(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4.5/10 (Sharpish)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8/10
(DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Comforting and easy shave this morning as we kick off another week. Enjoy everyone!

Razor and blade. New blade this week. I have seen the razor emerge in the Vintage April thread quitea number of times and it’s an excellent razor for sure. Smooth, comfortable yet effective. I believe this one shares the head design with the 1948 Gillette Aristocrat. I have used this blade once before and was able to get double digits with it even though I also used it for intermediate head shaves (nowadays I use injectors or GEMs for that) so this first shave was a breeze. Manufactured by Lord, but the tuck seems to mention another producer. The blade has been around for some time and I have seen references been made to the Star razor as well. Anyway great first performance - it was advertised as “the blade your face can’t feel”. It is smooth and comfortable. Sharpness is below that of the Cool on this first run. But it could also be the razor as this is in the milder category for me.

Brush and lather. I pulled out the Mühle brush because I haven’t frequented Mühle Mondays lately. Very nice brush and a splendid face lather today. This month will see Mike’s going into 100s.

Technique. All good and doing what works best.

Date16.04.2024
366 daily shaves
107/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW LCSilver Star (2)Abe’s Brush Works Big Boy G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (89)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
8.25/10
(DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Nice and comfortable shave this morning. No frills no issues.

Razor and blade. I initially bought this razor for its common bar handle thinking I would use it for my Razorine Flatboy, but I actually was curious about the razor too and that first shave made me decide to keep it together as a whole. It is a wonderfully smooth shaver with good effectiveness without ever becoming untamed or wild. I have reported before that I actually think this LC is smoother and more comfortable than my NEW FB. The blade is a solid performer this second shave. While I have the impression that all the blades I have used lately are on the milder side (judging by the smoothness of my skin post shave) I do think these are very capable of doing the job free from irritation as was the case today.

Brush and lather. I used my Big Boy G5C by @apshaveco for the knot and my dad Abe for the handle. Magnificent brush with a great handle providing solid grip while the knot is build for nice lathering. Almost badger like. Very impressive. Mike’s continues to perform. I do note that post shave Mike’s tends to be more dry / tight on my skin (opposite to Tabarko for example). Just an observation. It is an excellent soap with a wonderful scent.

Technique. Steady as she goes. Good consistency bringing great results. Completely in a happy place.

Had the most interesting conversation with the LOTH the other day. This weekend we are visiting a Vintage Fair that visits our town twice a year. It’s a big one in multiple halls and I scored a Rocket and Single Ring last year if you recall. But there is obviously much more to see than just razors (in fact you have to search razors with a looking glass but ok). So I mentioned I am looking forward to the Fair and that I am already hoping to find nothing as I am in GRUYERE, right? And acting as its leader even. You know what she replied? “So you drop out? Big deal. If you see something you like, why not just buy it?” But I will the laughing stock of the forum I retorted. Her response: “You mean to say you aren’t already??”

Not sure if she is taking the Mickey with me or that she’s actually supportive of my hobby obsession. Whatever it is, I think Saturday will be a fun day!!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Of course, there have be some loopholes, don't there? Couldn't she buy the razor and gift it to you? Or wait, and gift it to you in January?

I'm not a GRUME aficionado, to be sure...but most rules have ways around them...... We lived very near a large Amish community in PA years ago.... I found it ironic and slightly humorous, seeing a combine set on metal wheels, being pulled by a mule team...

Of course, there have be some loopholes, don't there?
There are Kim. Gifting is perfectly fine as long as there is no hinting. But walking in a fair together and one buying a gift for the other - it’s not abstinence. At least not in my book.

And quite frankly - if a special one pops up I might forego on the wager. Good conditioned vintage razors are less common spread in these parts unless you want an aluminium spiral Tech. The Netherlands is a stronghold of Gillettes cart market. Almost nothing else for sale here except the occasional Wilkinson. And of course your disposables. Not to mention the heritage from Phillips so a Philishave is as common as riding a bicycle here (for the non Dutch readers: we have an average of 1.3 bicycles per citizen).

There might be an Aristocrat laying around if the guy from November is there again. I am not in the market for that one, but I know brothers who are. Buying for someone else is totally ok of course. So I think I should be good unless or until I bump into a Double Ring which I think is very unlikely.

Date17.04.2024
366 daily shaves
108/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW SCSilver Star (3)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (90)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
8.25/10
(DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. A very fine and close shave with the Short Comb. Marvellous lather using Andrew’s @apshaveco Synbad knot.

Razor and blade. The Short Comb is less prevalent than the Long Comb, but absolutely a wonderful razor. Gillette never called a short comb - collectors did - but the design is clever enough. The teeth are more pronounced than with the LC and I find them smoother in feel yet. Because of the shorter combs (and in my view more traditionally aligned with what we would call an open comb compared to the LC which looks more like a garden rake in that sense) I believe it shaves closer or at least more effective. Third run with the Silver Star and nothing worthy of mentioning. Simply a good performance this third run. Combination with the SC seems to be working as well.

Brush and lather. The Synbad knot is one of my more floppy knots and perhaps the most floppy even. Very little backbone and I was slightly taken back by that the first time I used it. It has grown on me to be honest and I like the softness reminiscent of the Plissoft brushes I adore. Lather was again fantastic as it has been this entire month so far.

Technique. Consistency ruled again and the nimble nature of the SC makes it even easier maintaining consistent patterning.

Date18.04.2024
366 daily shaves
109/366

RazorBladeBrush
Matador DeluxeSilver Star (4)Abe’s Brush Works Big Boy G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (91)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
8.25/10
(DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. A nice relaxing shave with one of my more effective razors. Flying under the radar at times, but the Matador Deluxe is a gem in disguise.

Razor and blade. Blade going on 4, but still good performance I would say. Or at least adequate. Not sure where it is relative to the others. I have a faint rash on my lower lip that seems to be tied with certain blades, but it could also be my bias in searching for a reason. I think it has more comfort than the Lord Cool and likely because it is a little behind in sharpness. The razor is magnificent. Matadors are less easy to come by (similar to the even less easy to get Swing) and hence they are a little unknown, but they shave like a dream. Mine is a little uneven in blade exposure due to a small dent in one of the safety bars, but I barely notice during the shave. Maybe I need to find a better one and replace it.

Brush and lather. The G5C knot is not pillowsoft like Plissoft but a very fine knot to be working with this morning. Excellent lather maker. Nice gentle scrub.

Technique. All good. There is a milder side to my Matador and a slightly harsher side, but the razor just planed over and took no prisoners.

Last edited:
Date19.04.2024
366 daily shaves
110/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Single RingSilver Star (5)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (92)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
8.25/10
(DFS++)
7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Effective Friday shave using one of my oldest razors. Very capable of a close shave. All other actors were playing in unison.

Razor and blade. Although I have experienced double digits with this blade, the current one will be binned without remorse. It’s comfortable enough and it shaves, but it lacks sharpness for a wonderful shave. And because of that lacking sharpness I need to be alert to overshaving or increasing pressure. The razor was phenomenal. The teeth look like absolute rakes but during the shave they turn into smoothness guiding the lather for a nice glide.

Brush and lather. Just excellent. This SilkSmoke knot is closest to my beloved Plissoft brushes. Lather was comforting and familiar (which one would expect as we are about to approach 100 shaves and counting).

Technique. I thought I would mix things up a little so did WTG using N-S strokes with follow through on the neck as if it was one stroke. Definitely less effective in the neck. Cheeks are more or less in sync with usual results. No, sticking to the beard growth direction appears to still be the best way or best guaranteed way to great results.

Date20.04.2024
366 daily shaves
111/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette US Tech prewarKCG China (1)Omega Proraso
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (93)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
6/10 (Cut)4.5/10 (Sharpish)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. A joy using my prewar Tech. Never stops to be fun. The Chinese KCG blade is quite a nice blade. Definitely smooth and sharp.

Razor and blade. I binged the Silver Star early. Maybe it’s not the blade’s fault at all but the rash below my lower lip isn’t getting better either and I think I have had this before with other stainless blades that just were below par. So I switched to a blade I am curious about: a Chinese KCG. Now KCG is my favourite blade next to Dorco Titan and the one I shaved the most with as they came with my KCG razor and I stocked up in bulk after that. The Chinese version looks cheaper with the monograph printed rather than laser edged. Glue blobs are less (talking about glue blobs the over on the Silver Star were super annoying:incazzato) though. Would the edge be any different and would the shave be different? I haven’t used a KCG in a while so I need to factor that in, but this blade is miles ahead of the ones I have been using recently. The razor is fine in and of itself. Superb is another easy of saying it. The Tech has its own rabbit hole.

Brush and lather. My second brush ever and the one boar that keeps hogging even after all this time. But I like using it. It’s big and when wet super soft. I let it soak in a small amount of water over night. Wonderful lather with the boar and Mike working as a tight unit.

Technique. Back to my regular routine. Cut myself - and absolutely no idea how and what happened.

Other news. We went to the Vintage Fair and I came across a Gillette stand loaded with vintage Gillettes, Schicks, GEMs, you name it. I saw a box with loose razors - two caught my attention: mint condition British Flare Tip and an Aristocrat Jr. and the stand owner said €5 a piece. I held them in my hand looked some more and then the real stand owner appeared (there were two of them) and he told me they were €25 a piece. I told him his buddy said €5 - and he didn’t winch or budge, not even to meet me in the middle or acknowledge his buddy’s status. So I walked away. Not worthy of my business. Or I should have sealed the deal straight away when the first guy named his price. I didn’t and all is good - I have plenty of funware as it is.

Lots of people like that out there. Would rather hold onto their stuff than actually sell it and make, at the least, a smaller profit...but a profit nonetheless. They may change their minds later after the stuff sits there longer.
If he would just have acknowledge the screw up and even told me he needed to make some money - I might have given him the benefit of the doubt.

Date21.04.2024
366 daily shaves
112/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Aristocrat OC #15KCG China (2)Omega Proraso
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (94)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. An upper class shave with all upper class gear and software. A splendid start to Sunday.

Razor and blade. I missed out on an Aristocrat Junior yesterday, but actually I didn’t of course as I already have an excellent Aristocrat and today I used my OC one for a fantastic Sunday shave. After using it for some time I concluded this was a (very) mild razor, but today that definitely wasn´t so. Good amount of blade feel, effective yet smooth, after XTG at DFS levels. The KCG MIC (@Jay21 for the abbreviation) is very ok in my book. I think it’s close to the original, including the ridiculous pricing as far as I can tell. Luckily I took advantage of a couple of sales early in my shave career. Little did I know that these blades can last up to 30 shaves (and possibly beyond) rather than the 7 days I used them for. Anyway, I did feel the KCG MIC to be slightly more bitey - random that is. I cannot remember the MIR blades being like that. I also have the idea that stubble returns more quickly with the MIC as opposed to the MIR blades - but I could be reading into things.

Brush and lather. I used my Beehive today to stand by my man Andrew @Balin - my heart and thoughts are with you in these emotional and difficult times. The Beehive is an amazing brush, potentially even more amazing than my RR400. Andrew is making me question my most favoured brush of all time! What is happening to me?!

Technique. Steady we went. Pattern is really working well. And as I mentioned the razor felt effective and smooth. A step up from previous shaves and I am very happy about that, remembering I was a bit disappointed at first when it turned out to be so mild.

Date22.04.2024
366 daily shaves
113/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette UK Aristocrat SB #15KCG China (3)Razorock Big Bruce
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (95)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.5/10 (Tiny spots)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Superb shave using excellent gear. Absolutely loved it.

Razor and blade. KCG MIC on 3 and performance is constant. Nice blade so far confirming that my skin and I like platinum coated blades. In my view anything is better for my skin than a purely stainless blade. It is somewhat different from the original. At least I think so. It’s less predictable in behaviour - tiny red spots emerge where I think or believe that the original is sharper preventing that from happening (sounds counterintuitive I know, but I think the edge on the original is cleaner/more balanced). But definitely worth having. Just a good blade. The razor was found in the wild around this time last year I believe. Some TLC in cleaning it up and out came a wonderfully conditioned razor that shaves like a dream. I personally believe this razor to be more effective than the OC I used yesterday. Decent blade feel while still smooth. Pairings with this blade is also a good fit.

Brush and lather. Another @Balin brush to send love and support across to Canada. Lather was perfect as it had been for 50 shaves already. Just wonderful.

Technique. Repetition is the mother of skill, but Jay @Jay21 mentioned in his journal he tried the Gillette Slide the other day. That triggered muscle memory for me and so I decided to give the Slide another go during WTG on face and neck. XTG was my usual Gillette Slant moved horizontally. DFS+ in most areas and I could have stopped there, but I like smooth-as-can-be so I used ATG to bring home the bacon. I noticed my ATG serving more of a large touch up pass. Final touch up on the neck to attack the trouble spots (no matter what I do or use, that pass is always necessary) and smoothness emerged. Fantastic shave!

Slide?...I'll give ya a "Canadian Slide" that can be used up to 8 months a year depending where you live.
giphy-17.gif

Top Bottom