What's new

Who Still Uses Williams Shaving Soap? What Have you Settled on as a Replacement? Thoughts on other Commercial Shaving Soaps as Alternatives?

Yep, I am one of those that started wet shaving with Williams and used it for many years. When the local stores no longer stocked it, I started ordering online and would get 25 at a time to save on shipping. I am glad I did as the demise of Williams took me by surprise. I still have a dozen pucks left so I still use Williams on a regular basis. As for a replacement, I really like DR Harris. As a cheap alternative, I like Arko. The other soaps I like are from Sterling. I never had any issues or complaints with Williams. I used boar and badger brushes for years but have switched to RazoRock synthetic brushes and find they will lather any of the soaps I use with no issues. I will admit, a stiff boar is faster to make a Williams or DR Harris lather but the synthetic gets there with a bit more time. I will admit that there are many soaps as good or better than Williams. Williams always worked for me and was cheap and I really liked the sent and the performance. For me, performance wise, Arko is a great substitute for Williams as long as I use enough product and add the water a little at a time while I face lather. Too much water with Arko and you get a foaming lather that dries out too fast. I have also found Captain's Choice and Clubman to be nice non tallow soaps that work well for me. Let me be clear, I would never pay the prices they are asking for Williams now. I will miss Williams when I finish my last puck but at least for now, there are many excellent substitutes. If you like Williams and have it, enjoy it while it lasts. If you don't like Williams, no problem, we won't all like the same things and that is what makes this a great time to be a wet shaver. We have many many choices at all price ranges. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I started using WMS when I started DE shaving in 2016. That was with a brush rotation of Omega 10049 and Semogue 830. As it was my first shaving soap, that's the one that guided my lathering technique and I've never had a problem with it. At $0.99usd/puck and available at dozens of stores around me, it was a natural.

Enough rumors kept going around about its cancellation that I made sure I always had a stock of 5-10 pucks on hand and when it finally did get discontinued, I made the rounds in my town and grabbed a few dozen more so I don't expect to run out any time soon. I've got a variety of good soaps in my stash to stretch out my supply of WMS so I figure my supply will outlast me.

As for substitutes, I also like PdP, WtP?, and Haslingers. Softer soaps I like would include Dr. Jon's (Yes, I know), Stirling and B&M.

I think I tried a puck of Williams a few years back. I don't recall being impressed, but it was the "new" formulation. I do remember the threads about "Williams isn't as good as it used to be."

I was in a Meijer yesterday on an errand and decided to check their shaving section. It was actually well-stocked, certainly better than Kroger or Walmart.

Picked up a three puck pack of Van Der Hagen Luxury Shave Soap, which I hadn't seen in any store for a long time. I remember liking this soap before I went into a mostly cream shaving regimen. But I'm getting back into soaps. These run at just shy of $4 a puck.

Yep, I am one of those that started wet shaving with Williams and used it for many years. When the local stores no longer stocked it, I started ordering online and would get 25 at a time to save on shipping. I am glad I did as the demise of Williams took me by surprise. I still have a dozen pucks left so I still use Williams on a regular basis. As for a replacement, I really like DR Harris. As a cheap alternative, I like Arko. The other soaps I like are from Sterling. I never had any issues or complaints with Williams. I used boar and badger brushes for years but have switched to RazoRock synthetic brushes and find they will lather any of the soaps I use with no issues. I will admit, a stiff boar is faster to make a Williams or DR Harris lather but the synthetic gets there with a bit more time. I will admit that there are many soaps as good or better than Williams. Williams always worked for me and was cheap and I really liked the sent and the performance. For me, performance wise, Arko is a great substitute for Williams as long as I use enough product and add the water a little at a time while I face lather. Too much water with Arko and you get a foaming lather that dries out too fast. I have also found Captain's Choice and Clubman to be nice non tallow soaps that work well for me. Let me be clear, I would never pay the prices they are asking for Williams now. I will miss Williams when I finish my last puck but at least for now, there are many excellent substitutes. If you like Williams and have it, enjoy it while it lasts. If you don't like Williams, no problem, we won't all like the same things and that is what makes this a great time to be a wet shaver. We have many many choices at all price ranges. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Well said! Really nice assessment.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve got a puck grated into a Frankensoap. Will probably do the same with the reserve puck I’ve stashed away…years down the road.

I’ve got a puck grated into a Frankensoap. Will probably do the same with the reserve puck I’ve stashed away…years down the road.
I've got 4-5 custom blended soap pucks with Williams as a core ingredient that I'll use up over the next couple of years. Core shaving performance of these blended pucks (lather ease, slickness and stability) is as good as any of my commercial blends for under $2 per puck.
Funny, when readily available at 99 cents a puck it was a natural to add it to my blends for its tallow based slickness. Now that it discontinued and appears to have a $20-$40 per puck market value I'll see if I can bring myself to grating a puck of my reserve versus using it as-is for nostalgia purposes.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m sorry, I am no longer engaging in discussions about the perceived qualities or faults of Williams.
Everything that can be said about Williams has been said about Williams many years and many times before.
In fact, I don’t recall any novel idea about Williams surfacing in the last 20 odd years.

If something was considered good 50 years ago that does not mean that it’s still acceptable today, or we would still be driving around in 43 hp Volkswagen Beetles without a/c.

View attachment 1832295

Of course, if someone wants to do just that (or shave with a shaving soap that harks back to these days), who am I to object? Just don’t tell me it’s the bee’s knees, please.

I do agree with you on one point though; if one can shave well with Williams one can shave with pretty much any shaving soap, but that in itself is a rather barmy excuse for using it - let alone pay an insane premium these days.

B.
I loved my beetle and I miss it still. Probably the most loved vehicle I've ever owned.
Curious as to who is still using Williams Shaving Soap regularly or as part of a rotation thanks to having reserve stock? For those that used to regularly shave with Williams and exhausted available supplies what have you settled on as a replacement soap? If you still have some how have your usage patterns changed due to limited availability? Great time to hear how folks adjusted now that we are 2+ years out from when Williams was discontinued. How do the soaps you use now compare to Williams?

I'll go first. I'm currently using a custom blend with roughly 30% Williams soap as part of my primary rotation. Prior to Williams being discontinued I rotated between straight Williams and my latest custom blend with occasional use of a few othe commercial soaps (Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF, original tallow version), Van Der Hagen Luxury and Proraso Red). Once Williams was discontinued I began to test other budget soaps including Razorock What-The-Puck (WTP) and Arko and found that both are excellent alternatives to Williams for a similar price per ounce of soap.

Later in 2022, when the British Pound collapsed, I acquired a number of other commercial soaps including Tabac (new formula), D.R. Harris Windsor and Cyril R. Salter and extra MWF tallow pucks. Also some LEA and Cyril R. Salter shaving creams. Now I enjoy the variety in my soap rotation with three primary soaps in open mugs (currently custom blend, Tabac and What-The-Puck) and the balance in sealed containers that are chosen from once or twice a week. Once I 3017 something to free up a container I plan to add straight Williams shaving soap back to my mix. Also have enough blended pucks for at least two years use at current consumption rates.

Suspect that the Williams discontinuation just accelerated a commercial soap exploration that was starting to happen anyway. For me the most enjoyable aspect of DE shaving is crafting my lather. My overall conclusions from my exploration to date are:

• Arko is the best overall substitute for Williams from a lathering ease and quality perspective at a similar price point when purchased in bulk (12 sticks)
  • Razorock What-The-Puck it the best Williams substitute for those who don't like the Arko scent for just a little more money when purchased on sale.
  • My other commercial soaps such as MWF, Tabac, D.R. Harris, Cyril R. Salter deliver similar quality core shaving performance (to Williams, my custom blend, Arko and WTP) with the added benefits (varies somewhat by product) of enhanced scent, a more luxurious creamy lather, and post shave feel offering reasonable value for the added costs if you prefer those benefits. Definitely well worth it for me as I was able to land these soaps at great prices such as under $6 for MWF.
  • The two brands of shaving cream also deliver similar quality lather to my best soaps though they need to be dialed in differently with a thicker lather with less relative water added. They are a bit more convenient as there is minimal loading time, just apply the cream dollop to my face and/or brush and face lather. Start with a dryer brush and add bits of water until my ideal lather is developed. The main benefit of my Cyril R. Salter Luxury Creams over the more budget priced LEA Professional are the added scents (Wild Rose and French Vetiver). Both creams deliver excellent core shaving performance.
I'll always include Williams, while I have it available, in some part of my rotation for its core shaving performance and nostalgia. That said my soap exporation journey has been enjoyable.

How have you adapted to the discontinuation of Williams? Are you just working through your inventory or have you found one or more replacements? Those of you across the pond feel free to chime in regarding the discontinued Palmolive shave sticks or any other mainstay product that is no longer available?

P.S. While on this topic I've found that Cyril R. Salter shaving soap is the best alternative to the now discontinued MWF. Same base as D.R. Harris at a great price.
I used it a lot in the 60's and 70's and it was fine. I have about half a puck of the new stuff still but I don't use it but a couple of times a year and that is just for the nostalgic scent. My everyday soap is now ARKO and will remain so.

I too used Williams mug soap for many years, and was taken by surprise when I found Amazon charging $42 (!) for a single puck. I rapidly figured out that Williams as a company no longer existed, and I would have to go elsewhere to shave my face.

Reading on this forum, I decided to try Arko shaving sticks. These work well, and this morning I tried a new wrinkle with them: when after about a week or so the stick gets short enough, I drop it into my shaving mug with enough hot water to cover it, and use it as if it were a Williams puck… That is, by massaging it with a wet shaving brush and then applying the resulting lather to my face.

Feels like old times! Plus, I love the scent of the Arko shaving soap. I know that others don't like its scent, but I find it just right.

Thanks for everyone on this form for helping me get out of a jam.

I too used Williams mug soap for many years, and was taken by surprise when I found Amazon charging $42 (!) for a single puck. I rapidly figured out that Williams as a company no longer existed, and I would have to go elsewhere to shave my face.

Reading on this forum, I decided to try Arko shaving sticks. These work well, and this morning I tried a new wrinkle with them: when after about a week or so the stick gets short enough, I drop it into my shaving mug with enough hot water to cover it, and use it as if it were a Williams puck… That is, by massaging it with a wet shaving brush and then applying the resulting lather to my face.

Feels like old times! Plus, I love the scent of the Arko shaving soap. I know that others don't like its scent, but I find it just right.

Thanks for everyone on this form for helping me get out of a jam.
Hi George, Welcome to B&B, I see you just joined less than an hour ago and this is your first post!

Many former Williams users have moved to Arko as it is the best available tallow based alternative at a similar price point. It makes excellent lather and like you I also enjoy the scent. Razorock What-the-Puck soaps (100 gram puck currently on sale at Italian Barber for $2.99 each) are another good alternative. These are hard non-tallow french milled pucks.

Arko sticks are not as hard as Williams. If warmed just a little you can mold them into a puck size (there is a video out there on this - link below). One can also put a stick in a zip lock bag and let it warm in hot water. Many of us just mold the sticks into a puck using body heat from our hands to improve malleability - this is my approach. You can also slice the sticks and just press the slices into your mug or bowl.

Regarding Williams it is not worth $42. Looked at Ebay and I suspect the pucks are selling for closer to $15 - $25, still way to much. One B&B member recently purchased 5 pucks for $20 each. Until it was discontinued over two years ago it was nice to have access to Williams at our local supermarket for 99 cents per puck. The soap works well and was great value at that price. I also liked to use it as an ingredient for some custom blends.

Let us know what else you use when shaving such as your razor(s), brush(es) and blades and how they work for you. Our forums also have lots of great ideas on how to optimize your shaves.

Link to video on molding an Arko Stick:

I purchased a few pucks of Williams mug. When I heard it was being discontinued.

But I have never shaved with it. Maybe one of these days I’ll give it a try.

I do the same with my Arko sticks.

When they get too short to rub on my face. It goes to the Old Spice mug to be finished off.

Like you @Lane101 I have Turkish shave sticks in my rotation Arko, Derby and Jikoryen.

Like the Razorock WTP soaps a lot

As well as Italian croaps like Vitos & Cella

Have a good supply of them to last me for years.

While I have more expensive shave soaps in my den. The 3 types seem to get the most use from me.

I purchased a few pucks of Williams mug. When I heard it was being discontinued.

But I have never shaved with it. Maybe one of these days I’ll give it a try.

I do the same with my Arko sticks.

When they get too short to rub on my face. It goes to the Old Spice mug to be finished off.

Like you @Lane101 I have Turkish shave sticks in my rotation Arko, Derby and Jikoryen.

Like the Razorock WTP soaps a lot

As well as Italian croaps like Vitos & Cella

Have a good supply of them to last me for years.

While I have more expensive shave soaps in my den. The 3 types seem to get the most use from me.
Our approaches to shaving soaps are very similar. I keep three primary rotation soaps in my open apothecary mugs with everything else in resealable containers rotating through the primary soaps until I 3017 them. For variety I'll pull out one of the sealed secondary soaps around once a week.

When you decide to try your Williams you will find that it is your hardest and driest puck. To lather it effectively I've found that a set boar works best to ensure enough soap is loaded. Loading takes about a minute. If sufficient product is loaded the soap works well. Many have had issues with weak Williams lather due to loading too briefly based on experience with softer artisan soaps.

I started with Williams in 1973. Took awhile to figure it out. It’s a thirsty soap that needs a lot of water and work. But it can produce fine lather.

In the 70’s it became hard to find in my area so I experimented with bath soap and learned I could make good lather with it. I never looked back. Fifty years later I enjoy excellent lather for free everyday. Give it a try.

I still have about half a puck of vintage ground up into a noble otter tub. I mostly just use it to break in brushes, as the performance never blew me away. Although I'll use it for an occasional shave here and there, especially when I'm only doing 2 passes.

I started with Williams in 1973. Took awhile to figure it out. It’s a thirsty soap that needs a lot of water and work. But it can produce fine lather.

In the 70’s it became hard to find in my area so I experimented with bath soap and learned I could make good lather with it. I never looked back. Fifty years later I enjoy excellent lather for free everyday. Give it a try.
Would you go back to Williams if it was suddenly available in your local area for a buck per puck or are you happier with your bath soap lather?

Top Bottom