Vintage April, 2024

45808DCC-68A0-4445-9E7E-AB385BE3232E.jpeg

Fat boy razor/Shark Platinum blade
Lea aftershave/Lea tallow stick V2014
Omega 10098 boar brush

19 April

Gibbs Micro Réglable (ref.9) • Perma-Sharp
Wickham 1912 Magnum • RazoRock Plissoft

This late 60s/early 70s Gibbs adjustable - taking regular blades unlike the earlier models - weighs in at a surprisingly hefty 86 grams. It's supremely efficient at the higher settings - I use it at a maximum 6 for the first pass and then 5 for whatever is left after (which isn't much!).

Absolutely gorgeous close, comfortable, smooth shave this morning.
1713511116234.gif

Fourth shave with the Gillette Slim and second on setting 7. Shave was good but I over-hydrated the lather and it wasn’t as slick as usual. Still, no irritation post-shave so I have to give credit to the razor for being effective yet easy on the skin. Moving up to setting 9 for the next shave. Very impressed by the Slim.

1D897D49-7E4B-471E-A1A6-B31B1B63F6F3.jpeg

Absolutely Guido my friend!

Odd that I picked the SC before I saw your interesting post. I do not always believe in coincidence.

I think it is an offshoot of quantam physics. An insane thing, yet it grows in study by the day. Both infinite parallel universes are now accepted and also the idea of infinite outcomes for us. Theoritically are trillions of Guidos and Simons all interacting differently in trillions of alternative universes. (the creater obviously has a strong sense of humour) and maybe there is the key to telepathy also in there.

Niels Bohr the famous Danish Jewish physicist asked Einstein in the 1920's to work with him on the early stages of quantum mechanics. Einstein said no, because it "gave him the creeps"!

We have much to learn.

If there are infinite parallel universes that means there is at least one where you only use modern razors and never vintage. I’m no physicist, but that sounds crazy! (It also means there is a version of me out there writing that Alum Ladd only using vintage razors sounds equally crazy. I love physics but I’m bad at math.)

Friday the 19th of Vintage April…..
Been some absolute hen’s teeth on this thread…I would actually pay an entry fee to see barn_iom’s den.
Today’s set up for me…..
59 Gillette adjustable
Omega Jade boar
HWF soap….love this more every time I use it
Proraso pre shave cream
7 O’Clock yellow sharp edge blade

IMG_6996.jpeg
I confess to not using the ‘59 adjustable that often. I should use it more frequently….excellent results today. I think the 7 O’Clock blade was outstanding in this razor. Smooth, close, minimal irritation. Used setting 7 and 5
Pre shave seemed to squeeze a bit more out of the set up resulting in a full on 10/10 DFS+++. One of the all time classic razors for good reason. Gillette should re release it but would probably cost a fortune.

Covering Vintage and Adjustable April with a Gillette Slim, Astra sp, Opal Boar and Tabac soap. This is one of the razors that came in the lot I picked up this week and I noticed last night that is my mother's birth year which is one I didn't have yet. So why not give it a cleaning and use it for todays shave.
1713528942027.png

Fifth April shave and I broke out the vintage Clubman with an Aristocrat.

Stirling’s Barbershop is such a great scent, is a fair enough pairing for Clubman, though completely different scents.

I need to grab a soap that pairs better because I typically only wear Clubman on non-shave days.

A fine day to you Gentlemen.

1713540468947.jpeg

Razor - Flat Bottom Tech
Blade - Gillette Spoiler (3)
Brush - Simpson Chubby 2 / Super Badger
Soap - Ariana & Evans Asian Plum
After Shave - B&M Passiflora
After Shave Balm - Hada Labo Gokujun Premium
Fragrance - Dior Eau Sauvage

A rushed two pass shave.

No picture today
:facep:

20240418_090010.jpg

Razor: Wilkinson Bonded Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Bonded Single Edge Cartridge
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Forest City Fern
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm

19/4/24

Soap - Signature Soaps Capra
Brush - Yaqi G4 20mm
Razor - Souplex Bakelite
Blade - Gillette Nacet Stainless (2)
Post - Alum
AS - Williams Aqua Velva

I've not used my Souplex Bakelite razor for a while. It's on the mild side of things, but works well with a sharp blade like the Nacet. Very enjoyable shave from the start to the finish.

IMG20240419163719.jpg

Razor: English Gillette Aristocrat Junior No.48 c.1948
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Wilko Synthetic 'The Special one'
Cream: Proraso Blue
AS Balm: Nivea Protect And Care

IMG_20240419_174716266.jpg

Brought out the rather uncommon No.48 tonight. The first Aristocrat Junior. A muscular, rather growly shaver, completely atypical of any other vintage non adjustable TTO I have experienced.

I covered it in more detail in a dedicated thread here The English Aristocrat Junior No.48. A Forgotten Masterpiece - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-english-aristocrat-junior-no-48-a-forgotten-masterpiece.648680/

I have been learning to use it to it's best advantage since I got it, and it rewards with wonderful results. Superbly efficient, slightly unforgiving with a very un-Gillette like aggressiveness but a sheer joy to use.

Got an excellent 2 pass shave which completely goes against my usual intense 3 pass OCD obsession. This razor seems to be able to exorcise my mental demons in that respect. A WTG and a kind of hybrid ATG/XTG second pass achieves SSF. My only screw up was chickening out on an ATG on upper lip. I was in a hurry to go out and this razor really isn't a hurry up razor.

An absolute beauty from the Gillette England factory and design bureau of 1948 which were creating some timeless classics.

If you ever see one, just grab it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom