What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I was really really disappointed when I warmed this up in the mahogany base and popped it out to see a
9 5/8 x 1 3/4 x 3/4 natural yellow stone…figured it was just another PDSO.
IMG_0182.jpeg
IMG_0183.jpeg

BUT then I flipped it over and saw some black splotches, and after I cleaned it up…it appears to be just a big slab of coticule with no BBW backing.

IMG_0184.jpeg
IMG_0185.jpeg

I guess I’ll keep it…at least to try anyhow.

You may have lost at some point the shale piece, which, on that particular stone, was glued on. Here is the type where the two stones are naturally joined. This is a La Latneuses I believe. Note wavy join line. Harder than my coticule of the La Veinette sort.

Attachments

• Bigger cot shale.JPG
    Bigger cot shale.JPG
    584.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Bigger cot face.JPG
    Bigger cot face.JPG
    654.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Bigger cot edge_1087.JPG
    Bigger cot edge_1087.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 21
You may have lost at some point the shale piece, which, on that particular stone, was glued on. Here is the type where the two stones are naturally joined. This is a La Latneuses I believe. Note wavy join line. Harder than my coticule of the La Veinette sort.
That’s a beautiful coticule!

I suspect that this stone never had a glued on BBW. It came glued down in a very very old mahogany box.

Looks thick enough it wouldn’t have needed a backing.
Yes Sir! I wouldn’t want to drop it but at .75 inches I am not too concerned. I have one other that I believe never had backing, but it isn’t nearly as big as this one. I haven’t seen one this size with no BBW.

Reactions: Wid

Legion

Staff member
Yes Sir! I wouldn’t want to drop it but at .75 inches I am not too concerned. I have one other that I believe never had backing, but it isn’t nearly as big as this one. I haven’t seen one this size with no BBW.
I have one in an old mahogany (I think) box with no backing. My stone predates it’s box, as it has a hole for suspension.

I'll be honest... 9"+, I'd PROBABLY prefer a PDSO, personally; but at least it's a pretty coti.

I do love those vintage unbacked coticules... My favorites are the brown waxy ones that are almost Novaculite they're so hard... but can't complain about a speckled manganese beauty either.

Top Bottom