What's new

Lambda Athena

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That is a good point, but I have reached out to Theo at Lambda and the video seems to have increased interest and purchases. I didn't find the video to be anywhere near as negative as the hit job he did on the Osprey. Most people, imho, don't expect a perfect shave in one pass. I have faith that people see through his charade and have inquired about the razor and researched places like this forum. Anyway, that is my hope.
That's reassuring. If Theo gets a bump in interest and that generates more sales.... That's awesome.

I didn't bother to watch the video. I don't plan to but that's probably silly of me.

If Matt Pisarcik’s razors were selling well he wouldn’t need to post lies to disparage competitors’ products.
This.

Where is the "Youtube ignore button" when we desperately need it?

I had a tremendous fine shave this morning, with low blade feel...

20240507_082232-01.jpeg

Almost BBS subsequent to two passes (wtg/atg).
Just nice!

Cheers!

Last edited:
It is not based on his opinion, he is not just some guy on the street. It is his duplicitous scam designed to sell more of his razors.
Words to surely consider.
He has always said he is biased towards his own product and has more or less always used his Ambassador as his baseline for comparisons which is more or less a shameless plug. Apparently that razor is his daily shaver at home if I remember correctly so I can see that as a reason why but he probably could have also added or simply mentioned another razor such as a Karve or even the Fatboy as a comparison instead which would have avoided this kind of flak.

He seemed largely complimentary towards the razors but as usual he failed to hit the mark and garner any sort of credence in regards to his experience with the razors. I will say that at least this was not a repeat of the Osprey debacle which was a more egregious video for sure but it was also not without its merits but was absolutely without a question very bad.
Wally, Negative reviews seldom help sell a product. I get that 4000 people have now heard of Lambda razors.... but will they dismiss them as a brand to be avoided or will they do their own research? What if someone searches for Lambda razors on YouTube and watch that video.... They might think that "is" their research and never buy one of Theo's great razors. The video is a disservice to the wet shaving community, as I see it.

There have now been several other reviews of these razors which is great. Anyone that has half an interest in the razor should at the very least watch more than one video and if that is the only medium they use for their research then there is plenty of differing opinions upon them and as we all know regardless of such we all have to take a leap of faith as to whether or not one product or the other will be good enough or indeed compatible with us as individuals is another thing.
Things people should also put into consideration when buying a razor or product is if the company or people behind them also meet your requirements.

If people give up on a razor based on just one review then they were never interested at all to start with and probably just watched the video out of boredom or to get their daily fix of Matt (as terrible as that may sound) but we have to accept that as a factor also.
I myself have often taken my likes for a razor based on visual observations, design concepts and my perception of several other factors to fuel my desire to research a razor and that simply does not stop at one review.
I absolutely understand where everyone is coming from here though.

On a side note I had some really bad neck irritation on my neck from regrowth that was further inflamed by rubbing on my clothing. I deployed the Lambda Athena to great success and now a few hours later my neck has healed. If the Athena was as bad as suggested this would not have been at all possible without causing myself much more damage but it was fine. The Athena and Ares have always been a smooth razor for me. The one time the Ares was not completely smooth was when I used a bad blade which was not great in any razor therefore I cannot blame the razor(s) at all for that.

By all means do not take my word for it, do not take Matt's word for it but draw your own conclusions based on your wants and needs and most of all do not spend beyond your means.

Last edited:
He has always said he is biased towards his own product and has more or less always used his Ambassador as his baseline for comparisons which is more or less a shameless plug. Apparently that razor is his daily shaver at home if I remember correctly so I can see that as a reason why but he probably could have also added or simply mentioned another razor such as a Karve or even the Fatboy as a comparison instead which would have avoided this kind of flak.

No matter what his baseline is, I think that in any reference frame he would disproportionally critique razors from the competition while bringing RE creations to the foreground. Even if he compared it to a Fatboy, the conclusions would be something in the line "that razor is bad as compared to a 60 year old razor, but ours is much better than that classic".

Hey guys, I got this razor about a week ago and I've been alternating between it and the Ti22+++ for a reference. I've had three shaves so far and I'm still getting a hang of it. I would say is that it's a little on the heavier side, I'm too used to the Henson. I would love to try the titanium version of this in the future if possible.

Had some issues on my first one with Gillette 7 Black on a three-day growth, had some tugging and irritation. Tried it again back-to-back with Ti22 and the shave was smoother with the Athena and lesser blade feel.

And then today... my shave this morning was *chef's kiss*

Had 24h of growth one pass on a fresh GSW blade and it was buttery smooth, I think I got the angle and balance just right. The weight felt better, or I may be getting used to it. Damn fine shave as I was rushing out for work.

The only downside is that I don't think I can make this a daily shaver because it's so beautiful I feel guilty just using it. Might save it for the weekends. I was getting late today and spent a few minutes cleaning/drying it before gently placing it back in its box lol

I added myself to the Ares waitlist as well. Or maybe I should get more used to this and work on my technique before impulsively buying the Ares. Or I should wait for and see what the feedback is once the Ti version comes out for Ares and Athena.

What do you guys think, would Ti make a difference in the shave as such? Also, would Ares have a slightly better performance for 3-4 day growth?

PS: I did see that Matt guy's reviews, I can't seem to place it, but his channel always gave me scummy vibes. I can name a few other shills on YouTube, give glowing reviews and offer a discount code for a mediocre product. They are all selling something or have an ulterior motive.

Attachments

• athena1.jpg
    athena1.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 17
  • athena2.jpg
    athena2.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 17
  • athena3.jpg
    athena3.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The only downside is that I don't think I can make this a daily shaver because it's so beautiful I feel guilty just using it.
No guilt! Theo made this razor to be used! It can definitely be a daily razor. Use and love it I would say. I have too many razors so I feel guilty for not using it!

Thanks for your feedback. This is helpful for others.

Wally @walpan will certainly tell you to also get the Ares! From what i have read it is spectacular on the growth days you mentioned.

Enjoy!

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

He seemed largely complimentary towards the razors but as usual he failed to hit the mark and garner any sort of credence in regards to his experience with the razors. I will say that at least this was not a repeat of the Osprey debacle which was a more egregious video for sure but it was also not without its merits but was absolutely without a question very bad.

There have now been several other reviews of these razors which is great. Anyone that has half an interest in the razor should at the very least watch more than one video and if that is the only medium they use for their research then there is plenty of differing opinions upon them and as we all know regardless of such we all have to take a leap of faith as to whether or not one product or the other will be good enough or indeed compatible with us as individuals is another thing.
Things people should also put into consideration when buying a razor or product is if the company or people behind them also meet your requirements.

If people give up on a razor based on just one review then they were never interested at all to start with and probably just watched the video out of boredom or to get their daily fix of Matt (as terrible as that may sound) but we have to accept that as a factor also.
I myself have often taken my likes for a razor based on visual observations, design concepts and my perception of several other factors to fuel my desire to research a razor and that simply does not stop at one review.
I absolutely understand where everyone is coming from here though.

On a side note I had some really bad neck irritation on my neck from regrowth that was further inflamed by rubbing on my clothing. I deployed the Lambda Athena to great success and now a few hours later my neck has healed. If the Athena was as bad as suggested this would not have been at all possible without causing myself much more damage but it was fine. The Athena and Ares have always been a smooth razor for me. The one time the Ares was not completely smooth was when I used a bad blade which was not great in any razor therefore I cannot blame the razor(s) at all for that.

By all means do not take my word for it, do not take Matt's word for it but draw your own conclusions based on your wants and needs and most of all do not spend beyond your means.
I think I was a bit hasty in my post. I underestimated the wet shaving community. It would be silly to spend over $200 on any razor without doing thorough research and it seems more and more people are hearing/reading about Lambda razors. I am glad Theo’s production runs continue to sell out quickly. I don’t have an Ares, but my two Athenas are amazing. Each of our sons will inherit one when I exit the planet.

I think I was a bit hasty in my post. I underestimated the wet shaving community. It would be silly to spend over $200 on any razor without doing thorough research and it seems more and more people are hearing/reading about Lambda razors. I am glad Theo’s production runs continue to sell out quickly. I don’t have an Ares, but my two Athenas are amazing. Each of our sons will inherit one when I exit the planet.
You're right, I don't think there's much harm if someone is deciding which razor to buy and this is one of many reviews they come across while doing their research. But for some reason, this guy seems to have a lot of fanboys who trust him. Subscribers who see this review and don't know much about Lambda razors, or maybe this is even the first they've heard of it, they're probably not going to look into it any further. I read the comments under the Osprey review expecting to see him called out, and a few did, but fully 90-95% were fanboys thanking him for an honest review, or for saving them money as they'd been considering that razor. It was truly baffling.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
I’m not sure everyone who watches Razor Emporium’s YouTube videos knows that the presenter, Matt owns REX Supply Company and the REX razors are his own product. ‘Razor Emporium’ just sounds like a shaving store and it isn’t always obvious that he is a manufacturer - especially since a lot of his videos are about old Gillettes.

I haven’t watched this video but does Matt at least make clear that he is a direct competitor to Lambda and the Ambassador razor he compares the Lambda with is produced by him?

In any event, he seems to have a large followership and when he posts negative remarks about competitors’ razors I’m sure there are listeners who think it is an impartial review and that the REX razor is better.

Frankly, I think it is always wrong for one manufacturer to review or criticize another manufacturer’s products. Imagine if the CEO of Ford was posting review videos appearing to be a car dealer and saying that the Toyotas and BMWs he tested weren’t as good as the Fords he tried. Would that even be legal?

No guilt! Theo made this razor to be used! It can definitely be a daily razor. Use and love it I would say. I have too many razors so I feel guilty for not using it!

Thanks for your feedback. This is helpful for others.

Wally @walpan will certainly tell you to also get the Ares! From what i have read it is spectacular on the growth days you mentioned.

Enjoy!

Guido
@Guido75 is correct. With multiple days of growth, the Ares can't be beat for the smoothest and most efficient shave you will get. On the other hand, if you are a daily shaver, the Athena is perfect. So the solution is to get both. You can never go wrong with a Lambda product.

There are certainly naive people who believe him, or rather want to believe him, because they cannot admit to themselves that they have spent so much money on a beautiful shaver with mediocre capabilities. But, most people are not stupid and after a short research they can easily understand what are the real capabilities of the products being compared.

Now, a slightly different point of view for comparison:
If you find a used Lambda for sale somewhere, you will see that the price it sells for is almost the same as a new one, it can even be seen higher than a new one (sort of like a Rolex).
In comparison, when someone decides to get rid of their Rex, they should be considered lucky if they get half the money they paid for it.

I haven’t watched this video but does Matt at least make clear that he is a direct competitor to Lambda and the Ambassador razor he compares the Lambda with is produced by him?
Not as specific and clear as you just stated Richard, but it is clear that he is at least associated to REX the razor company, because he does clearly say “our Ambassador” or “our razor” and in the beginning of the video (like he did with the Osprey) it is also clear (to me at least) that he is reviewing from two angles as a user and as a producer. The fact he does is not clear to everyone judging by the comments and how this might affect his observations - but I might be work biased (I’m a CPA) in terms of my first time acceptance of “evidence”.

I have no history with RE or him so I cannot comment on that from experience. Nor will I have a history, but that has nothing to do with the stories I have read about him and RE. The same goes for his videos. They may have some entertainment value and I definitely found the Gillette series informative when I fell into the vintage rabbit hole. Shave wise and shave technique I tend to find my resources here. He is not a full shaver even whereas I do face and head entirely. Different ball game in my view.

Not as specific and clear as you just stated Richard, but it is clear that he is at least associated to REX the razor company, because he does clearly say “our Ambassador” or “our razor” and in the beginning of the video (like he did with the Osprey) it is also clear (to me at least) that he is reviewing from two angles as a user and as a producer. The fact he does is not clear to everyone judging by the comments and how this might affect his observations - but I might be work biased (I’m a CPA) in terms of my first time acceptance of “evidence”.

I have no history with RE or him so I cannot comment on that from experience. Nor will I have a history, but that has nothing to do with the stories I have read about him and RE. The same goes for his videos. They may have some entertainment value and I definitely found the Gillette series informative when I fell into the vintage rabbit hole. Shave wise and shave technique I tend to find my resources here. He is not a full shaver even whereas I do face and head entirely. Different ball game in my view.
Matt owns Rex and Razor Emporium.
I agree with @Mr. Shavington , let's refocus on the Athena and forget all issues with the YouTubers.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets

Ah, a fellow accountant! No wonder you talk such sense.

Top Bottom