What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

As it turns out, I didn't care for the extra step of bowl lathering. Lathering in the mug is quicker and somehow more enjoyable. It uses up more soap, but who cares at this point. If I wanted to save money, I'd shave with Bic or Shick disposables and Walmart Equate foam like I used to do in my younger years.
I keep a mound of my Arko Frankensoap in my re-purposed wide mouth coffee mug. It has settled into a puck with gradual use. I'm not sure what I am doing different from you, sir, but this seems very sparing of soap usage to me. It feels like I barely use any. My method is simple: wet the synthetic brush and swirl it in the mug for a few minutes. A big mass of lather will form eventually, much more than I will need with my normal 1 pass shave.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I keep a mound of my Arko Frankensoap in my re-purposed wide mouth coffee mug. It has settled into a puck with gradual use. I'm not sure what I am doing different from you, sir, but this seems very sparing of soap usage to me. It feels like I barely use any. My method is simple: wet the synthetic brush and swirl it in the mug for a few minutes. A big mass of lather will form eventually, much more than I will need with my normal 1 pass shave.
That’s pretty much what I do. A puck lasts about two months. I think that is a little short in length.

Jay21

Woow I used to build lather on top of the puck in my very early days. I did not realize that that uses a lot of soap.
I'm experimenting now by using less water. I wrung out the brush as much as I could today and loaded it. Then, I added a little water to the mug on top of the puck and continued to swirl. The lather was nice and we'll see if it ends up using more, less, or the same amount of soap as what I've been doing. Arko is cheap enough I don't mind wasting a little since I really don't like bowl lathering. If it was some $50 per tub artisan soap from Italy, I'd get out an analytical balance and count the soap molecules.

I'm experimenting now by using less water. I wrung out the brush as much as I could today and loaded it. Then, I added a little water to the mug on top of the puck and continued to swirl. The lather was nice and we'll see if it ends up using more, less, or the same amount of soap as what I've been doing. Arko is cheap enough I don't mind wasting a little since I really don't like bowl lathering. If it was some $50 per tub artisan soap from Italy, I'd get out an analytical balance and count the soap molecules.
Exactly! Arko is not expensive so if it lasts two months per puck it is not the end of the world. Have you face lathered Arko?

I've tried face lathering a few times, but since I don't like to splay the brush, it's still easier for me to mug lather. I have to be careful to not overdo it with the brush because I can get brush burn.
I see. I am a splaying fool then LOL. Brush burn even with the RR400 and synthetics in general? You must have pretty sensitive skin then. Now a fresh not broken in boar brush face lathering, I find a bit harsh myself, but otherwise no issues. I must have skin like...
Crocodile Nile GIF

Jay21

I see. I am a splaying fool then LOL. Brush burn even with the RR400 and synthetics in general? You must have pretty sensitive skin then. Now a fresh not broken in boar brush face lathering, I find a bit harsh myself, but otherwise no issues. I must have skin like...
Crocodile Nile GIF
I definitely get brush burn from boars in general. If I overdo it with synthetics, I can feel it in the aftershave.

I definitely get brush burn from boars in general. If I overdo it with synthetics, I can feel it in the aftershave.
Crocodile Nile GIF

I definitely can get brush burn from synths, I have to use a light hand with the RR400 myself. Boars, generally, I have had less problem with once broken in, to the point that I can and often do face lather with my Proraso Pro. Sometimes I think I'm more sensitive to thinner fibers, I can even overdo it with a good silvertip.

The one synth that doesn't bug me at all is the Vielong I have, though, and those fibers seem to be pretty fine.

I definitely can get brush burn from synths, I have to use a light hand with the RR400 myself. Boars, generally, I have had less problem with once broken in, to the point that I can and often do face lather with my Proraso Pro. Sometimes I think I'm more sensitive to thinner fibers, I can even overdo it with a good silvertip.

The one synth that doesn't bug me at all is the Vielong I have, though, and those fibers seem to be pretty fine.
Wow that is very interesting. Never thought of that. I can see it though. Too small diameter fibers.

Jay21

I know my boars aren't broken in because I haven't given them the face to time break them in. Once I discovered synthetics, there was no going back.

I know my boars aren't broken in because I haven't given them the face to time break them in. Once I discovered synthetics, there was no going back.
You can always try the soak then strop break in method. It will shorten break in time quite a bit. That is what I have been doing on my new boars. Now there are boar brushes and there are boar brushes too. My Omega 10065 broke in and is nice and soft, but the Omega 81052 banded boar is fighting me. I am winning though, but it is taking a lot longer time. Maybe you have the same issue as @Darth Scandalous that the synthetic bristles are too fine for face lathering and using a boar might not be a problem. I do not know.

I find that boars seem to break in a little faster with repetitive bowl lathering, I assume because the bowl is harder than my face. I limit myself to light painting strokes for however long that takes. And a lot of wet/dry cycles help too.

I have one of Rudy's brushes coming with the Semogue boar knot, so I'll see how that goes. I did have a vintage Ever-ready that never did break in, and it was used when I got it.

Jay21

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 butterscotch noir
Soap: Arko, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: RR Game Changer 68P
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: No
Aftershave: Skin Bracer and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: None
Result: DFS (stubble ATG on neck)

Splendid shave this morning. I made the Arko extra thick this morning and it delivered. For some reason, I get closer shaves as the lather gets thicker. I think it's because it stands up my hair a little better, which lie flat against the skin. The Game Changer 68 has never shaved me this close. It's starting to approach Lupo territory now.

@blethenstrom you mentioned in your journal the backbone of the RR 400 Plissoft. I agree that the backbone is not what other brushes have. I do like the extra soft tips, though. If you really like the RR 400 but want some more backbone, the butterscotch noir is what you seek. I think that's the better brush. It has more backbone, releases the lather a little better, and the lighter plastic handle is a little easier to whip around your face. And the clang against the mug isn't as load when you inevitably end up smacking it, which is nice when you're trying to keep noise down for the Mrs. I held off purchasing and using the butterscotch version because the Mrs. is a little picky on what can be displayed in the bathroom, including colors. Yes, she color coordinates the towels and bath mats. Once she agreed the orange wasn't too hideous, I put the brush into more use and it has delivered.

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 butterscotch noir
Soap: Arko, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: RR Game Changer 68P
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: No
Aftershave: Skin Bracer and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: None
Result: DFS (stubble ATG on neck)

Splendid shave this morning. I made the Arko extra thick this morning and it delivered. For some reason, I get closer shaves as the lather gets thicker. I think it's because it stands up my hair a little better, which lie flat against the skin. The Game Changer 68 has never shaved me this close. It's starting to approach Lupo territory now.

@blethenstrom you mentioned in your journal the backbone of the RR 400 Plissoft. I agree that the backbone is not what other brushes have. I do like the extra soft tips, though. If you really like the RR 400 but want some more backbone, the butterscotch noir is what you seek. I think that's the better brush. It has more backbone, releases the lather a little better, and the lighter plastic handle is a little easier to whip around your face. And the clang against the mug isn't as load when you inevitably end up smacking it, which is nice when you're trying to keep noise down for the Mrs. I held off purchasing and using the butterscotch version because the Mrs. is a little picky on what can be displayed in the bathroom, including colors. Yes, she color coordinates the towels and bath mats. Once she agreed the orange wasn't too hideous, I put the brush into more use and it has delivered.
Oh yes it is soft and pleasant on my face. We will see if I get the RR400 noir in the future, but the Plissoft is doing just great for now. Yes the clanking against the mug with the aluminum handle I can see. You have to be careful not to chip that ceramic mug with it. Fortunately since I face lather I do not have that issue. My dear wife has commented on my color combinations before, but in clothing. She will give me this face if she does not approve and I have no other option than to reevaluate my choices.
Tfd101 GIF by Tacoma FD

Top Bottom