What's new

What is your goal blade stash?

I have 7 Feather blades left. I’m starting to get nervous. I have a few other brands laying around but I hope it doesn’t come to that. I prefer the Feathers.

Feathers are still available, just at 2x the price I paid for my bulk pack five years ago. Which even back then was 2x as much as my other blades.

However, I've since discovered a few other blades that are close in sharpness, smooth, a lot longer lasting, and cost half or less.

In my experience, Feathers start extremely sharp and smooth, then by 3rd shave turn into an average decent blade, and are done after 4th shave. All other blades I keep in my rotation (Nacets, Permasharps, Astra SP, 7 O'Clock Yellow) maintain their sharpness much longer and last at least twice as long. I don't stock Bic Chrome Platinum, but judging by the sample tuck, it's close in sharpness to Feather, just as smooth, and a whole lot longer lasting at less than half the price.

Well, here's my stash... while it pales in comparison to many other people's doomsday supplies, I don't think I can justify any more bulk purchases...

The blades on the left are Permasharps, Nacets (3), and 7 O'Clock Yellow.

Below, the remnants of a 200 Feathers bulk purchase (still have well over 150) and Derby Premiums which are the only blades I regret buying in bulk. But, they were only $6 or so...

IMG_0076.jpeg

Feathers are still available, just at 2x the price I paid for my bulk pack five years ago. Which even back then was 2x as much as my other blades.

However, I've since discovered a few other blades that are close in sharpness, smooth, a lot longer lasting, and cost half or less.

In my experience, Feathers start extremely sharp and smooth, then by 3rd shave turn into an average decent blade, and are done after 4th shave. All other blades I keep in my rotation (Nacets, Permasharps, Astra SP, 7 O'Clock Yellow) maintain their sharpness much longer and last at least twice as long. I don't stock Bic Chrome Platinum, but judging by the sample tuck, it's close in sharpness to Feather, just as smooth, and a whole lot longer lasting at less than half the price.
Good call. I restocked 100 BiC for $14. 100 Feather are $39. I remember liking the BiC’s. Don’t feel right buying Russian blades at the moment.

Hello all,

I have simplified my hardware and software usage during the last 2 years.

I find that I use tabac soap mostly and sometimes I use palmolive one or a cream. Since I put my aftershave in spruce bottle, I find that one of two As last for a year too. I use mainly Rockwell 6s and I rotate randomly just for fun. I use 2 synthetic brushes and I have 10 in total from all kind of hair types that I could use if I decide to. I have soaps and As not used in years.

I counted the blades I have, after buying 60 Astra blades and I found out I had about 300 blades as a stash. I was surprised. I think I used 25 blades per year (a blade for 2 weeks). I have found out that I can use the worst blade for 3 shaves at least (unknown Chinese blades).

300 blades were too many for me and I don't belive that there are bad blades either.

I think that anyone in this forum has more than it needs at least for 5 years. How do you manage your stash? Do you just buy blades based on impulse ? Do you have a goal or you just feel good to buy and post for being part of the community here?

Glad to hear your motivations especially on blade purchases.
Last count for me is about 2000 blades. I now shave about once a week. When I buy blades it’s usually 100 at a time price point is better that way.

No goal. It is what it is and will always be updated. Here is what my stash looks like.. and there are more tucks in my bathroom which add up to just over 1k

Now onto the main “long term” storage:

Clipboard May 6, 2024 at 2.40 PM.jpeg

Now onto the main storage being boxed up:

Clipboard May 6, 2024 at 2.44 PM.jpeg

And then we move to the “what’s next?” Box:

Clipboard May 6, 2024 at 2.47 PM.jpeg

So for those doing basic Maths, that’s over 4k of blades… with more to come.. my tag does say Blade Collector! 🤣

Last edited:
What is your goal blade stash?
I reached my goal which is what I currently have, other than maybe buying something now and then, just to try.

Currently I have about:

Double edge: 3015 blades
Single edge: 719 blades
Total: 3734

Which would give me 20-24 years of daily shaves. I will think about restoking when I get to 5 years of blades left.
95% is made of Astra Superior Platinum, Polsilver Super Iridium, Wizamet Super Iridium, Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Comfort Coated, Feather Hi-Stainless, Feather FHS.

My stash is up to about 1800 and two hundred more coming at the end of the week.

I like to have a hundred or two of the blades that I like and use most… and a larger stockpile of the harder to get blades. I would like to get to about 1000 Perma-Sharps and 500 Nacets.

I buy Feathers when they go on sale for about 50% off.

This is the majority of my stockpile. The rest are in two of our bathrooms. I also have 15 spoiler packs of Personna Comfort Coated blades in my garage… for some reason.
F62F6899-7E7F-4A17-BF1C-F0659CA7B0FE.jpeg

Attachments

• 6C16F3F3-A673-4CB4-8B6F-0EC35F0C7288.jpeg
    6C16F3F3-A673-4CB4-8B6F-0EC35F0C7288.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
500+ of each type

Let’s call it 8000 total
That’s a good start! It should be about 5 times that before you finally call it good. You have to think about family members, and friends who may want to shave in the apocalypse.

I’d rather have blades then money, I think they’ll hold their value better. Especially the Russian ones that are soon to be gone.

Ultimately I’d love to have about 1000-2000 each of my top 5 blades and 200-500 each of the next 20 blades that are runner ups. I’ve already got most of this covered but am hoping to double my numbers over the next year if the Russian blades remain available.

No goal. It is what it is and will always be updated. Here is what my stash looks like.. and there are more tucks in my bathroom which add up to just over 1k

Now onto the main “long term” storage:

View attachment 1841861
Now onto the main storage being boxed up:

View attachment 1841862

And then we move to the “what’s next?” Box:

View attachment 1841868

So for those doing basic Maths, that’s over 4k of blades… with more to come.. my tag does say Blade Collector! 🤣
I like your storage methods. I have most of mine in clear totes like your first photo but perhaps a little larger. I like the totes with gaskets around the top to keep dust/moisture out of the tote.

I got mine at the local DG but they don’t have any larger size ones. I think they are 32L so only about 8-9 gallon sizes but they hold about 5-10k blades each depending on the box sizes. Astras take up a lot less space then Feathers/German Wilkies with the large plastic tucks.

I also really like that tackle organizer you have the individual tucks in. I’ve used those in the past for gun parts but never thought to put razor blades in them. I have so many random tucks laying around my shelves and medicine cabinet that it becomes hard to look through them sometimes. That organizer would be perfect.

Top Bottom