Cult of Arko

April 13, 2024 Saturday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, stainless steel
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Soap: ARKO!
Brush: Cremo horse hair
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

This was a three pass shave. No weepers, nicks or irritation. Very close, very smooth!
I can always count on the Overlander to give a wonderful, no drama shave.

Enjoy your weekend!

SOTD 04_13_24.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Dear brain-trust,

I can lather ARKO! with synthetic, badger, and honse brushes, but my favorite piggy brush (bleached boar from Whipped Dog) has been a challenge.

For those of you that regularly use boar bristles to apply this most perfect of soaps, what’s your technique?

Thank you in advance

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Punch’s, yeah? I use exclusively boars and Arko lathers easily for me.

My technique:
1. Soak brush in scuttle for 10-15 minutes, warm water.
2. Splash face with hottest water i can stand.
3. Gently squeeze brush once in the middle of the knot to slightly drain.
4. Load brush by alternating between clockwise and anti-clockwise swirls, primarily tips but slightly splayed. I do this as long as it takes to fill my basin about half way, so, maybe 30 seconds. I never timed it, nor did I ever count swirls. My wee soap bowl is overflowing with pre-lather by the time I’m finished (I use Anchor-Hocking 1-cup glass bowls with lids from the Big River; the puck fits perfectly).
5. Apply brush to face. I go against manufacturers instructions and alternate between scrubbing hand painting until I am satisfied with the lather. When I say “scrub,” I mean SCRUB. Scrub and paint, scrub and paint.
6. Complete first pass and rinse face.
7. Dip brush tips in sink, flick once, and reload, maybe 5-6 swirls in each direction. There may be enough soap left in the brush, but, soap is cheap.
8. Repeat 5-7 as required.
9. When done with shave, I wipe down my soap bowl to remove leftover lather and let it sit uncovered for the day, then cover and put in the cabinet at night.

I never need to add additional water and the wet brush blooms the soap adequately. I have a well, so my water is quite hard, even with my treatment system.

If you’re speaking of sticks, I can give my technique for that as well. I much prefer pucks and use sticks only for travel.

thombrogan

Thank you, Bill!

I do primarily use ARKO! in stick form. Oddly, my favorite boar brush works with great with other soaps and creams and I can lather ARKO! with every other brush I use - including an Ω boar brush.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Dear brain-trust,

I can lather ARKO! with synthetic, badger, and honse brushes, but my favorite piggy brush (bleached boar from Whipped Dog) has been a challenge.

For those of you that regularly use boar bristles to apply this most perfect of soaps, what’s your technique?

Thank you in advance
Thom, you could try what I do, which has never failed to make Arko into the creamiest, bestest lather evah!

Put the Arko into a bowl or mug. Soak the brush, then wring out as much water as you can. Load the brush until the fibers begin to stick together. Then put water directly in the mug/bowl on top of the Arko (I use about a teaspoon) and then continue to lather. It explodes into a fantastic cream. The brush will swell with the lather. Then I "push" the brush down and slightly splay the fibers onto any remaining lather on top of the soap puck to finish loading the brush.

Works every time. Did it this morning in fact.

thombrogan

Thanks, Jay! When I get back to my boar brush, I’ll try that.

I‘m just befuddled because this brush works well with everything else and ARKO! works with all my other brushes, even another boar brush. For now, the ARKO! remains and I ask myself the age old question: G5A or G5C?

Top Bottom