What's new

Cigar boxes

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
When I worked at Tobacco Road Coffee & Smoke Shop (Nashville, TN) in the early 2000s I had a quite a few cigar boxes. The owner would always ask the employees to take them home. I tossed them all many years ago though. Just typing this makes me want a Camacho with a cup of black coffee. :)
Pick one up, and after the moving guys have all left and you're in your new place, have it, and a cuppa.
That's a great way to start great memories in a new place.

Plans for a guitar?
dave
There's at least one juggling routine that uses cigar boxes. It was invented by W.C. Fields when he was young because back then he could get them for free. Sometimes when he was young he'd be hired to perform at a church function and had to tell the minister that they were specially made for his act and had never actually contained cigars.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Good cigar boxes are one of the after-thrills of the box purchase. Some are designed as mini humidors as you smoke them up. But all the better ones live on long after the sticks have departed, performing some useful purpose.

I have stacks of rows of 8-5-8 boxes on the counter in my garage from many years of smoking them. Dozens and dozens of them. They are great for storage of all sorts of things, have held up for years, and look good doing so. I had so many at one point that I was giving them to my son for his storage needs.

All the wooden boxes for the other good sticks over the years have found various uses, if only to hold the boxes and supplies for the avocations. A big Padron box is under our bar, on little felt feet, and has the various cutters and lighters needed for smoking there and on the patio. Stacks of cigar boxes are in the various closets. One R&J Vintage box is full of Zippo lighters and inserts! Others might have parts for my other old lighters, or spare cigar and pipe tools in them, or extra cigar humidifier supplies. Nothing goes to waste here.

The cheaper machine sticks used to come in at least decent heavier cardboard boxes that could be used similarly. I have no idea what they are using nowadays. Maybe just paper.

But for what premium sticks are now selling for, I expect my next box of AFs or Padrons to have a brass lock and key on it!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
There's at least one juggling routine that uses cigar boxes. It was invented by W.C. Fields when he was young because back then he could get them for free. Sometimes when he was young he'd be hired to perform at a church function and had to tell the minister that they were specially made for his act and had never actually contained cigars.

You mean this one ...

I picked up a bunch of the nicer hinged boxes a while ago for free at a smoke shop and I use em to store all sorts of stuff. Now I only see boxes for sale, not only in tobacco shops but often in antique stores, for 10-15 bucks.

You mean this one ...
Yes. This time the link worked. Most people have never seen that footage and have no idea how good he was. I wonder if there's anybody today who could reproduce that routine without using trick photography or very clever editing.

Legion

Staff member
I found a nice old one in a thrift store the other day. I'm using it to store some chess pieces. The lady in the shop said it came in full of old costume jewellery.

IMG_8045.jpeg

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
There used to be some fancy tobacconists in Melbourne that sold them, and not too expensive either. Not sure if they are still there. I'd hit them up when I wanted to make one of these.

IMG_3100.jpeg

Top Bottom