What's new

Do You Guys like 40 S&W as a caliber?

Sounds good my friend. :)

What specifically are you referring to as a ‘straw man’?

The part you bolded? The 9mm does have more recoil then the .22? So on and so on?

I absolutely agree with this and don’t see anywhere I have suggested differently? In fact, I’m sure there is a post of mine in the what weapon in an intrusion thread that even mentions don’t choose a shotgun if you can’t handle it and pick the right weapon for exactly how one plans on handling the specific situation?

I would even go further in saying, If you can’t handle a 9mm, then get a .22? Isn’t a .22 in the hands of someone better than nothing?

It wasn’t too long back the President of my HOA approached me and told me he was thinking about getting an AR for home defense and could I take him to the range to try out and shoot an AR?

I did that very thing. However, even though he is 80 years old, there are many kinds and types of 80 year olds? While this particular 80 year old is very small in height and weight, he is also very thin and frail. While he is in good health and walks his dog a couple of miles every day, I could tell he is very weak in his legs, upper torso with out much muscle mass.

He also owns a S&W M&P compact, so I asked him to bring it along. Before I even put the AR in his hands, I had him shoot his 9mm.

After about an half hour, I realized his lack of coordination, lack of grip strength, lack of finger strength for proper trigger control even with the striker fired trigger wasn’t good. I even had to repeatedly charge the pistol as he didn’t have the strength to manipulate the slide.

He showed these same discrepancies with the AR. He shot the AR fine from a rest. But he could not shoulder it, hold it there with any firm foundation of self support. He had a very hard time working the controls or reloading or even charging the rifle while supporting it under his own power.

Well, guess what? Because I was already a bit doubtful and pessimistic before we even got to the range, I also brought with me my Ruger MKIV and my Ruger 10/22 with the Ruger BX-25 magazines.

We spent a couple of hours with those Rugers, me showing him and his wife, how to shoot, operate, manipulate, carry, load and reload those two Ruger .22’s.

He and his wife, live in a very safe gated community, in a very safe neighborhood in a very safe suburb of the city.

The odds of them having to use a couple of .22’s is hopefully close to nil. However, you should have seen their eyes light up and the smiles and glow of confidence on their faces and the relief I could see in their expressions when they learned to use and consistently operate those .22’s and that even at 80 and quite frail, they felt the feeling of independence again with the ability to possibly be able to protect themselves real or imagined.
They now are the proud owners of their own Ruger MK IV and 10/22. :).

There are many who get this with 9mm, .45, .357, .40 and yes, even .22. :)

I agree sir. But do you also agree they will also do it better and faster than .357? .44? 10mm? What about .380? Or .22?

I think a healthy viably stronger person can learn to shoot most caliber’s without ‘Grandmaster skills’? Where does it begin on the caliber size scale for the need of Grandmaster skills? Talk about your ‘straw-man’s? :)

I spent 10 years successfully teaching young adult males & females to use Glock 22’s & 23’s chambered in .40 S&W. There were always a few here, or one or two there, who I sent home and ended their LE careers because they couldn’t learn the proficiency it takes to carry and use a .40 caliber Glock. We didn’t bounce them down to a 9mm, we bounced them out.

But the majority of participating cadets did make it and became or are police officers as I type this. In saying this, this same department’s policies now only train cadets in the academy with 9mm instead of .40. How times change. But are they doing this because 9mm “ is just as good” as .40? Or because it’s cheaper to purchase a 1,000 rounds per cadet? Along with it being easier? They also allow the choice of 9mm .40 and .45 for officers after the academy as long as they qualify with their preferred choice.

But let’s not get reality twisted. Just because 9mm is easier, that doesn’t make it better or just as good? IMO, the best skills learned are sometimes, the harder to obtain? But always well worth the time & trouble put into in order to obtain them.

I personally think there is a huge learning curve between a .22 and a .44 Magnum. But .22 to .32? Not so much? .41 Magnum to .44 Magnum? Not so much. .40 S&W to 10mm? Not so much.

9mm to .40? Barely noticeable at all if we are simply speaking in terms of combat pistols at combat ranges when it comes to recoil, muzzle rise, follow up and shots on targets. If a person is viable enough physically to learn the skill of controlling 9mm, .40 isn’t that different? It just takes the time, desire and commitment to do so. It absolutely amazes me, that the same people who suggest that the .40 is somehow WAY more difficult to shoot over the 9mm, these same people want us to believe that 9mm round is comparable to the .40 in terminal ballistics and the gap between them is so small and insignificant?

Really? Can’t have it both ways? It’s much harder to control because of its increased power? But the 9mm is just as capable? Confusingly interesting to me. :)

If you want to talk 4 leaf clovers in competition? Ok, but that’s a straw man because those guys are looking for the smallest groups in order to win they’re not looking to end a fight fast.

If you want to talk about wet behind the ear non shooters who have never touched a gun? That’s a straw man also, because if you argue 9mm, I would say a .22 is the first gun they should touch.

Even my G23 holds 13 rounds in the magazine with a 14th in the pipe. :)

No one is arguing here that everyone should carry and use a .40. I carry a 9mm 99% of the time in my retired civilian life and feel efficiently armed.

I have clearly stated only two things. One is personal preference of the .40 either as a duty caliber or if/when you absolutely know you will be going into harms way.

The second is fact.

The 9mm gets it done only by speed.

The .45 gets it done only by size.

The .40 gets it done by speed & size. Which is a superior option if we are just strictly comparing the calibers and not any of the many other intricacies or straw man’s into the equation or debate.

Speaking on just the calibers, do you disagree? :)

I missed my calling as a defense attorney…. ;)
My friend,
The ad infinitum .22 is easier than .380 is easier than 9mm, etc., etc., that is so frequently used on gun boards, is the straw man, and it serves none of us well.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to use a particular caliber.

Your statement regarding the relative merits of the calibers, based on terminal efficacy requirements, is true.

However. For a defensive sidearm of the 3 main calibers, the majority of shooters will have more and more accurate hits with the 9mm. If we remove the criteria of using a double-stack weapon, and allow single-stacks, on the exceeding and anecdotal information I've randomly encountered, the trainers I've known/worked with will say shooters using 9mm and .45 are pretty neck and neck.

Granted, many folks (including yourself) perform well with .40, but as evidenced by virtually every department in the country backtracking and allowing, if not converting back to, 9mm and occasionally .45, for shooters of comparable experience and performance level, the milder calibers will show better hit ratios.

Having said that, it is possible to take a HK USP (the first handgun designed around the .40) and MagnaPort it, change the springs, do a bit of tuck-n-tailor on the grip, and it's a whole new platform (btdt). If I were starting over with the funds I have available in a no-kids-at-home life, I would seriously look at .40. Cost in system support and extra rounds in training is higher, but starting from ground zero that would be calculating the cost of the tower, speaking parabolically.😉

Peace.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My friend,
The ad infinitum .22 is easier than .380 is easier than 9mm, etc., etc., that is so frequently used on gun boards, is the straw man, and it serves none of us well.

Interesting, I am reading gun boards all the time and have never seen it? I honestly thought I had come up with an original? :)

If this gun sub forum represents a microcosm of all the other gun boards, you’d think someone else here would have also been guilty of as you say; ‘ad infinitum’?

If saying .22 is easier than .380 which is easier than 9mm is so common place as you say; why is this post from this other guy the only one I can find here other than mine from several years back? :)

I agree with you completely Jim. There are differences in the controllability and handling between the 9mm and .40. However, the question is: For who? And to what degree? For the novice? Or the average concealed permit holder? Who, while may have owned a firearm for security of the home or who have even carried concealed for years, other then occasionally going to the range and/or while knowledgeable of the physical operations of the firearms they own, may not have honed their skill in shooting with various calibers.

Enthusiasts such as yourself and I, the gap in differences in calibers become quite smaller, even to the point where like you, I don't notice any significant difference, between the 9mm and .40 that would dictate a different outcome in a self-defense or gunfight application. And while the designs and metallurgies of modern pistol ammunition has closed the gaps for the, 9mm, .40 and .45.

However, after 22 years working in a major metropolitan city, my experience has shown me, that while the ballistic science of chrono's, FBI ballistic gelatin behind various clothing and plywood barriers, and such, is all good science. In my personal experience, it doesn't always translate into real world performance. I have seen many gsw's in my time, anywhere from .22 to .44 Magnum and everything in between including shotguns.

In my experience with real world shootings, the bigger AND faster the bullet? The worse the outcome. IMO, the general conclusion and absolute solution of being negatively averse to the differences in recoil of various and effective calibers is more training, not smaller bullets.

The reality is, that most of the writers in the interesting and fascinating gun rags we read, who wax eloquent and mesmerizing articles about the science of velocities, terminal performance, penetration and travel depths, have never heard a shot fired in anger, or seen someone expire, gurgling in their own blood.

Sure doesn’t seem as common as you say in this gun forum?

I'm not trying to convince anyone to use a particular caliber.

Neither am I my friend? The OP simply asked if we liked .40 S&W caliber? So I simply posted I do like it and why?

I also listed a few facts as why the .40 caliber is superior to the 9mm or .45 caliber’s?

You seem to have taken my post of why I like the .40 as a reason to debate with me about why ‘other people’ choose the 9mm over the .40?

I don’t know why you feel like my opinion on just the .40 caliber has inspired you to debate me on the merits of the ‘what’s & why’s’ Non expert pistol shooters choose a 9mm pistol over a .40 pistol?

The only problem I can see with your debate is? Lol’d, I absolutely agree with you on everything you just posted above? Isn’t it kinda hard to debate a guy that 100% fully agrees with you and your points? :)

Go easy on me killer…. :)

Your statement regarding the relative merits of the calibers, based on terminal efficacy requirements, is true.

This makes me happy! Cuz my statement was based on factual ballistic merits. :)

However. For a defensive sidearm of the 3 main calibers, the majority of shooters will have more and more accurate hits with the 9mm.

I see nothing here to disagree with? And trust me, I luvs me some disagreements. :)

If we remove the criteria of using a double-stack weapon, and allow single-stacks, on the exceeding and anecdotal information I've randomly encountered, the trainers I've known/worked with will say shooters using 9mm and .45 are pretty neck and neck.
I can concur this by carrying my G43X or my Springfield 1911 more than any other pistols. :)

Granted, many folks (including yourself) perform well with .40, but as evidenced by virtually every department in the country backtracking and allowing, if not converting back to, 9mm and occasionally .45, for shooters of comparable experience and performance level, the milder calibers will show better hit ratios.

Depends on how you define better?

First off, before all these PD’s transitioned back, you would need to tabulate every officer involved shooting from basically 2002 until now that used a .40 caliber service weapon. Not only should the hit ratios be notated but also how quickly the .40 caliber stopped the fight. And then compare those with officer involved shootings with the 9mm.

I’m fixing to do something I have said I would never do and that is speak on the three different shootings I was involved in during my career; and while trying not to reveal too much, might at least give you some perspective on my view points about the .40.

My very first officer involved shooting, I hadn’t been a police officer very long when I was called to back up another officer who was responding to a vagrant call at one of our local city parks.

Before I even arrived at the park, the initial officer on the call had already ran the homeless man’s information which came back with several
warrants.

Upon my arrival, I could see the initial officer talking with the subject, so I exited my unit and was walking towards them when the subject pulled out a large hunting knife from under his jacket and began approaching the other officer. We both pulled our duty pistols, which at the time were Glock 17’s. They didn’t have Gold Dots or HST’s at that time so we had some type of standard Federal HP stuff in our service pistols.

While the subject was walking and advancing towards the other officer, his hands were to his sides and he was still more than 21 feet away as the initial officer kept backing up and yelling commands for him to drop the knife. As the subject raised the knife over his head in a threatening manner, I was surprised the other officer had not started shooting?

So I immediately began to discharge my service weapon at the subject. As the first couple of rounds made impact, the subject began running at the initial officer closing ground really quickly. I kept firing but all of my rounds didn’t hit the subject because he was moving pretty fast.

The subject then closed in and made contact with the officer, stabbing him in the top of his left shoulder with the knife, but not before the initial officer got off two of his own rounds which dropped the subject.

After the investigation was concluded, it was found that I had fired 12 times from my Glock 17, striking the subject 9 times. While those 9 shots didn’t hit any major organs of the subject for several reasons, because he was running, his right side was facing me and not center mass and I had only been a cop for not quite two years yet and was young and dumb and thought I was a much better shot then what I actually was.

However, the 9 rounds that did find their mark, one struck him in the neck, but missed anything vital, two struck him in the shoulder, and one in the arm. 4 of them struck him in the side and hip, completely shattering his pelvic girdle and the ninth round hit him in his upper thigh.

Yet he still covered at least 23 or 24 feet and stabbed the other officer. That Officer got off two of his own rounds striking the subject in his left upper chest near his left shoulder.

Here is the crazy part. He lived… 11 times with 9mm holes in him and he survived I think another 3 years in prison where he did succumb from complications due to infections.

I get the fact that none of his major organs were destroyed in the shooting, but we do have to ask ourselves, while the speed of those 9mm’s found their target, if they would have also had the hammering knock down thumping size and weight of a .45? Or the size and speed of the .40? Would he have still covered that 23 feet and stabbed an officer?

That officer had to take an early retirement because of permanent nerve damage to his shoulder and arm.

While I won’t go into the same detail of my other two shootings, I will say they were both gunfights I was carrying a G23 .40 and both fights were stopped quickly and suddenly.

They reversed policy & procedure to give caliber choice to officers 5 years before I retired and many a officer switched over for the smaller, faster 9mm and there were even a few old skool vets who switched to the bigger but slower .45. Not many, but a few did. But many, stayed with their .40’s, including most who had experienced an officer involved shooting.

Having said that, it is possible to take a HK USP (the first handgun designed around the .40) and MagnaPort it, change the springs, do a bit of tuck-n-tailor on the grip, and it's a whole new platform (btdt). If I were starting over with the funds I have available in a no-kids-at-home life, I would seriously look at .40. Cost in system support and extra rounds in training is higher, but starting from ground zero that would be calculating the cost of the tower, speaking parabolically.😉

Peace.

All handgun pistol calibers pale in comparison to the terminal ballistics of shotgun or rifle. However, you won’t ever have to convince me, that someone who doesn’t see or appreciate the superior terminal ballistics of the .40 caliber, because they are new shooters, or because they don’t want to hone their shooting skill with a .40 or a host of other reasons, including convincing themselves that the 9mm or .45 is ‘just as good’ as the .40. I absolutely agree with your argument. They should stick with the 9mm.

Because while it isn’t as easy as .380, .32 and .22, it is a bit easier then .40. :)

And since the only thing I disagree with about is how often it’s mentioned in forums (which it’s not). I’ll say, look at the bright side, the .40 is easier then the 10mm and .44. :)

Last edited:
Only reason I carry a .40 is because I don’t own a 10mm. Trite but true. Have four of them, full size to compact. I personally think the FBI dropped it for the 9mm, again, was because “smaller” officers could not handle its recoil. I was a Provost Marshal in the Army Guard and while the .45 was standard issue, female MPs could carry a .38.

my only shooting as a cop in L.A. was with a Smith 5904. suspect ducked behind a hedge and returned fire at his muzzle flash. One hit in his shoulder didn’t faze him at all. Ran inside the house and a half hour when we convinced him to exit, other than the blood, he looked ready to rabbit down the street. BTW, he was carrying a Bryco .380, stolen during the riots. You could tell because one grip was melted in the fire when they burned down the pawn shot. Still, it managed to get off 4 shots before jamming.

OkieStubble

Only reason I carry a .40 is because I don’t own a 10mm. Trite but true. Have four of them, full size to compact. I personally think the FBI dropped it for the 9mm, again, was because “smaller” officers could not handle its recoil. I was a Provost Marshal in the Army Guard and while the .45 was standard issue, female MPs could carry a .38.

my only shooting as a cop in L.A. was with a Smith 5904. suspect ducked behind a hedge and returned fire at his muzzle flash. One hit in his shoulder didn’t faze him at all. Ran inside the house and a half hour when we convinced him to exit, other than the blood, he looked ready to rabbit down the street. BTW, he was carrying a Bryco .380, stolen during the riots. You could tell because one grip was melted in the fire when they burned down the pawn shot. Still, it managed to get off 4 shots before jamming.

I was a college sophomore when the La riots was going on. :)

I remember sitting in Penal Code class and the instructor letting us watch it unfold on TV. LAPD even had a recruiter call several of us students offering us plane tickets and 3 day room & board to come apply.

I was like, no thank you. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'd rather have the old .38-40...something completely different from the .40 S&W. :lol:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I was a college sophomore when the La riots was going on. :)

I remember sitting in Penal Code class and the instructor letting us watch it unfold on TV. LAPD even had a recruiter call several of us students offering us plane tickets and 3 day room & board to come apply.

I was like, no thank you. :)
Which LA Riots? There been a bunch and I was living in LA from not long after the Watts riots, Tate-LaBianca and Brown Berets bank bombings right up to Symbionese Liberation Army/Patty Hearst era. Wasn't there for the Zoot Suit riots though.

i had a sig 229 in .40 and got rid of it. not that i disliked the caliber but at the time i was more invested in 9mm. Fast forward 15 years and I'm divesting 9mm in favor of .45acp and 10mm. that said, unless you are budget conscious, why shoot .40 when you can shoot 10mm? and if budget is the factor you may as well stay with 9mm

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'd rather have the old .38-40...something completely different from the .40 S&W. :lol:

I've enjoyed shooting my Ruger Blackhawk in .38-40. The pistol also has a 10 mm cylinder, but I prefer the .38-40

Ad Astra

The Instigator
40 S&W is a fine round, never noticed the snappy thing but shooting side by side with a 9, yes, it's simply a bit more gun.

Like any middle child in a family, it's learned to get along with it's 9 and 45 siblings. All have merit. Whatever makes a 45 "better" must also semi-apply to a 40, lol.

Only thing that drives me crazy is the lack of bullet weights, 165, 180 or hit the road Jack. I should reload it ...

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Which LA Riots? There been a bunch and I was living in LA from not long after the Watts riots, Tate-LaBianca and Brown Berets bank bombings right up to Symbionese Liberation Army/Patty Hearst era. Wasn't there for the Zoot Suit riots though.

All similar to the PLO, Original Black Panthers, and the IRA in Ireland. Domestic terrorists that robbed banks, kidnapped people, blew up buildings, and killed people. Not to mention college protests to the Vietnam War and spitting on returning soldiers that were drafted and didn't have a choice. Nothing is new.

Other than a couple of Glock clones that pretty much live in the safe, I have two 40s. Both are 1911s, one full size and one Commander size. Both these pistols were 10mm and I fit 40 barrels to them. There is a clue in that statement. Yes, I can and do swap them back and forth between ten and forty, but no doubt about it, the 40 is way more enjoyable to shoot with excellent accuracy. I also prefer lighter bullets in both (165 grain) even though I have 180s on the shelf. As Okiestubble has said, bullet performance matters. Hollow point bullets are iffy below 1100 fps at point of impact and keeping a 165 in the 40 above that threshold is a piece of cake.

All that being said, I still carry a 45. Why? Because it's the girl I brought to the dance and I'm old and set in my ways. Besides, both my carry pistols are chambered in 45 ACP. That being said, I absolutely would not hesitate to carry a pistol chambered in 40 S&W and I wouldn't feel that I had taken a step down. The same could be said for one of my 38 supers, as they are spitting 125 grain bullets out around 1,500 fps. I own several 9mm pistols and there are a couple thousand rounds in ammo cans on the shelf. I haven't fired a 9 in over a year. Nothing wrong with a 9, it just isn't anything I carry and I practice with what I carry. I use the 9 and the 22lr to introduce new shooters to our hobby, both having mild recoil and report. I do shoot my 22s for sight picture and trigger control practice.

I am headed to the range today. There is a 357, a 22lr, and a 45 longslide in the range bag. I hit the range four to six times a month and routinely run over 1,000 rounds of centerfire ammo through pistols in those outings (total). I know it's a fool's errand, but I am still hoping that I will actually be able to hit what I'm shooting at someday.

Now, if the manufacturers would quit messing around and push the 9x25 Dillon where I could buy a chamber reamer and some dies for it, I would put one of those together.

Bill.

Last edited:

In my hands, in a full size (5") all steel 1911, the difference in recoil is significantly more than noticeable. Personally, I wouldn't carry a 10mm for a couple of reasons. 1. Recovery time to the second shot is going to be excessive due to the recoil, and 2. Over penetration with the 10 really worries me.
If memory serves, I recall that the hollow point bullet was invented to limit penetration so a shot to a bad guy didn't also bore through the poor soul behind him. I'm not convinced that a hollow point bullet from a 10 would be likely to stop in the target. I've known people who carried 44s. They give me the willies for this reason.

I am not recoil sensitive, as I shoot a LOT. However, Newton won't be denied. The faster you push a heavy bullet, the equal and opposite reaction escalates as well. With the 40, I have noticed that the recoil is 'different' from a 45 in a 1911, but the difference is so small as to be a non issue. The 10 is in another league. Not abusive, but not something I would take to the range and run 200 rounds through it like I do my 40s, 45s, and Supers.

I like switch barrel guns and I have three of them. If any of your 40s are 1911s, a trip to a gunsmith will turn it in to a switch barrel gun pretty easily. You can use the same 10mm or 45 ACP magazines in both (yes, my 10/40 pistols both run flawlessly with 45 ACP magazines). You will need a different recoil spring. Something in the 22-23 pound range should work for the 10. I also went to a square bottom firing pin stop and a 22 pound mainspring in mine but that extreme probably isn't necessary.

Bill.

Recoil doesn’t currently bother me, so I prefer a more substantial defense round in a full size handgun, 40 S&W, 10mm, 45+P… of course that will probably change as I get older. Micros are a different story, I use 9mm+P in my Apex Hellcat. Really no wrong or right answers, just preference.

Caliber wars aside .40 is a fun cartridge, I enjoy/ed it when ammo used to be inexpensive. Sure at the time it was bit more expensive than 9mm but it was fun. Like shooting .38spl is fun but shooting .357 mag is a blast, no pun intended. I think it would be great to have a .40 or .357sig carbine. Also with a switch of a barrel having .357 sig on hand was fun too.

OkieStubble

In my hands, in a full size (5") all steel 1911, the difference in recoil is significantly more than noticeable. Personally, I wouldn't carry a 10mm for a couple of reasons. 1. Recovery time to the second shot is going to be excessive due to the recoil, and 2. Over penetration with the 10 really worries me.
If memory serves, I recall that the hollow point bullet was invented to limit penetration so a shot to a bad guy didn't also bore through the poor soul behind him. I'm not convinced that a hollow point bullet from a 10 would be likely to stop in the target. I've known people who carried 44s. They give me the willies for this reason.

I am not recoil sensitive, as I shoot a LOT. However, Newton won't be denied. The faster you push a heavy bullet, the equal and opposite reaction escalates as well. With the 40, I have noticed that the recoil is 'different' from a 45 in a 1911, but the difference is so small as to be a non issue. The 10 is in another league. Not abusive, but not something I would take to the range and run 200 rounds through it like I do my 40s, 45s, and Supers.

I like switch barrel guns and I have three of them. If any of your 40s are 1911s, a trip to a gunsmith will turn it in to a switch barrel gun pretty easily. You can use the same 10mm or 45 ACP magazines in both (yes, my 10/40 pistols both run flawlessly with 45 ACP magazines). You will need a different recoil spring. Something in the 22-23 pound range should work for the 10. I also went to a square bottom firing pin stop and a 22 pound mainspring in mine but that extreme probably isn't necessary.

Bill.

Excellent post Bill. Very thorough and detailed. In the Officer shootings I have had experience with, either in first person or investigating after the fact; I have seen on more than a few occasions where the .40 caliber round had dynamically mushroomed to it’s largest diameter possible and expending every last bit of its energy in creating quite the remarkable wound channel; then watching CSI easily finding the totally spent round, resting just inside the person’s t-shirt after exiting.

‘Very convincing’ is the only words I would know how to describe it.

OkieStubble

Caliber wars aside .40 is a fun cartridge, I enjoy/ed it when ammo used to be inexpensive. Sure at the time it was bit more expensive than 9mm but it was fun. Like shooting .38spl is fun but shooting .357 mag is a blast, no pun intended. I think it would be great to have a .40 or .357sig carbine. Also with a switch of a barrel having .357 sig on hand was fun too.

I have a G32 barrel which fits into my G23 so I can shoot .357 Sig. it is a very fun and exciting round to shoot and very accurate. While 9mm is just a bit easier to handle then the .40 or .357 Sig, I personally find, the intrinsic accuracy of the .40 and .357 Sig is still a bit better than standard 9mm from the same sized Glock. Regardless of the 9mm being the easiest to control.

OkieStubble

Recoil doesn’t currently bother me, so I prefer a more substantial defense round in a full size handgun, 40 S&W, 10mm, 45+P… of course that will probably change as I get older. Micros are a different story, I use 9mm+P in my Apex Hellcat. Really no wrong or right answers, just preference.

I’m right there with you. It’s seems kind of difficult these days, to just simply complement the virtues of the .40, without someone, someplace, taking the truths of which is spoken, and somehow making it seem like one is disparaging the self defense adequacies of other viable calibers like the 9mm or .45.

Just because I think the .40 is superior to the 9mm or .45 in terminal ballistic’s, does not mean or confer that I am disparaging the virtues of the other calibers and what makes them viable as adequate self defense rounds.

For me personally, what makes the 9mm make me want to carry it concealed more than the .40 that I am praising so highly? Well, if we just simply consider the size of the delivery package?

If I’m just going about my day and am not purposely putting myself into harm’s way? I’ll take the size of my G43X and the 124 gr +P Gold Dot it’s stuffed with any day of the week and twice on Sunday. :)

Strictly as a civilian concealed carry package? It’s far superior than lugging the wider G23 with a heavy full magazine of .40 ammo all day?

I got my first and favorite 1911 in .45 ACP. Not .40 or 9mm, I wanted the American Classic 1911 just as the late great Colonel Jeff Cooper taught us. :). Nothing else would do.

But if I ever have to strap on a duty belt ever again? I’ll blow the dust off of my G23 from its eternal resting place way back in the dark cold recesses of my gun safe. :)
If the OP would have said “which pistol do we like best?” I’d probably went 1911 in .45.
But he just asked if we like the .40 S&W?

Yes I do…. But I also like 9mm, .45 .357 Sig and we could all probably argue there is even a place for the .380, .32 and .22? Someplace? Somewhere? :)

Top Bottom