What's new

DSC AX - Poleaxe Ti - Which blade gaps?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I haven't shaved with mine yet, but they say the same thing - 1.12, 1.22, 1.32. That's strange, I wonder what the real gaps are. Do earlier batches not say that?
I couldn't read/make anything from the photos, but I trust your word. This is indeed strange. I am not even sure if these are gap numbers, even if the numbers very much suggest that.

Also, gap from left to right 1.15, 1.55, 1.35... yes, that's how I order things in sequence... not.

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

No need to obsess about gap numbers . Do they mean anything? IDK. There could be other markings. Like colors or figures. Picture this: I had a fonderful shave with flower gap or bear gap shred me to pieces...

I just ordered one of these on Ali so I’ll let you guys know what ships from there and try to measure the gaps with a feeler gauge.

I also grabbed a Romulus for $47 on sale. And the Yaqi SE half de head, and Yaqi S9 scalloped since my GameChanger .84 is my daily shaver it’ll be interesting to see how the head compares for $35. It really isn’t much if any cheaper then a RR GC so it shows how good of a deal the RR razors are made in North America.

I was eyeing the shield razors as well, especially the GEM but it wasn’t on sale unless it was your first purchase and I used that deal on the Romulus. I’m hoping I get a welcome back deal so I can get a Shield for a few bucks off. Or maybe there’ll offer the SS with head only like their aluminum/titanium. I’m not interested in light razors so the SS is the only ones that interest me.

I messaged DSCosmetic asking about the gaps of the AX-SE and got this reply:

1.15 1.35 1.55 respectively, because the mold font is not clear, we revised the added Mark 1 2 3 to distinguish the gap size, thank you for your understanding

I don't have actual measuring tools but I was able to slide some plastic cards between the blade and the bar to determine the order of the gaps.
  1. marked as 1.12, supposedly 1.15 actual gap, smallest measured gap of the 3
  2. marked as 1.22, supposedly 1.55 actual gap, largest measured gap of the 3
  3. marked as 1.32, supposedly 1.35 actual gap
If their mold was incorrectly using twos instead of fives then it makes sense now:
  • 1.12 => 1.15
  • 1.22 => 1.55
  • 1.32 => 1.35
But I still have no idea why they numbered the plates this way: the largest gap plate is #2 and the middle gap plate is #3.

I've been using a PoleAxe-Ti 1.35 (smooth cap) since late December. It is just slightly more aggressive than an R89, which I own and still use on occasion. It was a 1st gen Ti - the blade fits perfectly without having to be pried out like the 1st gen zamak versions. It cost $112 to central US.

The 1.35 is MUCH less aggressive than the DS-D9-S with scalloped cap. Despite its relative mildness, I get the same result from a two-pass shave with quite a bit less drama.

The 1.35 is quite a bit more aggressive than the DS-D8-T with scalloped cap, though I've found that with the DS-D8-T I can open the handle 1/4-1/3 turn and get excellent results.

I've mentioned in other discussions that the 1.35 has possibly ended any RAD I may have had (I can quit anytime, trust me!) When I shave with it, I think "why would I ever shave with a different razor?" When I shave with any other razor, I think "why didn't I use the PoleAxe?"

Iridian

Cool and slimy
But I still have no idea why they numbered the plates this way: the largest gap plate is #2 and the middle gap plate is #3.
This was figured out by quite some people who got it, that the "2" plate was actually higher in gap than the "3", it as a mixup.
As for the measurements and numbers you read, that's even more odd!

But well, as Halfbeard already said, at least you had a good shave. I am likely to pick it up in Ti and with 1.55 gap when the 2nd batch becomes available. Probably when I already overspent, as usual. SCNR.

I received my zamac AX trio today. Arrived earlier than I expected. Build/finish is top notch , especially considering the cost. I am sorry but even with a magnifying glass I could not really make out the numbers on the plates. When my wife has time, I will have her take a look. I am able to discern gaps from small to large by looking at the gap between the base plate and safety bar. First shave will be on Sunday with the smallest gap. BTW, the handle does appear to be stainless and comparable in size and feel to the RazoRock Bull Dog or HD. Balance is just slightly handle heavy. The box arrived in good shape with the razor well padded with tissue around each piece and a plastic film over the large plate and smooth top cap. The other two plates were well wrapped with tissue.

I think the confusion comes from how ****ty the numbers look. I read the correct 1.15, 1.35 and 1.55. But I can easily read other numbers if I wanted. Even the 1, 2 and 3 are hard to read. The "2" looks like a very weird "Z"

I had my first shave with the smallest gap zamac AX today. No nics cuts or irritation. The shave was smooth and the results were very good. I will use this gap for a few days then try the next level. Blade alignment was spot on. I used William's Mug Soap and an Astra SP with 2 shaves on it. I just realized this thread was for the TI Poleaxe so my apologies if I should have posted elsewhere. If you are on the fence about gaps, this might be a cheap way to experiment.

I am from China and everyone's comments are of great help to me. Yesterday DSC put SS AX on Taobao, including 1.15mm and 1.35mm. I hope to tell you this news
Welcome to B&B! I also joined only a couple of months ago and have found lots of information, kind advice and great recommendations here. I also live in China, and there are quite a few guys on this forum from this part of the globe. Feel free to get in touch via PM if you like and don't be shy to ask any questions in the forum that you may have. Everybody on B&B is incredibly kind and always willing to give a helping hand.

After I read your post, I immediately checked on DSC's Taobao shop :biggrin1: ...and there it was: all AX 316L Stainless heads can now be ordered; Ti still only has the 1.55 mm.

I wonder if that has something to do with my order from yesterday? I did finally order the DSC AX Ti 1.55mm head and I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow.

I'm extremely grateful for all the recommendations, advice and encouragement you guys have been giving me. A special Thank You goes out @megamac, @Iridian , @Halfbeard , @Chelko and all you other guys who have taken the time and effort to impart your wisdom, knowledge and expertise on the DSC AX.

Please continue to keep this thread alive with lively discussions and friendly exchanges on this exceptional razor head from DSC. I will of course share my impressions of the new AX Ti head with all of you.

Welcome to B&B! I also joined only a couple of months ago and have found lots of information, kind advice and great recommendations here. I also live in China, and there are quite a few guys on this forum from this part of the globe. Feel free to get in touch via PM if you like and don't be shy to ask any questions in the forum that you may have. Everybody on B&B is incredibly kind and always willing to give a helping hand.

After I read your post, I immediately checked on DSC's Taobao shop :biggrin1: ...and there it was: all AX 316L Stainless heads can now be ordered; Ti still only has the 1.55 mm.

I wonder if that has something to do with my order from yesterday? I did finally order the DSC AX Ti 1.55mm head and I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow.

I'm extremely grateful for all the recommendations, advice and encouragement you guys have been giving me. A special Thank You goes out @megamac, @Iridian , @Halfbeard , @Chelko and all you other guys who have taken the time and effort to impart your wisdom, knowledge and expertise on the DSC AX.

Please continue to keep this thread alive with lively discussions and friendly exchanges on this exceptional razor head from DSC. I will of course share my impressions of the new AX Ti head with all of you.
Mate, you too generously have shared a wealth of information with us. Thanks to you I pulled the trigger and got the DS AX Ti 1.55 too. If it wasn't for your guidance with Taobao, I would have probably just got the SS head on AE but getting the Ti at a steal was surreal, so thank You.

Looking forward to that Review after your first shave with it.

The AX Ti 1.55mm head has finally arrived. It's a very unusual head, at least to me, in terms of geometry. There are no bars to hold the blade in place; the base and the cap are fitting snuggly so that the blade is secure at all times.
IMG_6764.jpeg
IMG_6765.jpeg

The blade gap looks a bit scary at first, but I trust based on all the positive feedback in this thread that I'll be able to handle it.

IMG_6769.jpeg
IMG_6767.jpeg

I will report back on my first shave with the AX tomorrow.

P.S.: I've been quite lucky with the serial number on the plate: 888080. That is quite a lucky number in China. I'll be waiting for the cash to be rolling in any time now.

The AX Ti 1.55mm head has finally arrived. It's a very unusual head, at least to me, in terms of geometry. There are no bars to hold the blade in place; the base and the cap are fitting snuggly so that the blade is secure at all times.
View attachment 1847145 View attachment 1847146
The blade gap looks a bit scary at first, but I trust based on all the positive feedback in this thread that I'll be able to handle it.

View attachment 1847148 View attachment 1847150
I will report back on my first shave with the AX tomorrow.

P.S.: I've been quite lucky with the serial number on the plate: 888080. That is quite a lucky number in China. I'll be waiting for the cash to be rolling in any time now.

Looks like the same blade securing system many use with four points of hold, should work well, and with no movement of blade.

IMG_6762.jpeg

Friday, May 17, 2024

Pre-Shave: cold water splash / YBN Glycerin Skin Care
Razor: DSC AX Ti 1.55 mm with Ti Destroyer handle
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond (4/7)
Brush: Arno Brush, 26 mm Classic #12, Gen5 synthetic
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: Barrier & Mann Seville (sample) + Speick Shaving Cream (for Superlather)
A/S: POLA - Galantom II after shave lotion
Aftercare: Thayer Witch Hazel Unscented / Aloe Vera Gelly
EdT: Chanel - Bleu de Chanel

First shave with the DSC AX Ti 1.55 mm and I am floored. This is one amazing razor. I have a couple of observations from this premiere.

The AX Ti in combination with the Destroyer handle is a light razor, but not so light as to lose any feeling of what one is doing during the shave. The precision on this thing is absolutely outstanding: the blade fits perfectly between the base and cap and there is no blade overhang to the sides whatsoever. Once the blade is installed, the blade bend in the head is very minimal, i.e. the curve of the blade when looking from the side into the head is much less than in an R89 for example.

Besides having such a big blade gap, the largest in any of my razors, I wouldn't characterize this razor as overly aggressive at all; the better words are: extremely direct. The shaving angle comes intuitively, at no point did I consciously have to angle the razor. Efficiency is very high; DFS+ on first use with 2 pass WTG + touchups. Audible feedback is very good and helps in finding the perfect angle. Surprisingly there wasn't very much of blade feel, my DSC V92 has much more of that than the DSC AX Ti, then again geometry is very different between the two. Both the V92 and the AX Ti are excellent razors and I can wholeheartedly recommend them to a relative newbie (not as first razors, but some time into your DE shaving journey) and to the seasoned veteran. Be prepared to be positively delighted by these razors.

Finally, a shot of my current modest razor collection. I think that I got all the important materials razors are being made of assembled here (except bronze and aluminum):

IMG_6761.jpeg

From left to right: DSC AX 1.55 mm (titanium); Mühle Rocca R95 (stainless steel - birch bark handle), DSC V92 (brass), Mühle R89 (zamak)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@m949 this is one of the few pics where one can see that the bar is scalloped. There is one on AliExpress, but one must really look closely and pay attention! :)

Scallops are just wonderful. I don't like eating them but for safety bars and caps they are amazing. :)

Great that things worked out so nicely for you. Getting a fitting stand for the Destroyer handle is very difficult, my SS version is right now on an acrylic rack. But with that slight cutout the aluminum stand looks much better than my otherwise absolutely identical stand. IIRC the handle has 14mm diameter.

Kudos and enjoy your shave. Don't endanger my wallet, this head and a fitting Ti handle are now on my must buy list. I am eyeing the "spiral" handle from DSC in Ti, though, but maybe a Destroyer in Ti would also be nice...^^

Top Bottom