What's new

Vintage April, 2024

IMG_0589.jpeg

I know some will disagree*, but it was worth every penny, and looks fantastic.

*Some think it's best to leave vintage razors in their "found" condition and should only be cleaned. In this case, I agree with your decision to restore the razor.
I agree, it looks fantastic. I will be sending my first razors to BRG on Monday. Candidate 1 will be a 1941 Ranger Tech. Most of the razor is not too bad but one door is peeling so it has been sitting in the basement. I think this razor deserves some new life.
1713658739114.png

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thursday 20240418
Vintage April 2024
Razor: Gillette England Red Tip
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (5 shaves, 10 passes)

Friday 20240419
Vintage April 2024
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (6 shaves, 12 passes)

Saturday 20240420
Vintage April 2024
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (7 shaves, 14 passes)
20240420_133130~2.jpg

Brush: AP Shave Co White (AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: RazoRock The Stallion

Superb 2-pass shaves!

Additional notes are in My Journal.

Last edited:
All vintage, all wild caught... except, as per usual, the DE blade.

IMG_6192.jpeg

>1922 Gillette New Improved Bostonian in its odd elevator case
>Tiger carbon blade (2)

>Clauss 6/8 SR
>Illinois 8449 strop

>Solid Set boar
>vintage Williams Mug
>Burma-Shave mug

I have been steadily rehydrating the Williams puck. It is now a creamy dream, even with minimal loading.

IMG_6199.jpeg

I am not a carbon Tiger fan. In fact, I have been avoiding giving this blade a second chance for months.

I stropped it on the Illinois horsehide strop. One edge was poor, the other was tolerable and reasonably effective. Bye bye blade!

I know some will disagree*, but it was worth every penny, and looks fantastic.

*Some think it's best to leave vintage razors in their "found" condition and should only be cleaned. In this case, I agree with your decision to restore the razor.
Thanks. However others choose to keep their razors doesn't concern me that's their prerogative. For myself if they are still nice I usually leave them be, but if not then I think they deserve to be replated and restored. I think replating can only make them better, but that's just me.

21 April

Dawn Safety Razor • Feather
Ariana & Evans Lurch & Fester • Yaqi Ocean
IMG_20240420_094305643_HDR.jpg

"The World Shaves With The Dawn".

The Eclipse Red Ring's - presumably illegitimate - brother!

Produced around 1935-39, the Dawn Razor Company offered this almost perfect copy of the Red Ring head, albeit in 3-piece form and with bespoke narrow blade posts to take the proprietary Dawn blade. Being based in Sheffield as well, it's hard to believe that James Neill, the makers of the Eclipse, weren't at least aware of it's existence.

I used an adapted Feather this morning, and was rewarded with an easy, mild, smooth and comfortable Sunday morning shave. Not at all unlike an Eclipse Red Ring! As far as I'm concerned it loses nothing, in either performance or looks, to it's better known sibling.

I had WW2 jets on my mind for some reason. Gloster Meteor vs ME 262. I used to be totally obsessed by planes, until my girlfriend decided I needed to grow up. 😁

I any case this side track lead me to dig up the Gillette Rocket HD, I dont think I have used this one in over a year. While it's a very easy shaving device, I think it's a tad on the mild side. It's like a Tech... But perhaps even milder? It shaves perfectly ofcourse, good for those rushed shaving sessions. I like it, but maybe just not enough to keep it around.

Have a great Sunday!

Screenshot_20240421_112142.jpg

Sunday 21st of Vintage April….
Gillette English Red Tip
HWF Soap
Omega mini boar…the best face latherer
Gillette 7 O’Clock yellow
IMG_7015.jpeg
Absolutely tremendous Sunday shave….
is this better than the USA version….? I’m not sure but they are both excellent razors that can deliver the best results.
The English one I have is in better condition..very nice plating.
Loving these yellow blades…been outstanding in the 3 razors I’ve tried them in.

Date21.04.2024
366 daily shaves
112/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Aristocrat OC #15KCG China (2)Omega Proraso
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (94)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. An upper class shave with all upper class gear and software. A splendid start to Sunday.

Further shave notes can be found here.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom