What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Happy birthday to @Guido75's dad! :happybday:

Ditto. Happy birthday!

Happy Birthday Abe!! 🎉🥳🎂

Happy Birthday to your father, Guido!

Happy Birthday, Abe! 🎂🎊🎈🍻

Happy BD to yer dad.
Thanks guys! Much appreciated! I face timed with my parents this morning and obviously my dad and I were talking shaving brushes quickly into the conversation :001_smile - he is going to make a number of them with more luxurious types of wood for a handle drop later this year. Plenty of time to think of which knot should go into which handle.

Funny story by the way: I showed him my brushes and he remarked “fancy, to put your brushes in front of a mirror” to which I replied “what mirror?” - and then he started laughing “Oohh…is that many huh?!” “Let me make you some more!”

The LOTH overheard this however…

schitts creek what GIF by CBC

…” for BST you mean, right?!” :lol:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks guys! Much appreciated! I face timed with my parents this morning and obviously my dad and I were talking shaving brushes quickly into the conversation :001_smile - he is going to make a number of them with more luxurious types of wood for a handle drop later this year. Plenty of time to think of which knot should go into which handle.

Funny story by the way: I showed him my brushes and he remarked “fancy, to put your brushes in front of a mirror” to which I replied “what mirror?” - and then he started laughing “Oohh…is that many huh?!” “Let me make you some more!”

A belated Happy Birthday, Abe.... I'm loving your handle designs and the woods you are choosing... It's been fun watching their unveiling.

Date08.05.2024
366 daily shaves
129/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine Flatboy with RR Barberpole handleGillette Rubie (2)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (12)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.5/10 (Couple of small red spots)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Very close shave with the Flatboy and the Bandit. Marvellous.

Razor and blade. Second run and performing as admirably as the Rubie Plus. Already looking forward to 10 shaves with this blade. I mentioned that the GC1 is my most aggressive razor, but I forgot about the Flatboy. This is the summit of blade forwardness. And I don’t feel the safety bar when shaving. It’s all blade feel with this shavette on a DE handle. Nothing too daunting though. Just mind pressure and angle (the blade lies completely flat, but blade chatter is also present) and this is a fantastic razor. I find that the Barberpole handle is an excellent pairing with this razor. Much much better than the OEM handles (which are great by the way just not with the original head). I think it has to do with the knurling which gives it that grip you need with this razor. I know others have different views on this razor, but the Flatboy always leaves me with the impression that shaving with the R41 is like a walk in the park.

Brush and lather. The SilkSmoke tends towards Plissoft just with a smallish knot. Solid backbone but ready to face lather. This sample is outperforming my expectations in longevity! And I am so looking forward to the soap that is underway from the UK!

Technique. Same as yesterday and using the Flatboy I want plain and simple so I can concentrate on lightness in my touch and the angle of attack I am using. Marvellous today. Very close, good aftershave sting. Feeling smooth.

Enjoy your shave!

Date08.05.2024
366 daily shaves
129/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine Flatboy with RR Barberpole handleGillette Rubie (2)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (12)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.5/10 (Couple of small red spots)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

but the Flatboy always leaves me with the impression that shaving with the R41 is like a walk in the park.
Grande Guido!!! Ahahahaahahah You made me laugh with shaving with the R41 as a walk in the park.:laugh:

Between Gillette Rubie and Rubie Plus which one are you enjoying more?

Date09.05.2024
366 daily shaves
130/366

RazorBladeBrush
Greencult 2.0IIGillette Rubie (3)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (14)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
8/10 (Few weepers)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.25/10
(DFS++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Splendid razor for a heavenly shave this Ascension Day. Could have been closer and smoother. Tomorrow is another day and another shave.

Razor and blade. This version of the Rubie blade performs just as well. Splitting hairs on comfort levels but other than that just a really good blade. The GC2.II is closest to the Blackbird although in current shave statistics it does less consistent. Definitely not a knock on the razor because I love it! Especially with the sleak Razorine Flatboy handle. Excellent balance between smooth and effective. Blade feel without feeling aggressive. But I do have to be mindful of the positive exposure as this is way more than some of my other razors (.10mm). And then again using the GC1 the other day was an exposure of .25mm.

Brush and lather. I picked the right brush for the purpose. With purpose I mean that I received some soap from a fine brother in the UK that I really want to use this weekend, but I fear my sample won’t be done by then - so I reached for the most hogging boar and shred the remaining pieces to bits. Still enough for a couple of shaves I think, but definitely less!!

Technique. Continuing this standard parts pattern as I am kind of digging it at the moment and I am getting wonderful shaves so better keep doing what works right. Or seems to work at least. I excerted a little too much pressure around the chin I think or I was careless in forgetting the positive exposure of the razor in that area. Slightly less effective than earlier shaves, but still very nice and close. I feel smooth again.

Enjoy your shave!

Date09.05.2024
366 daily shaves
130/366

RazorBladeBrush
Greencult 2.0IIGillette Rubie (3)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (14)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
8/10 (Few weepers)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.25/10
(DFS++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Splendid razor for a heavenly shave this Ascension Day. Could have been closer and smoother. Tomorrow is another day and another shave.

Razor and blade. This version of the Rubie blade performs just as well. Splitting hairs on comfort levels but other than that just a really good blade. The GC2.II is closest to the Blackbird although in current shave statistics it does less consistent. Definitely not a knock on the razor because I love it! Especially with the sleak Razorine Flatboy handle. Excellent balance between smooth and effective. Blade feel without feeling aggressive. But I do have to be mindful of the positive exposure as this is way more than some of my other razors (.10mm). And then again using the GC1 the other day was an exposure of .25mm.

Brush and lather. I picked the right brush for the purpose. With purpose I mean that I received some soap from a fine brother in the UK that I really want to use this weekend, but I fear my sample won’t be done by then - so I reached for the most hogging boar and shred the remaining pieces to bits. Still enough for a couple of shaves I think, but definitely less!!

Technique. Continuing this standard parts pattern as I am kind of digging it at the moment and I am getting wonderful shaves so better keep doing what works right. Or seems to work at least. I excerted a little too much pressure around the chin I think or I was careless in forgetting the positive exposure of the razor in that area. Slightly less effective than earlier shaves, but still very nice and close. I feel smooth again.

Enjoy your shave!
Happy Ascension Day!

Date10.05.2024
366 daily shaves
131/366

RazorBladeBrush
Fatip FathenaGillette Rubie (4)Semogue SOC Cherry Finest
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (15)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (One red spot)6/10 (Razor sharp)
6.5/10
(CCS+++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Fun to mix up the Athena and Fatip razors, but on their own they are both much more effective.

Razor and blade. Yesterday’s performance was slightly less than expected, but still very worthy of a fourth run today. No signs of fatigue at all. The razor is a semi Frankenrazor. Is the Athena with a Fatip SE open comb baseplate. I have used this combo once before and the shave was alright. I want to see if I can replicate that and exceed it. Well I replicated it and didn’t exceed it. The combination is too mild and at times even appears to not shave at all. Still a decent end result, but I have had much closer shaves. Ah well, love and learn. It was fun to do again!

Brush and lather. I have been loading slightly more than I normally do because there is a new soap in town that I really want to start using. I think another two days and I should be good. Still excellent performance from the soap. They advertise this soap sample tube of being enough for 4 shaves, but my guesstimate is that this is much more than that. After today’s beating I think it will have still 3 shaves left.

Technique. Straight no chaser. I went traditional again so I could concentrate on angle and audio feedback. But it was harder to shave with. Theo clearly has built a unique razor with unique design features not to be changed by other elements. Good shave in all, but I have had much closer ones.

Enjoy your shave!

Date11.05.2024
366 daily shaves
132/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorock Game Changer .84OCGillette Rubie (5)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (16)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (One red spot)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Yesterday’s shave was too mild for my liking. The Game Changer is much more effective and I am definitely a fan of that.

Razor and blade. Performance wise this is an easy blade and one that performs well. Sufficiently smooth and comfortable. Great sharpness. The razor is precious to me and it shaves like a dream. Top 10 razor for sure. The OC is more effective but I think the SB is a bit smoother.

Brush and soap. I made myself a promise to first finish one soap before moving on to the next during a month. And therefore I cannot use the goody I put in my white enamel shave my just yet even though I really want to!! Doing my best to finish the soap therefore. The Synbad isn’t super helpful in that department. It loads lightly and then produces excellent lather. Under normal circumstances that would be top performance. Ah well can’t argue with top performances.

Technique. Basic patterning because it just works at the moment. There is something that’s annoying me lately. I have had to use the alum block much too often for my liking this past month and these first days of May. I don’t think it’s my touch but usually mishaps start with me. Just another topic to consider.

Enjoy your shave.

Be careful about those conversations, it could be interpreted along the same lines as hinting about gifts. Flirting with the line IMO

Be careful about those conversations, it could be interpreted along the same lines as hinting about gifts. Flirting with the line IMO
Thanks for supporting JK! These new handles are not for me :001_smile! I like that he’s busy and not sitting in the same chair all day. So these brushes will be finding other owners. Besides I truly have enough brushes. So there is no hint from me to him. That’s the whole reason I showed him my collection in the first place! Haha!

And if I were to fail I would ask my dad to make enough to make into a group buy! :thumbup:

Cheers and thanks again!

Guido

Last edited:
Date12.05.2024
366 daily shaves
133/366

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaGillette Rubie (6)Abe’s Brush Works Blutt STF
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (18)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.75/10 (Almost clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Supreme Sunday Shave with the Athena today. Off to my parents to celebrate Mother’s Day.

Razor and blade. Perhaps a final run with the Rubie seeing that I have been drawing blood all shaves with this blade. I still think it performs above average. Performing way above average is the Lambda Athena. What a magnificent razor this is. Everything is smooth and comfy and makes you think you are dealing with the mildest razor ever until you feel around after the second pass and until you feel that marble hint after ATG.

Brush and lather. Using the STF again which is turning into a favourite together with G5C. I’m meeting my dad later today to see which knots he wants to install. The soap is good for another go I believe, but next week will be the start of a new soap I received earlier this week. More on that later.

Technique. Even though I was pretty smooth yesterday stubble reappeared quite quickly which I thought was interesting as I had shaved with the OC Game Changer. Using the standard pattern I am able to follow through from cheek to neck in one smooth go. I really like that. At least for now anyways.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom