What's new

Gumbo for the family

Hey guys! Showing off some chicken and sausage gumbo I made for the family. For this one, I used okra to thicken, and threw in some pre-cooked chicken breast and chicken liver pieces, and finished it up with some jalapeños and served it over rice. I also made some dirty rice on the side. What do you think? Got some gumbo photos/tips you want to share? Let me know!

IMG_7803.jpeg

Gumbo looks good! Southeastern Louisiana boy here. Interesting with the liver. Liver is not traditionally added down here; bet it adds a nice depth of flavor. Did you make a roux? Didn't make a gumbo this year; everyone's on a diet.
I Personally like to add a little liver to give a gamey tinge to the soup. but you gotta be careful how much you add, too much of it will make it metallic tasting lol. I made a darker brown roux using butter and flour and used ragin' cajun seasoning base.

Some really good folks in that area of Louisiana. Those people come out of the womb finishing an alligator sauce piquante with a jambalaya on the side.
Alas, I only spent time there as a kid, visiting my grandparents several times. Great food, but I wasn't drinking then.

Top Bottom