What's new

My first straight razor

1714122638823.png
1714122564090.png

Today ive gotten my first straight razor. After shaving with a shavette for some time i wanted to try the real thing and thrifted this pretty zwiling. Its slightly rusted and has a tiny chip but im fairly confident in my blade sharpening skills and hope to be able to clean it up and shave. Please if you know anything about zwiling razors or have any tips please share il be happy to hear it.

Well. For the guy who reacted with popocorn. Shes done. The razors plenty sharp as my (now missing) arm hair and piece of my thumb can attest. I cant wait to shave with it. Many people on reddit say that its a piece of junk. Any idea why?

Attachments

• 1714150341631.png
    1714150341631.png
    252.2 KB · Views: 15
People on Reddit might think it has been honed too much and has passed its useful life. Either that or Reddit has become as narcissistic as twitter and Facebook.

How wide is the blade? I find 9/16 and narrower can take some getting used to and find 5/8 or 6/8 easier to use. Especially when starting out.

If you're just starting with a straight, take your time and don't worry if the shave isn't as close as you would like. Just concentrate on keeping the blood on the inside of your skin. Close shaves will come.

People on Reddit might think it has been honed too much and has passed its useful life. Either that or Reddit has become as narcissistic as twitter and Facebook.

How wide is the blade? I find 9/16 and narrower can take some getting used to and find 5/8 or 6/8 easier to use. Especially when starting out.

If you're just starting with a straight, take your time and don't worry if the shave isn't as close as you would like. Just concentrate on keeping the blood on the inside of your skin. Close shaves will come.
Thanks man, ive got a lil experience from using a shavette. The blade is very thin, someone told me that its a razor used for for cleaning and cutting the moustache area.

Top Bottom