What's new

Need critique on my next order of soaps

I will be ordering a few soaps on Maggard and need some critique on items in my shopping cart.

My intent is to expand further the scent collection I already have and also to try offerings from other soap makers. I have come to realize that I really enjoy fragrances in my soaps, simple or otherwise, as I don't wear any in everyday life.

Moving along, these are the ones I have narrowed down to:

Declaration Grooming Cygnus-X1
Declaration Grooming Tribute
House of Mammoth Indigo
Southern Witchcraft Necromantic
Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto
Barrister and Mann Marilyn
WSP Gaelic Tweed

What I already have:

Abbate y La Mantia Buttero
MDC Rose
MDC Original
Noble Otter King
Noble Otter Logbook
SV Artic Tundra
SV Morado
P&B Spitfire
P&B Bay Rum
PAA Plum Oriental
Lainess Miel (honey)

Thank you all in advance!

Going by soap bases alone (since I don't know any of those scents)...House of Mammoth and Barrister and Mann.

I am unsure of the Southern Witchcraft and Wholly Kaw.

Purely from a base standpoint, do you think I can do without these two?

What I already have:

MDC Rose
MDC Original
Noble Otter King
Noble Otter Logbook
SV Artic Tundra
SV Morado
P&B Spitfire
P&B Bay Rum
PAA Plum Oriental
Lainess Miel (honey)

Thank you all in advance!

I'm curious to know what are your top & bottom 3 of what you already own.

The of soaps you want to purchase are all great bases. Are these samples or full tubs? I’d recommend buying samples until you determine what your favorites are.

I would be buying one soap of every top tier base like Arianna and Evans K2E or ULTIMA,B&M omnibus,grooming dept ''aion''kairos SE,Gentlemans nod cardinal 4+,declaration grooming milksteak,CK6,MacDuffs V4,House of Mammoth,zingari man sego

I am unsure of the Southern Witchcraft and Wholly Kaw.

Purely from a base standpoint, do you think I can do without these two?
I haven't tried SW, but the sample of Wholly Kaw I had (Monaco Royale) was very good and their siero base is supposed to be even better. Had one of the best post-shave feels of any of the ones I tried.
So, I'd say you should at least try WK...

The of soaps you want to purchase are all great bases. Are these samples or full tubs? I’d recommend buying samples until you determine what your favorites are.
Almost all of those are available as samples via maggards, of you'd like to try them all.

These will be full tubs. A blind buy. Hence, the post to get some informed critic and opinions.

I wished I could go ahead with samples. Unfortunately, living in the land Down Under shipping cost will hurt just as bad either way. So paying high shipping cost for samples isn't worthwhile.

I'm curious to know what are your top & bottom 3 of what you already own.

Good question. I really like them all. The soaps that tops the rankings will be different depending on whichever day you ask. I will break them down as below.

Top 3 Scents (today)
MDC Rose
P&B Spitfire
Noble Otter Logbook

Bottom 3 Scents (today)
MDC Original
Lainess Miel

In terms of pure performance I would say that Abbate Y La Mantia is the best of the lot and we are pulling straws here. They are all great. However, I would say PAA CK6 is the least well performing soap I have.

These will be full tubs. A blind buy. Hence, the post to get some informed critic and opinions.

I wished I could go ahead with samples. Unfortunately, living in the land Down Under shipping cost will hurt just as bad either way. So paying high shipping cost for samples isn't worthwhile.
In that case, I'd recommend Barrister and Mann and Southern Witchcrafts. All the brands you listed are, at least, very good

Declaration Grooming is fantastic if you like very soft soaps (pretty much a cream)..but every single one of those is a good soap.

I’d be wary of Southern Witchcrafts but only because their scents are a bit unconventional. SW is very much a love-hate kind of thing with no middle ground. Certainly nothing as straight forward as MdC Rose (pure floral) or NO Logbook (inoffensive cologne).

But, if you’re looking for something unique that you may love (or hate), SW is a great way to gamble.

This is an old thread but I wanted to remark on the apparent difficulty of finding verbena soaps, like TI and Abbate y La Mantia. Everyone is sold out. I recently bought what appears to be one of the last cakes of Abbate from Maggardand can't find my favorite TI Verbena anywhere. Any ideas on why these are getting so hard to find? I see l'Occitane has some verbena on Zon but in little cakes that are quite expensive.

Southern witchcrafts is one of the best soft vegan bases only crown & crane came close. Scents can be hit or miss. Personally the only ones I really didn't like were too floral. Boonana is awesome imo 🍌 Surprised no A&E plenty of simple and complex scents.

Top Bottom