What's new

The New Blackland Sabre GEM!

I received a Blackland newsletter email this morning. The email talks about the new Sabre!
Seems like they're finishing up the new one and even state that they possibly might be ready for sale
sometime this month!
Exciting to see how they can improve on an already great razor.
As much as I love the old one, I can't wait for this new one to come out!

Sabre Prototype
Personna GEM

The testing phase of a new razor is my favorite! Usually I have a concept for a new razor in my head for months before I actually get to use it. I mentally "design" it many times over before I put pen to paper and begin to really build something. Then CAD work. Then 3D printing the concept. Then, FINALLY, a machined razor. The anticipation (and nerves) is always higher when it's testing a novel concept like we're doing with the Sabre. You think it's going to work the way it does in my head and on the computer screen, but I'm never actually confident until that first machined sample is in my hand.

This week we still don't have a full Sabre prototype, but we were able to machine and test the component whose function I was most concerned with and it worked perfectly!

I still can't tell you much about the new Sabre, but like all new Blackland razors, it brings something new to the table. I've long said that we'll never introduce a new Blackland razor to the permanent lineup unless it innovates in some way. The new Sabre keeps much of the original architecture while adding versatility and maneuverability. It has more shave levels, a grippier handle, weighs less, keeps the robust three-piece design, and looks a bit sleeker. In every way, this is a razor that builds upon the strengths of its predecessor and I'm excited to share it with you. With any luck, we'll be ready to share photos and/or video of the new Sabre this month and possibly take orders shortly thereafter. There's still a lot of work to do, but it feels amazing to see it all coming together and to hold a least part of the razor that's been a reality only in my head for months.

Sabre Prototype
Personna GEM

The testing phase of a new razor is my favorite! Usually I have a concept for a new razor in my head for months before I actually get to use it. I mentally "design" it many times over before I put pen to paper and begin to really build something. Then CAD work. Then 3D printing the concept. Then, FINALLY, a machined razor. The anticipation (and nerves) is always higher when it's testing a novel concept like we're doing with the Sabre. You think it's going to work the way it does in my head and on the computer screen, but I'm never actually confident until that first machined sample is in my hand.

This week we still don't have a full Sabre prototype, but we were able to machine and test the component whose function I was most concerned with and it worked perfectly!

I still can't tell you much about the new Sabre, but like all new Blackland razors, it brings something new to the table. I've long said that we'll never introduce a new Blackland razor to the permanent lineup unless it innovates in some way. The new Sabre keeps much of the original architecture while adding versatility and maneuverability. It has more shave levels, a grippier handle, weighs less, keeps the robust three-piece design, and looks a bit sleeker. In every way, this is a razor that builds upon the strengths of its predecessor and I'm excited to share it with you. With any luck, we'll be ready to share photos and/or video of the new Sabre this month and possibly take orders shortly thereafter. There's still a lot of work to do, but it feels amazing to see it all coming together and to hold a least part of the razor that's been a reality only in my head for months.
Thanks for posting that!
I wanted to but had accidentally deleted the email.

Decisions decisions. I was planning on buying a vector light. Mainly as i always struggle to get under my nose. I was slightly worried about the cost of blades in my country. Gem blades are so much cheaper but will the razor be small enough to get under my nose. Damn you blackland!

Decisions decisions. I was planning on buying a vector light. Mainly as i always struggle to get under my nose. I was slightly worried about the cost of blades in my country. Gem blades are so much cheaper but will the razor be small enough to get under my nose. Damn you blackland!
Wow, GEM blades are cheaper?
In the USA, GEM blades are expensive along with AC & injector blades. The most expensive would probably be the
Feather FHS-10 SE blades though.
DE blades are ridiculously cheap here! (even though I'm sure you were comparing pricing between GEM & AC blades)
As for the size, the current Sabre is actually pretty slim considering the size of the GEM blade and I'd say that
the slimmest GEM would be the Atelier Durdan Vestige. But none will be slimmer than a Vector!

This all sounds great except the lighter weight. I like heft, but it’s no big deal since I’ll add my own handle. I look forward to seeing the new Sabre and hope it is as good as the first version.

Im surprised the first version wasn’t just offered with a L3-L4 plate since it had very favorable reviews. It will be interesting to see if some prefer the first version or the latest.

I never purchased one but it was a razor I always planned to purchase at some point. I have a Shield GEM razor on the way and would like to buy the Vestige and this newest Sabre if the reviews are good. Usually Blackland razors are well received.

Thanks

So GEM blades are £16.80 for a hundred. Where’s the feather ac blades are £60 per 100. These prices exclude vat. I’m looking at this website Feather Artist Club Professional Razor Blades PB-20 - https://www.connaughtshaving.com/feapb20.html

I figured the vector would likely be the more nimble razor.
That's where I (and many here) buy the blades from, LOL!!
It's funny, the Gem's are made here, get shipped to the UK and then we buy them
and they get shipped back here again. And it's cheaper that way than buying them from
any USA vendor. Makes no sense!!
As for AC blades, have you tried the Schick Proline P-20 & P-30 blades (Made in Japan)?
Best AC blade (for me) and for lots of B&B members!
An excellent blade!

I never purchased one but it was a razor I always planned to purchase at some point. I have a Shield GEM razor on the way and would like to buy the Vestige and this newest Sabre if the reviews are good. Usually Blackland razors are well received.
I have the Sabre L2, Shield GEM in aluminum and Shield GEM in stainless
(and previously had one of the first run titanium ones).
My favorite in function is the Shield in stainless. And pricewise it's a no brainer.
It's got a bit more punch than the Sabre because of the increased blade gap and exposure.
And it seems to have no alignment issues where the Sabre has a bit of play before tightening it
down. Shield is making incredibly affordable razors with super tight tolerances. And the current ones
have an excellent finish as well.
The Sabre takes the prize for form though. It's a beautiful razor!
As for the Vestige, I gave it a shot and liked nothing about it. Others here really like it but I found it to
be a rough shaver, tolerances weren't great (hard to install the blade as if it didn't exactly always fit correctly)
and the finish wasn't up to par with it's price point and other similarly priced razors.
I have razors half the price of the Vestige that have a better finish!
The only good thing I found was how slim the head was for a GEM but that wasn't enough for me to keep it.
That was my personal experience though! YMMV!!

I have the Sabre L2, Shield GEM in aluminum and Shield GEM in stainless
(and previously had one of the first run titanium ones).
My favorite in function is the Shield in stainless. And pricewise it's a no brainer.
It's got a bit more punch than the Sabre because of the increased blade gap and exposure.
And it seems to have no alignment issues where the Sabre has a bit of play before tightening it
down. Shield is making incredibly affordable razors with super tight tolerances. And the current ones
have an excellent finish as well.
The Sabre takes the prize for form though. It's a beautiful razor!
As for the Vestige, I gave it a shot and liked nothing about it. Others here really like it but I found it to
be a rough shaver, tolerances weren't great (hard to install the blade as if it didn't exactly always fit correctly)
and the finish wasn't up to par with it's price point and other similarly priced razors.
I have razors half the price of the Vestige that have a better finish!
The only good thing I found was how slim the head was for a GEM but that wasn't enough for me to keep it.
That was my personal experience though! YMMV!!
That’s great feedback, thanks for your input. It’s probably the first negative I’ve heard on the Vestige. What plate were you using?

Also any chance you tried the La Faulx? Was curious if you had a similar issue with it.

The Shield I ordered was SS, it’s what I always go for since I like the weight and durability. I also ordered a Romulus. If I like these I’ll likely try out Shields AC format & half DE. They do seem to have good reviews for the price.

Your review makes Shield sound a bit like RazoRock. I love my RR razors and think they are a bargain for the price. Still looking for the razor to dethrone my .84p and I’m sure some day I’ll find it. But the .84p is a great razor for many shavers.

That’s great feedback, thanks for your input. It’s probably the first negative I’ve heard on the Vestige. What plate were you using?

Also any chance you tried the La Faulx? Was curious if you had a similar issue with it.

The Shield I ordered was SS, it’s what I always go for since I like the weight and durability. I also ordered a Romulus. If I like these I’ll likely try out Shields AC format & half DE. They do seem to have good reviews for the price.

Your review makes Shield sound a bit like RazoRock. I love my RR razors and think they are a bargain for the price. Still looking for the razor to dethrone my .84p and I’m sure some day I’ll find it. But the .84p is a great razor for many shavers.
If I recall correctly, Larry had the ++ plate on his Vestige. I’ve tried that plate too and I felt it was too harsh as well. I have the standard Classique plate and the Vestige is very smooth with that. Pretty much identical to the WR3 0.50 plate that I have. I think the Vestige is excellent with the Classique plate.

The base plates are expensive, though, and I totally understand why, if Larry didn’t love the Vestige he had, he wouldn’t be keen to spend even more money to see if he liked the milder plate better.

This has me leaning more towards the WR3 over the Vestige. The price for head only is just a few bucks more then a Vestige head and I think I’d like the additional weight.

I’ll see how I like my Shield first but at the moment the WR3 or maybe new Sabre will be my follow up. It looks like a .60 blade gap on the WR3 would probably be about right for me but imagine anywhere from .50-.70 would work. I’ve never seen any mention of Wolfman selling additional baseplates so assume he doesn’t offer the plate without cap?

This has me leaning more towards the WR3 over the Vestige. The price for head only is just a few bucks more then a Vestige head and I think I’d like the additional weight.

I’ll see how I like my Shield first but at the moment the WR3 or maybe new Sabre will be my follow up. It looks like a .60 blade gap on the WR3 would probably be about right for me but imagine anywhere from .50-.70 would work. I’ve never seen any mention of Wolfman selling additional baseplates so assume he doesn’t offer the plate without cap?
Wolfman never sells separate base plates. He machines the razor head parts to fit together perfectly as a unit.

The WR3 is a very beautiful razor, in my opinion. For me the WR3 0.50 and Vestige Classique were absolutely equal in shave feel and performance but are very different in handling. The Vestige is a lightweight razor and with the small head it is easier to adapt to if you are used to AC or DE format razors. The WR3 head is large and much heavier, and there is a big offset between the handle and the blade edge which took me a couple of shaves to get comfortable with. The Vestige is actually a prettier design than you might think from photos (especially if you buy the stand), and the blade sticking out at the back looks right in person. But I think there’s something really nice about the large WR3 head if you have basic polished finish - it looks quite special.

Both superb GEM razors, in my opinion. Remember you need to shave extremely shallow with any GEM razor - with the blade as flat to your face as it will go. When used right I find GEM blades give an extremely smooth shave - more so than DE or AC blades.

FD493938-D7EF-4C89-8058-DC70BEE94871.jpeg

I personally like the big head on the WR3 best but the comb on the Vestige looks better. The only negative thing I could see is the handle being offset like you said, I’m not sure I’d notice it much.

I’ve used a lot of DEs, never used the AC yet because the Hawk V2 I have must be messed up as it feels extremely aggressive but I’m excited to try the Romulus I have on order.

Between the vintage Schick injectors and GEM Micromatic/G Bar I have maybe 15-20 shaves on each platform. The GEMs were a couple years back and I always planned to revisit them. I do remember they produced good shaves but weren’t quite as smooth as my go to DE razor. I didn’t find them overly aggressive and would probably like a WR3 with similar aggression to the Micromatic or maybe a step above it.

On the Schick I have only used the adjustable M so far and usually leave it at the highest 8+ setting on the dial. I don’t find it very aggressive on the highest setting but perhaps it’s just that particular M. I have another I plan to test out soon. My first 10 shaves were with a vintage Krona Chrome blade but after that I used the Personna and thought it was a smoother blade. I still need to test out the Chicks & B-20s, & Black Label.

I had the superior plate!
Never had the Le Faulx. The Vestige was my only Atelier Durdan razor. I will not likely buy another!

The base plates are expensive, though, and I totally understand why, if Larry didn’t love the Vestige he had, he wouldn’t be keen to spend even more money to see if he liked the milder plate better.
Yep, won't spend more on that! And neither on the WR3 which I also sold. I'll go eventually for another Wolfman but most likely it'll be a DE.
WR3's head was too big for my taste!
As for Atelier Durdan, I'd have to get a mega deal to get another. Like I mentioned, it wasn't just the rough shave, the fit & finish weren't anywhere near where it should have been for the price paid.
Blade loading was rough, base plate had scratches under it (not the normal machining marks) and rough post screwing.
All in all, not the best QC I've seen.
The WR3 was flawless!
I think if you're gonna come to market with a new razor at a super premium price, you need to make a perfect product and the Vestige didn't deliver that.
Luckily I broke even on selling both!

If I recall correctly, Larry had the ++ plate on his Vestige. I’ve tried that plate too and I felt it was too harsh as well. I have the standard Classique plate and the Vestige is very smooth with that. Pretty much identical to the WR3 0.50 plate that I have. I think the Vestige is excellent with the Classique plate.

Exactly this. The feel of the ++ is very different to the classic.

As much I enjoyed the Vestige with classic and + plates it is very lightweight. Now I do own and use a Featherweight but much prefer the heft of the WR3 for a modern razor or the Sabre.

Wolfman never sells separate base plates. He machines the razor head parts to fit together perfectly as a unit.

They used to but think have changed policy recently. This time I received two full heads but only paid full price on one of them. I have another WR3 with two different baseplates and one cap and everything fits together perfectly.

I didn’t find them overly aggressive and would probably like a WR3 with similar aggression to the Micromatic or maybe a step above it.

The open comb WR3 is surprisingly efficient in the mild gaps. I went down from a .35 to the .25 and honestly it's really hard to tell the difference in efficiency. Both are plenty efficient for me and work fine on multiple days of growth. It's much more comfortable than a Micromatic especially ATG.

Top Bottom