many peoples choice for a bevel setter.

Lapping film is definitely a way to hone your razors, and there is nothing that says you ever have to move from film to stones. However, each different medium is going to give you a different edge quality. Some people find lapping film edges, and to a degree synthetic edges, a little 'harsh', while others think they're wonderful. If you're in the former group, this is where natural stones come into play, as a stone like a coticule, for example, is reknowned for the smooth edges that it produces. for Coti's, there are different veins of stone, as Chris L and Chris H have pointed out in their articles, that have different honing properties. There are also arkansas stones, which along with coti's, I have zero experience with. But a few of the cadre members do and have gotten very good edges off of them.

JNATs are a world unto themselves...JNAT's can deliver very smooth edges as well, but, depending on the finishing stone you use (hardness), can give an edge that cuts the space time continuum, without the harshness that comes along with some synthetics.

With all of that being said, there are people on B&B that hone with different types of mediums. @Slash McCoy uses lapping film and balsa strops, along with other honing methods, while I've read that @Doc226 gets unbelievably good JNAT edges. (A couple of the journal members can attest to this). There are plenty of other honers on the forums, so pick their brain and try edges out from different honing mediums to see what you prefer on your face.

Well Craig Great read and with the Triple Whammy of being sick, Chad's devious Bingo calls, and your continued purgatory in the World of Willy. I would take a BBS and run with it. Hope you get well soon

Thanks Dave!

Too bad you're sick, hope you feel better. Been under the weather myself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hope you get to feeling better too!

Get feeling better

Thanks!

Sorry to hear that you're feeling under the weather Craig...get feeling better soon.

IRT to the first question, I personally have the Pro's, but many other people use the Shapton Glass Stones. Both are synthetic, and are very good stones. Hardness is a good thing since the stone will not dish very easily and require being re-lapped less often. I've heard good things about the Naniwa super stones and Nortons. Chosera 1k is many peoples choice for a bevel setter.

Lapping film is definitely a way to hone your razors, and there is nothing that says you ever have to move from film to stones. However, each different medium is going to give you a different edge quality. Some people find lapping film edges, and to a degree synthetic edges, a little 'harsh', while others think they're wonderful. If you're in the former group, this is where natural stones come into play, as a stone like a coticule, for example, is reknowned for the smooth edges that it produces. for Coti's, there are different veins of stone, as Chris L and Chris H have pointed out in their articles, that have different honing properties. There are also arkansas stones, which along with coti's, I have zero experience with. But a few of the cadre members do and have gotten very good edges off of them.

JNATs are a world unto themselves...JNAT's can deliver very smooth edges as well, but, depending on the finishing stone you use (hardness), can give an edge that cuts the space time continuum, without the harshness that comes along with some synthetics.

With all of that being said, there are people on B&B that hone with different types of mediums. @Slash McCoy uses lapping film and balsa strops, along with other honing methods, while I've read that @Doc226 gets unbelievably good JNAT edges. (A couple of the journal members can attest to this). There are plenty of other honers on the forums, so pick their brain and try edges out from different honing mediums to see what you prefer on your face.

Thanks Josh!

I appricate all of you taking the time to impart you wisdom to me.

2-18-2017
The Cowboy Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0
Shave #13

Pre Shave: Dove Men+Care Deep Clean+ Face Scrub (in shower)
Hot Towel
Razor: Edwin Jagger DEL8914BL
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium
Brush: RazoRock Disruptor
Soap: Cowboy Willy
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport (Glass Bottle)
Non Shave Areas: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream

Well I decided that 60 hours plus was long enough and I was feeling up to it, so I decided to shower and shave. I thought about getting a new blade and different razor for this shave. But I decided to go with the PolSilver and see what happened. I was a little worried as this is the 14th shave on this blade. This blade showed just a little hint of pulling on the 3rd pass. I think it might have one more shave left in it. We'll see.
I decided to stay with a synthetic brush since that have been doing well the last few lathers. Same routine. Since it's been 60 plus hours since my last shave, the Cowboy puck is dry. I drowned and showered. Dumped the water, gave the Disruptor a good squeeze and proceeded to make lather. Loaded the same till lather started to form on the puck and then moved to the scuttle. Nice slickness and cushion, but for some reason not much residual slickness. The lather was stable though. I did a 3 pass shave and wound up with a BBS. Finished up with the Aqua Velva. I told SWMBO I may not look better, but I feel better and I know I smell better. :)

Setup 2-18-2017
Setup-2-18-2017.jpg

Normally I'd review the Aqua Velva, but due to my sinuses not cooperating I'll save that for a better time.

Sorry to hear about the sickness Craig, and hope you're at 100% soon.

Regarding your lapping film question, the sharpest and most consistent edges I've gotten yet have been from lapping film, and they even have a degree of smoothness that I was not expecting considering their reputation. There are a few reasons that I moved on from it, though I still use it often enough. For one, honing on lapping film is only a means to an end for me. I want a good edge on a razor and the film can give that, usually with a minimum of fuss. With natural stones there is more of an enjoyment of the journey that I can't get with lapping film, and it is easier to use the honing as a form of relaxation with the Welsh slate, Jnat or Arkie. The downside is that each natural stone has it's own characteristics, and plenty of time and honing is required to learn them. One of the reasons that lapping film is so great to start with is that you can decide if you even want to get into honing with a minimum of investment. Whether or not you ever move on from there is a choice you'll make when you're teetering on the edge of the rabbit hole, usually after you've just gotten a BBS with a razor that you honed yourself.

Another reason is that I will probably always be in search of the stone that will give the perfect edge, which is most likely a futile endeavor but won't keep me from trying lol. I've gotten really good results using both lapping film and the Welsh slates as my midrange stones, then going to the Ark to finish, but not every razor has responded well to that.

Part of both the fun(and sometimes the frustration) of natural stones is learning the nuances of each, but when you nail the edge on one it's great feeling, and you can't wait to get back and try to duplicate that accomplishment.

Sorry to hear about the sickness Craig, and hope you're at 100% soon.

Regarding your lapping film question, the sharpest and most consistent edges I've gotten yet have been from lapping film, and they even have a degree of smoothness that I was not expecting considering their reputation. There are a few reasons that I moved on from it, though I still use it often enough. For one, honing on lapping film is only a means to an end for me. I want a good edge on a razor and the film can give that, usually with a minimum of fuss. With natural stones there is more of an enjoyment of the journey that I can't get with lapping film, and it is easier to use the honing as a form of relaxation with the Welsh slate, Jnat or Arkie. The downside is that each natural stone has it's own characteristics, and plenty of time and honing is required to learn them. One of the reasons that lapping film is so great to start with is that you can decide if you even want to get into honing with a minimum of investment. Whether or not you ever move on from there is a choice you'll make when you're teetering on the edge of the rabbit hole, usually after you've just gotten a BBS with a razor that you honed yourself.

Another reason is that I will probably always be in search of the stone that will give the perfect edge, which is most likely a futile endeavor but won't keep me from trying lol. I've gotten really good results using both lapping film and the Welsh slates as my midrange stones, then going to the Ark to finish, but not every razor has responded well to that.

Part of both the fun(and sometimes the frustration) of natural stones is learning the nuances of each, but when you nail the edge on one it's great feeling, and you can't wait to get back and try to duplicate that accomplishment.

Thanks Eric! Good Information!

nice shave with the Cowboy Willy! Looks like it might be coming down to the end for you, (hopefully) soon! Glad to hear that you're feeling better...hope it keeps up Craig.

Nice Read and shave Craig, sorry about the sniffer and what Eric said is spot on. There is no Mojo to Film, but it works tremendously, but indeed there is something to putting the blade on a rock, and learning how bad you can butterknife an edge one day and create a singer the next. the good thing about having film, is that is give you a guaranteed back up plan

Nice Read and shave Craig, sorry about the sniffer and what Eric said is spot on. There is no Mojo to Film, but it works tremendously, but indeed there is something to putting the blade on a rock, and learning how bad you can butterknife an edge one day and create a singer the next. the good thing about having film, is that is give you a guaranteed back up plan

Thanks Dave! Always good to have a plan "B"!

So with the late shave yesterday, no need to shave today. Tomorrow I have an appointment to get a haircut and shave, that is if I'm feeling up to it.
I do feel better today! Still not 100%. Still congested so my sniffer is not working. So I felt like doing something shave related. So I mixed up my 4 more Bootlegger's. Notice the level of the Maduro bottle is much less than the others. Yes I managed to spill most of the Vitos Colonia Tobacco :sad: Also notice that the Lime Bay Rum is full to the rim. Slight miscalculation on the the amounts on that one. One of these days I will learn to add. Hmmm that wouldn't have happened if I'd had a bigger graduated cylinder....off to amazon I go! :wink: Sure wish I could smell these now. Hopefully my congestion and sinuses will clear up soon!
20170219_170554.jpg

Top Bottom