What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Feather SS Kamisori Razor
Wilkinson Sword Bonded Razor System

Cella Soap Sample
Frank Shaving Two Face Green Brush
Proraso Red Splash On
Bleu de Chanel Aftershave Balm

8C1E7894-AEBE-4600-BCB1-ABE3D465B654-compressed.jpeg

Looks amazing !! Do you now where I can purchase one of those printed GEM style razors?
+2 on the where did you get that. Interesting, it looks like it was possibly 3D printed?

Curious about how single edge blades shave. I'm only familiar with those I've used to scrape paint, windows, etc... Are the ones you'd shave with the same as the "industrial" "home/construction" use ones?

If so, that's a rather thick blade compared to a DE.

Mind sharing the shave experience and how they compare?

+2 on the where did you get that. Interesting, it looks like it was possibly 3D printed?

Curious about how single edge blades shave. I'm only familiar with those I've used to scrape paint, windows, etc... Are the ones you'd shave with the same as the "industrial" "home/construction" use ones?

Mind sharing the shave experience and how they compare?
I can chime in on your question about blades as I shave with SE blades almost exclusively. They differ a lot from the paint scraper type. The edge is cut for shaving and not for carpet. The SE blades (Gem, Injector, AC) are all thicker and more rigid than DE blades. I like and prefer that. Most razors that use them (modern or vintage) clamp them sufficiently that blade chatter is greatly reduced. Definitely snag a vintage Gem style razor and try them out.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Looks amazing !! Do you now where I can purchase one of those printed GEM style razors?

I was very fortunate that Roger Quintero / @SlimGem printed one for me because I don’t have a printer and didn’t/don’t know which third party services to use for a razor. I think @uptown and @Steve_in_CT might know such places.

Roger put designs for the Triceratops and many other designs on Thingverse.

Are the ones you'd shave with the same as the "industrial" "home/construction" use ones?

These ones are slightly different. Cleaner and sharper. Most enthusiasts of GEM-blade razors use Personna stainless PTFE-coated GEM blades.

The company Edgewell/Personna contracted for them now sell the same blade as “Accutec Pro Premium.”

I tried Foshio stainless blades, but they were too dull. Comfortable, but dull, so I didn’t maul my skin while failing to cut whiskers.

The Personna/Accutec are expen$ive, so I might try others.

Sho ‘nuff! It’s 0.23mm for GEM blades versus 0.1mm for double-edge razor blades. Some of the Artist Club razor blades are even thicker.

I’ve had great shaves and bad shaves with all kinds of safety razors. It’s all about getting the blade’s edge to pop through the whisker follicles without slamming into skin. Single edge razors tend to look cooler or cuter (the one in the photo looks a bit like a dinosaur, so both!), but the edges on any of the blades tend to be near 0.1μ thick, so it’s all personal preference versus “I switched from a Gillette Fusion to a Kampfe Brothers wedge-blade razor and my skin cleared up and I grew a foot taller.”

I promise I can be wrong, but that’s my view on Happy Razor Fun Time.

editing to add: Thanks, @Anchovie666 ! Seems we share a birthday and an enjoyment of single-edge stuff

I can chime in on your question about blades as I shave with SE blades almost exclusively. They differ a lot from the paint scraper type. The edge is cut for shaving and not for carpet. The SE blades (Gem, Injector, AC) are all thicker and more rigid than DE blades. I like and prefer that. Most razors that use them (modern or vintage) clamp them sufficiently that blade chatter is greatly reduced. Definitely snag a vintage Gem style razor and try them out.
Thanks, I think i might do just that. What's life without a little adventure?!

I bought a New Short and New Long per a rec in another thread. Love the Long over the Short but both are really great shaves.

So, you rec Gem over some other vintage? Is there a range of years I might be looking for or simply something at a good price in good shape?

I was very fortunate that Roger Quintero / @SlimGem printed one for me because I don’t have a printer and didn’t/don’t know which third party services to use for a razor. I think @uptown and @Steve_in_CT might know such places.

Roger put designs for the Triceratops and many other designs on Thingverse.

These ones are slightly different. Cleaner and sharper. Most enthusiasts of GEM-blade razors use Personna stainless PTFE-coated GEM blades.

The company Edgewell/Personna contracted for them now sell the same blade as “Accutec Pro Premium.”

I tried Foshio stainless blades, but they were too dull. Comfortable, but dull, so I didn’t maul my skin while failing to cut whiskers.

The Personna/Accutec are expen$ive, so I might try others.

Sho ‘nuff! It’s 0.23mm for GEM blades versus 0.1mm for double-edge razor blades. Some of the Artist Club razor blades are even thicker.

I’ve had great shaves and bad shaves with all kinds of safety razors. It’s all about getting the blade’s edge to pop through the whisker follicles without slamming into skin. Single edge razors tend to look cooler or cuter (the one in the photo looks a bit like a dinosaur, so both!), but the edges on any of the blades tend to be near 0.1μ thick, so it’s all personal preference versus “I switched from a Gillette Fusion to a Kampfe Brothers wedge-blade razor and my skin cleared up and I grew a foot taller.”

I promise I can be wrong, but that’s my view on Happy Razor Fun Time.

editing to add: Thanks, @Anchovie666 ! Seems we share a birthday and an enjoyment of single-edge stuff
Thanks for the humorous and informative reply. Appreciate it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick Shave, May 5th 2024

Razor : Schick E2 injector, Canadian Variant. Mfg 1930s-40's, mid range. One of the best razors Schick ever manufactured IMO. When it comes to stamping out razor parts Schick seems to have taken it to a new level for that time period IMO. This is one of my favorites, if you have a busy life this would be a razor to purchase, quick rinse and let to dry is all that is needed and once in a while take a tooth brush to give a cleaning if it bothers a person. I modified mine to manually install blades & still use the injector blade injector magazine if preferred + much easier to thoroughly clean like the E1 variant was made. Had a close comfortable close shave this morning.
Blade : Schick injector(AKA=SChick) (7) sharp and smooth with great longevity.
Soap : Speick stick. Nice mild scented spicy scent with some of the best lather qualities I have ever used IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "Ferrari" 24mm bleached boar bristle. Excellent lather generator, soft split end boar bristle hairs, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Nivea refreshing lotion + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Schick E2 injector with a SChick blade
SOTD May 5 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom