What's new

Shaving brush made from coconut fibre

3847507.JPG

4182534.JPG

I was looking for shaving related items on various museum collections, and ran across this brush in the Australian war memorial. It is a “shaving brush made in Changi Prisoner of War camp” during WW2, made from coconut fibre. It doesn’t look the most comfortable to use, and probably wouldn’t last long, and definitely a product of it’s time and place. Given how it seems a lot of shaving products are moving away from animal products (I don't mind animal products but I'm not judging peoples preferences either way), but I’ve also seen a desire for less plastics, something like this is food for thought. I figured it was interesting enough to share. Would you try out a brush like this?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Only if at least 10 members on here tested it first and gave the thumbs up, I don't think I'd take one for the team on this item.

That would be a viable alternative to petroleum based synthetic brushes. That would toughen up your skin in no time. Forget razor burn. You’re going to have brush burn.

I've seen similar brushes from plant fibre advertised.
No idea what they'd be like. Sellers say they're not the softest brushes!

I've seen similar brushes from plant fibre advertised.
No idea what they'd be like. Sellers say they're not the softest brushes!
Shaving brushes or other purpose brushes? I've seen them for scrubbing cast iron pans. I presume there are various grades you can get though, not all that stiff. In the same collection in the museum they also had toothbrushes, so I presume those are soft enough to not be unusable.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
View attachment 1831423
View attachment 1831424

I was looking for shaving related items on various museum collections, and ran across this brush in the Australian war memorial. It is a “shaving brush made in Changi Prisoner of War camp” during WW2, made from coconut fibre. It doesn’t look the most comfortable to use, and probably wouldn’t last long, and definitely a product of it’s time and place. Given how it seems a lot of shaving products are moving away from animal products (I don't mind animal products but I'm not judging peoples preferences either way), but I’ve also seen a desire for less plastics, something like this is food for thought. I figured it was interesting enough to share. Would you try out a brush like this?
Very interesting. When you consider the terrible conditions that must have been endured in camps such as Changi, it tells you something about the calibre of the person who would make such a brush. You would need steely determination to maintain standards of hygiene and grooming in the face of such adversity. Maybe doing so helped them to retain their humanity and not to give up hope, I do not know, but I take my hat off to them.

Very interesting. When you consider the terrible conditions that must have been endured in camps such as Changi, it tells you something about the calibre of the person who would make such a brush. You would need steely determination to maintain standards of hygiene and grooming in the face of such adversity. Maybe doing so helped them to retain their humanity and not to give up hope, I do not know, but I take my hat off to them.
Definitely a lot of hardship, I'm not trying to make light of that. These where made in a factory with POWs used as labor. From the museum page: "The camp had its own brush factory which turned out 30,000 brushes, from toothbrushes to nail and shaving brushes, during the time it was in operation". They also had a soap factory.

Top Bottom