What's new

How do you like your shaving soap?

With boar or badger brushes I use hard soaps / croaps.
With synthetic I use mostly creams.
So depends of brush for me :)

My preferred loading method is to scoop a single use portion into my lather bowl. This works best with creams and croaps. Sticks are my preference for travel. Pucks are last but I always keep one in the shower. I don’t use them much for face shaving.

For a long while I was an advocate of creams over soaps on these forums, considering building soap lather in a mug or bowl to be "fussy" and time consuming. I compared it to the efficiency of a cigar versus the anal retentiveness of keeping a pipe going. Palm-rubbed creams were AR-15s, soaps were Brown Bess muskets.

Since Christmas, I have abandoned that line of thinking and now enjoy my soaps, my two synthetics, and my two boars.

I've been using the RazoRock "What the Puck" hard soaps of Gold and Black Label, and RazoRock "Gold". Arko! grated down into a mug, and as of last shave the Van Der Hagen Luxury fitted to a classic Old Spice mug.

Consider me converted. Although I do "help" my soaps with a layer of hair conditioner rubbed on while in the shower most times. Really slicks up that first north-south.

A hard puck does require a little more effort to make a good lather, but it is worth the effort.

Gillette-Arko.JPG

I started with creams and moved on to hard soaps. For a long time I was a soap snob, believing that people who used creams were unenlightened, and that eventually everybody would come around to the realization that soaps were far superior.

But then suddenly, and for no apparent reason, I asked for a couple of creams for Christmas one year and started adding them to my rotation.

Now I literally have no preference and I use both.

I don't use shave sticks and I never will, though, because I don't like face lathering.

Started with creams for a year. Got a tub of cella. Went overseas for 6 months. Learned 1 soap1 brush. Now I use sticks while at work. And pucks at home. Haven’t used creams since ‘12.

I started with creams and moved on to hard soaps. For a long time I was a soap snob, believing that people who used creams were unenlightened, and that eventually everybody would come around to the realization that soaps were far superior.

But then suddenly, and for no apparent reason, I asked for a couple of creams for Christmas one year and started adding them to my rotation.

Now I literally have no preference and I use both.

I don't use shave sticks and I never will, though, because I don't like face lathering.

I did the same thing. For years I was only creams, then went to soaps and probably for a year I was exclusively soap. Then I found a cream that I had put away and started with creams. Now it’s a combination of both, it only took 17 years to get to this point. 😛

For some strange reasons, people still think that hard soaps are more tricky to lather. Depends from the soap. For example Cyril R Salter which is a very hard soap (consistency is most similar to Speick stick) is very easy to lather, not much at all different than croaps.

In the beginning I mainly used croaps from a handful of artisans. That is what is in most of my hoard boxes. Now I don't really care for them. I like creams in tubes like Proraso or Lavanda, hard pucks in discontinued bases, and Martin de Candre in a jar. Also What the Puck Green and Black.

Top Bottom