What's new

As Anticipated: Speick Stick Formula Change for 2024

@Marco If a brushless cream is acceptable keep an eye out for Barbasol 1919. It's $4 for a tube locally for me. It only takes about a pea sized amount for a full shave, so a tube last forever. You have to rinse the razor with hot water though. I prefer a soap, but this is good stuff.
1713536617835.png

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@Marco If a brushless cream is acceptable keep an eye out for Barbasol 1919. It's $4 for a tube locally for me. It only takes about a pea sized amount for a full shave, so a tube last forever. You have to rinse the razor with hot water though. I prefer a soap, but this is good stuff.
View attachment 1832109
My friend, I desire something with brush. Also, I'm only bringing a small hand luggage with me and airport laws (at least here in Europe) do not allow liquids and creams over 100ml, hence the choice for hard soaps only.

My friend, I desire something with brush. Also, I'm only bringing a small hand luggage with me and airport laws (at least here in Europe) do not allow liquids and creams over 100ml, hence the choice for hard soaps only.
I understand. I think your best option is Pastuer's as already mentioned. I would look for a US artisan there. If I recall correctly you prefer harder vegan options. I'd suggest looking at Hendrixs Classic and Company. It's not as hard as a triple milled soap, but it is firmer than average. I would consider it the 2nd best soap in my collection and the best vegan option I've tried.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I understand. I think your best option is Pastuer's as already mentioned. I would look for a US artisan there. If I recall correctly you prefer harder vegan options. I'd suggest looking at Hendrixs Classic and Company. It's not as hard as a triple milled soap, but it is firmer than average. I would consider it the 2nd best soap in my collection and the best vegan option I've tried.
Yes, definitely tallow-free soaps only. Thank you for the suggestion!

Funny enough I was just yesterday in the mall and bought a Speick soap stick and an aftershave lotion. Turns out is the same as new formula as @Goblin posted.

Wasn't aware that there is a second vegan formula.
So I checked what Speick soaps I have around and I have the Tallow version, a vegan formula (sadly no packaging) and the new vegan formula.

Notice the difference in color of the soaps, also of the wraps..

Tallow, Vegan v1?, Vegan 2024 (from left to right)
View attachment 1831100

In any case the (initial) vegan version was just as good as the tallow one. In a blind test I don't think I would distinguish them.

I plan to use the new 2024 version in my next shave and report back 🙂

The fresh soap I just bought does surely smell wonderful though. Just lovely.
So,

Had a shave this morning and for me it seemed similar, although a bit different.
For a start the soap itself seems harder, so when rubbing on the face I might have ended up with less soap than normal. And when lathering up I remember the old versions were a bit slicker and creamier??
Also noted that the scent was stronger, maybe due to being new.

In any case the soap was good and I only tried it once to draw any definitive conclusion. So no reason for concern about the new version.

Interesting. I have a veg stick from last year that has a dark colour, similar to the one on the far right of your pic
Funny enough I was just yesterday in the mall and bought a Speick soap stick and an aftershave lotion. Turns out is the same as new formula as @Goblin posted.

Wasn't aware that there is a second vegan formula.
So I checked what Speick soaps I have around and I have the Tallow version, a vegan formula (sadly no packaging) and the new vegan formula.

Notice the difference in color of the soaps, also of the wraps..

Tallow, Vegan v1?, Vegan 2024 (from left to right)
View attachment 1831100

In any case the (initial) vegan version was just as good as the tallow one. In a blind test I don't think I would distinguish them.

I plan to use the new 2024 version in my next shave and report back 🙂

The fresh soap I just bought does surely smell wonderful though. Just lovely.

It sounds like Speick's newer reformulation is also a great one, I know people saw the first one as a 1:1 soap compared to the tallow version, and glad to hear that it's still the case.

I got in my first Speick and it is the most recent formula. The scent is definitely better than Tabac, La Toja, or Arko. I think I prefer the more subtle/neutral scent of the unfortunately discontinued Palmolive. Speick has a herbal, peppery, slight mint scent to me. It seems like it took a little more work to get a lather, but the performance was quite good and my skin feels better than with the previously mentioned sticks.

1713897876604.png

New York has several shops which offer a good selection of shaving gear. Once out of the city you will not find much except Cremo brushless creams. I see that almost everywhere - grocery stores, pharmacies, etc… Shaving sticks are almost as common as unicorns in my neck of the woods. I think you are wise to bring a cache of your gear with you. I would also think carefully about your razor selection. From what I hear the TSA is not a friend of DE razors.
I hope you enjoy your visit.

...Speick has a herbal, peppery, slight mint scent to me. It seems like it took a little more work to get a lather, but the performance was quite good and my skin feels better than with the previously mentioned sticks.

The scent is made with essential oil from lavender plus the speick plant (alpine valerian or alpine spikenard) that traditionally has some healing properties.

1713905711722.png

The Speick company has always had a focus on good skin care.

Last edited:
The C.O. Bigelow chemist is another option. If I remember correctly, they get their shaving cream from the same manufacturer as Proraso. Their website might provide an idea of their inventory.
You can also find Proraso in most Macy's...

Top Bottom