What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

For those in the know, CBS (via recently acquired Hytron) made some wonderful sounding vacuum tubes during this period.

53-9-21.jpg

From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

For those in the know, CBS (via recently acquired Hytron) made some wonderful sounding vacuum tubes during this period.

View attachment 1836038
Amos & Andy, Jackie Gleason, and Burns & Allen -- three reasons why CBS was so often a ratings favorite among the three networks back then. Eventually they'd have Have Gun -- Will Travel, Hawaii Five-O, the "hayseed" comedies, and the groundbreaking shows like All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore. But even at this early stage they showcased top-notch performers.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

View attachment 1836038
The chair the woman is sitting in looks like it's terribly uncomfortable!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Sadly a good overcoat is difficult to find. Nothing better to keep the weather at bay.

For many years, my morning uniform was a full business suit with white shirt, dress shoes and brief case (or trial bag).

And most mornings, I would wear a version of that double-breasted trench with belt, shown in the lower panel of that ad. If I wasn't driving in, or was walking more than a block at location, it went on right over top the suit jacket.

Mine had a liner, so that in winter it was plenty warm enough, and in spring and fall it zipped out, to become a comfortable lightweight. I still have it, buried in a closet somewhere. Not quite as worn and crumpled as the TV Columbo's was, but it has a lot of miles on it.

I was very particular about the shoes, being always polished to a mirror shine, and they would sometimes draw attention and comments at the most interesting times. In winter snow and slush, I indeed wore rubbers over perfectly polished cordovans and wing tips, because nothing ruins a good shoe faster than salty water.

And on many (but not all) fall and winter mornings, a hat. Just a simple brown one.

And in summer, no overcoat, but if it was going to rain, definitely an umbrella and a pair of more modest shoes.

I don't think working business people dress this way anymore. Do they even wear a tie? Half of them look like they haven't shaved in several days.

Amos & Andy, Jackie Gleason, and Burns & Allen -- three reasons why CBS was so often a ratings favorite among the three networks back then. Eventually they'd have Have Gun -- Will Travel, Hawaii Five-O, the "hayseed" comedies, and the groundbreaking shows like All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore. But even at this early stage they showcased top-notch performers.
In the late 1940s, with television on the horizon, CBS head William Paley raided rival NBC for the talent that would form the foundation of the CBS Television Network. The biggest "gets" for Paley were Jack Benny and Freeman Gosden and Charles Cordell (Amos 'n Andy), but he also snatched up Red Skelton, Burns and Allen, and Edgar Bergen. NBC radio was crippled and CBS' successful segue into TV was assured.

CBS acquired Gleason from rival TV network DuMont by the way.

For many years, my morning uniform was a full business suit with white shirt, dress shoes and brief case (or trial bag).

And most mornings, I would wear a version of that double-breasted trench with belt, shown in the lower panel of that ad. If I wasn't driving in, or was walking more than a block at location, it went on right over top the suit jacket.

Mine had a liner, so that in winter it was plenty warm enough, and in spring and fall it zipped out, to become a comfortable lightweight. I still have it, buried in a closet somewhere. Not quite as worn and crumpled as the TV Columbo's was, but it has a lot of miles on it.

I was very particular about the shoes, being always polished to a mirror shine, and they would sometimes draw attention and comments at the most interesting times. In winter snow and slush, I indeed wore rubbers over perfectly polished cordovans and wing tips, because nothing ruins a good shoe faster than salty water.

And on many (but not all) fall and winter mornings, a hat. Just a simple brown one.

And in summer, no overcoat, but if it was going to rain, definitely an umbrella and a pair of more modest shoes.

I don't think working business people dress this way anymore. Do they even wear a tie? Half of them look like they haven't shaved in several days.

Most business folks won't even iron a shirt anymore. Unpolished shoes, no tie.

My last stretch of work before retirement is home based. Glad to be done with commuting by car. This current position before moving home involved a lengthy car commute, a bus ride, and a mile or so walk to the office. Leather case in hand. Purchased a London Fog raincoat with removable liner. Was too short really, more of the popular 1970's style. Since found a British raincoat with removable liner. This one is excellent.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Most business folks won't even iron a shirt anymore. Unpolished shoes, no tie.

My last stretch of work before retirement is home based. Glad to be done with commuting by car. This current position before moving home involved a lengthy car commute, a bus ride, and a mile or so walk to the office. Leather case in hand. Purchased a London Fog raincoat with removable liner. Was too short really, more of the popular 1970's style. Since found a British raincoat with removable liner. This one is excellent.

Well … I must confess, when things got past a point, and it was 16 hour days (and often weekends), I did start taking my shirts to the nearby laundry. For 40 or 50 cents, or whatever they charged per shirt (I don’t remember anymore) it turned out to be a little cheaper than my time to launder and iron it myself. And you got a new wire hanger back in the bargain.

But for those first couple years, I did wash and iron my own. I remember my eventual mother-in-law bought my first iron, because money was a little tight those first couple months. I eventually stopped using it every day. But it did teach me how to properly iron a good dress shirt in under 5 minutes, an art I eventually tried to pass along to my own son.

He eventually did become an expert shirt ironer. But it took men with guns to do it!

I still prefer to polish my own shoes. That said, the very best shine I ever got was from an old gent, deep in the bowels of 30th Street Station in Philadelphia, between trains, back when they had shine stands down there. Hopefully he now dances with the angels in Heaven, in gleaming perfection that never needs polishing.

Top Bottom