What's new

What is Favorite Metal for Razor?

I have been on a quest to find a razor made from a lasting metal. At some point I realised that a razor doesn't have to last a lifetime because I can simply replace it. And my son probably won't care for dad's old gunked up safety razor after I have departed this planet. Thus, no heirloom crap.

This makes purchasing a nice razor a much cheaper endeavour.

So I'm happy with a Zamak plated head and perhaps a brass plated handle. In other words, give me a Merkur, King C. Gillette, Timor or Mühle razor and I'm a happy man.

I do also like plastic but only know of one modern plastic razor which is the respectable Wilkinson Classic.

Oh and my Lord L6 with aluminium handle rocks!

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me." ~Conan the Barbarian

Steel -> Ti -> Brass/Bronze ->>>> Aluminum and Zamac.

Just personal preference. Not too light, no patina, that's reasons why I like steel and titanium.

Depends on the construction as much as the metal type for me. Probably Ti > stamped brass > stainless steel = Al?

Whatever is lightest and most durable at the same time.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Stainless, usually. It's durable, inexpensive and has a comfortable mass. However, I'd really like to find a nice slant in real bronze! By which I mean "red" bronze or in other words bronze made the way it used to be made. I've seen modern razors in bronze, but it always turns out to be "aluminum bronze" which is to my mind not acceptable.

O.H.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Stainless, bronze, and titanium. I like the weight variety. I never had any interest in aluminum and copper just seems like it would require too much maintenance.

I also like brass, as in plated vintage shavers.

Brass has always been my favorite. I prefer plain but plated is ok too. Stainless would be my second choice. Some brass razors I keep polished, others not as much. I have never tried Ti. The cost of Ti does not appeal to me and I typically don't like light razors.

My least favorite is Zamak, naturally. My 34C, Futur, Progress and Yaqi "TFC" are of this material. But the reality is they will outlast me. I already had to replace the top cap on the Progress due to Zamak rot, though.

I have been toying with the idea of gifting the TFC and 34C to folks I encounter who are drudging through life with a Lord or Rapira. I think this would make me feel like Scrooge on Christmas Day, sending a big goose to Bob Cratchet.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me." ~Conan the Barbarian

Steel -> Ti -> Brass/Bronze ->>>> Aluminum and Zamac.

Just personal preference. Not too light, no patina, that's reasons why I like steel and titanium.
Love the quote from Conan … so many great lines in that movie. Being a newbie, I am still working on mastering the riddle of steel, but it has my vote too.

I like stainless steel. It is durable, for most razors it has a good balance and feel, and it is cheap and abundant.
Brass, copper and bronze tarnish and require maintenence to varying degrees.
Aluminium is too lightweight and can oxidize, especially in the threads. anodising helps but it isn't forever.
Zamak (mazak) is okay, but doesn't last forever. It is relatively soft and brittle. Like feta cheese.
Titanium is a great material, but the environmental (and financial) cost is right up there.

Top Bottom