What's new

Lesson learned - magnification is important!

Just a PSA and reminder especially to those who are new to razor honing ... magnification is very important to have a full feedback loop while honing.

-----

I've seen it said a few times that an optical loupe 10x-20x is enough while honing. This must be true for more experienced honers, and I kind of fell into the trap believing that it's okay for me too as I have honed a fair few razors successfully.

NOPE! I checked a couple of razors in my shaving rotation that were just slightly irritating even though they are HHT4-5 - the edges looked excellent under 20x loupe, but at 60x under my Carson Microbrite, I could see micro chips.

If I'm regrinding a bevel i.e. major repairs, higher magnification helps me find places I haven't ground through sharpie marks completely.

I totally agree with comments about LED being a rubbish light source for assessing bevel polish, but it definitely has uses in other areas. Sharpie marks, Apex flatness/chips, etc. Basically big mechanical issues. High mag is really nice for that.

Also helpful for edge-on views. A higher powered way to see reflections along the apex.

I've seen it said a few times that an optical loupe 10x-20x is enough while honing. This must be true for more experienced honers, and I kind of fell into the trap believing that it's okay for me too as I have honed a fair few razors successfully.
This is exactly right and I fell into the same trap. After looking at enough edges through both a microscope and loupe (10x Belimo in my case) you’ll learn what to look for in the loupe. Eventually with the loupe you will see tiny little imperfections in the edge, and know exactly what they will look like under higher magnification.

Until you get to that point it’s best to use both the loupe and higher magnification.

Yea… the guys that tell you, “You don’t need more magnification than a 10 or 20X”, already know how to hone and probably don’t need any magnification. They, don’t need more.

YOU, you need what you need.

You cannot fix what you cannot see. More magnification will show you where your edges are not meeting FULLY. Then you work on those areas and or change your technique so, the edges are fully honed, and you learn what to look for and what works and what does not.

Imagine learning how to shoot, and you only get to see the bullseye.

Yes, you can go down the rabbit hole of mega magnification and chase the “perfect” edge.

But isn’t that what this forum is all about?

Top Bottom