What's new

Muhle STF XL - It is that good!

Rob does have some really nice handles available in this drop...:ouch1:
Yes sir, I told him if he drops some Yeti themed handles I am in trouble.. then he had to drop one that was named "Abominable".. I am not a strong man... purposely avoided the drop time to see if it was fate if it was leftover later last night.

Reactions: Kix
SOTDTIBBSS8.jpg

Ti Blackbird / Gillette Perma-Sharp / Stirling Spice / C&H STF XL / Proraso Green

Reactions: Kix
Hello everyone!

I really like the muhle STF fiber and I have two brushes with this fiber. Would anyone knows why brushes with this fiber are not dense? Is there constraint from adding more fibers?

And then Andrew (AP Shave Co) just received delivery of the 30% plant based STF knots. He reports that they're quite a bit denser. I think Rudy has them as well.

... Thom
Not yet…supposed to be delivered next week or so. Will have both the plant and original for people to choose from on the website (clearly labeled) once they arrive!

Until then the current stock on the site is the original fiber

Hello everyone!

I really like the muhle STF fiber and I have two brushes with this fiber. Would anyone knows why brushes with this fiber are not dense? Is there constraint from adding more fibers?
I’ve asked the same question to muhle, originally requesting a 27mm knot. That idea got shot down for the time being, but they have offered me a knot with 20% extra density. Should be coming with my plant based STF shipment

I’ve asked the same question to muhle, originally requesting a 27mm knot. That idea got shot down for the time being, but they have offered me a knot with 20% extra density. Should be coming with my plant based STF shipment

Hello! So these new brushes should have the same diameter but more dense?

Yes same diameter - 23mm and 25mm.

Thank you for your answer. Seems like a good idea to get more dense brushes. Just to be sure I understood: you will have two kinds of plant based knot, the first one with a density similar to the previous one (non plant based), and another one (also plant based) with 20% more density?

My opinion on Muhle going to a more dense version of the STF would be a mistake as the current offering has probably more backbone than I like and more density would just add to that and make it an unusable knot for me... I want a brush that doesn't fight me when I want to splay it and the current offering already does enough of that.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My opinion on Muhle going to a more dense version of the STF would be a mistake as the current offering has probably more backbone than I like and more density would just add to that and make it an unusable knot for me... I want a brush that doesn't fight me when I want to splay it and the current offering already does enough of that.
I do agree, I never understood why people want dense, overstuffed brushes so much. Makes no sense to me. The STF's are just perfect!

I thought the STF was a perfect knot and I don't know why they want to mess with perfection! I don't own more because the money value against the USD has tanked so badly that even my local B&M isn't ordering anything from overseas, right now.

I do agree, I never understood why people want dense, overstuffed brushes so much. Makes no sense to me. The STF's are just perfect!
Good point guys. I let my enthusiasm get the best of me.

I'd also go with +2-3mm more loft with the standard density knot (relative to both Andrew's and Rudy's preferred layup).

No doubt, there's an equivalent in the denser knot, but we won't know what that is without experimentation (to retain the same or better splaying characteristics).

What would be the point unless you wanted a stiffer brush?

... Thom

Last edited:
Top Bottom