What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was going to ask you about the work issues the other day but thought better of it.... If it hadn't sorted itself out.. or if you hadn't found an adequate or better solution, I was concerned I'd be throwing gasoline on the fire.

I'm relieved to read you figured out a way to survive it, at least.

Thank you, Kim.

It might not be a very good solution, but it is a huge relief to have something in place to at least avoid disaster.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday.

4-4-24.Elite.Mike's.C&H:Mozingo.640.JPG

I managed to cut myself four or five times this morning with a razor I know well. How? IDK.

Willy's (4), flipped. Cube/Tube. Mysterium Serum.

Maybe I'm just clumsy today? It was otherwise a very good shave, and none of the little cuts were significant or even painful.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Thursday.

View attachment 1823428

I managed to cut myself four or five times this morning with a razor I know well. How? IDK.

Willy's (4), flipped. Cube/Tube. Mysterium Serum.

Maybe I'm just clumsy today? It was otherwise a very good shave, and none of the little cuts were significant or even painful.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Heal up quickly, Jim.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday. Very good shave.

4-5-24.SuperSlant.L1+.Mike's.RedDragon.640.JPG

Willy's (5), flipped. Cube/Tube. Mysterium Serum.

This was my very first use of this new brush, a Shavemac D01 three band. Obviously, it is a flattop. The color is Red Dragon. Anyway, I like my new brush so far. It is very small compared to most of my brushes.

4-5-24.Red Dragon & Friends.640.JPG

This ⬆︎ shows the size of this Shavemac brush compared to two of my smaller brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was good.

4-7-24.Sailor.Mike's.Barrel.640.JPG

I had skipped shaving yesterday, Saturday. Willy's (6), flipped. Cube, both in the shower, and at the sink. The Tube was packed for my trip. I also used Coconut Bay Rum after my shave just because I felt like it.

My only Sailor setting today was 1.5. For upper lip ATG work the Zero Dot works better for me.

Have I mentioned how much I like this brush?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday. A nice shave.

I'd skipped shaving on Monday for no good reason.

4-9-24.BeachKit.640.JPG
-

Willy's (1). Tube(s) in the shower and at tbe sink. (Packing error.)

Opgress settings of 1/8, 3/8, and fully closed did the trick. I'd forgotten what a terrific shave this platform delivers. It is so smooth, drama free, and easy to use. Pretty close shaving, too.

3-9-24.Beach.Point.Trees.640.JPG

This morning we walked to the end of the island and back which was plenty far for me, but worth it as the ⬆︎ scenery ⬆︎ was interesting + we saw dolphins playing. I took photos and movies, but none are work sharing.

We had an early lunch at the most excellent taco truck which is immedicately outside the best seafood market. The market has a little fleet of fishing boats. It's no accident that we're staying only about a mile from the food source.Seafood tacos sound perfect for every lunch and supper for the rest of the week. Both establishments are closed on Sunday and Monday, so today was our first visit with the very nice people who own the taco truck.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday evening's shave was nice.

4-10-24.Opgress.Mike's.RedDragon.Beach.640.JPG

My photo was taken in the early morning. I finally got around to shaving right before bedtime. Willy's (2), flipped. Tube. Shea butter was applied immediately after my shave.

The Red Dragon may look like a three band. It feels like a Manchurian. Of course, it's very new. I suspect it will break in.

The weather was very cloudy, and overcast, but there was some sunshine here and there, enough to enjoy the beach. Breeze on the beach encouraged layering. An assortment of warm beach clothing - sweatsuits in both cotton and wool, polar fleece, wool stocking cap - gave me the options I needed to enjoy the beauty.

There are few people on the island, and fewer still on the beach itself. Some, dressed only in bathing suits have got to be cold.

This morning's long walk was to the pier.

4-10-24.TopSsilBeachPrior.Long.640.JPG

4-10-24.TopailBeachPier.Close.640.JPG

I believe there were a couple of fishermen, out on the far end, trying their luck, but they don't show in the photos. Mostly, the pier was a goal.

We enjoyed watching dolphins a couple of times on Wednesday. I've acquired the knack of spotting them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave took place in the late afternoon before an early for me dinner.

4-12-24.Opgress.Mike's.RedDragon.TopsailBeach.640.JPG

The photo was taken early this morning.

Willy's (3), unflipped. Opgress settings were 1/8, and fully closed. Cube. Shea butter after the shave.

Today's been sunny and beautiful with a good bit of wind, but not enough to keep the well bundled beach bum away. Yesterday was another matter with pretty high winds all day mandating an indoors at the beach experience. It was great to get outside today. The beach's soft colors were a treat. The small very white clouds were right in one's face, striking, distinct, and beautifully formed.

I've been eating a lot of what the taco truck calls seafood stew. I'd call it a soup. Its broth is a light seafood base with tomatoes, celery, onions, a couple of olives, and enough seafood so that almost every bite contains at least one morsel of fish or shellfish. I could probably eat this soup every day, and might if it were as available at home as it is here. Its dominant theme is endless seafood.

Which might be the vacation's main theme. Seafood.

Unfortunately I've had to work a lot which is far from ideal, but it's a very nice place to work especially when I can sometimes sit outside on the shaded and sunny deck, listen to the ocean, enjoy the view, and also work. Am I making progress with my office problems? Maybe so. Maybe not.

This is an interesting brush. It's a lot smaller than most of my brushes which makes it easy to rinse. It seems to work well. As expected the spay is far from small. The knot may have been softer today than yesterday.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday. Another late afternoon shave.

4-13-24.Topsail.Beach.Kit.640.JPG

Willy's (4), flipped. Shea butter after yesterday's shave and after today's. Tube. Settings of 1/8 and fully closed.

This morning we drove to the south end of the island where there is a park of sorts or a nature preserve. From the parking lot we walked to the the extremity of the island. I believe the point is supposed to be unspoiled and never developed land.

It was a lovely place to go for a walk. The sand was very unusual. In fact, the sand on the beach has been very unusual since the wind storm of I think Thursday. Usually when walking on sand I seek the flattest surface with the hardest surface. I'm not a fan of squishy sand as a place to walk. The sand this morning was the hardest sand I've ever experienced.

It won't be my last walk on that part of the island, God willing and the Creek don't rise.

This afternoon I watched the annual spring game. Georgia Bulldogs. The G-Day game. Red vs Black. It was a 20-20 tie. I'd say the defense won the game, but the offense was formidable, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday & Thursday I basically used the same kit.

I'd left my phone/camera in the car so I didn't take a second photo on Thursday. There's only one picture. Sorry about that. The soap scent was different today, Honeysuckle, but it was still Mike's.

4-18-24.Elite.Mike's.D01.Flatttop.2Band.640.JPG

Shea butter (both nights before). Cube/Tube. Mysterium Serum. Willy's, flipped.

4-18-24.Shavemac.D01.2-band.Bottom.640.JPG

Here one can see that the handle is two colors. I thought it was a mixture, but I was wrong.

4-18-24.Two.Shavemac. 22 mm.Both are D01, but...640.JPG

This photo shows the two colors of the D01 two-band handle, too. It also shows how much larger one knot is, bloomed. Mind you, the brush on the left has been used only once. The red handled brush has been used several times.

I like both new Shavemac brushes, but the star of the show is the two-band D01 which is much different from my ⇩ other ⇩ D01 two-band, much softer right out of the gate.

8-13-23.Sailor.Mike's.D01.649.JPG

This knot is also a D01 two-band. I've used it many times, but it's not as soft as the new flattop D01 two-band. Shape makes a difference?​

I'd skipped Tuesday's shave as I had to attend to matters at home and skipped work.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was pretty good.

4-19-24.Elite.Mike's.D01.Beehive.640.JPG

Yes, I thought so. This D01 2-band knot is much different from my new D01 flattop.

Willy's (8), flipped. It should have been discarded earlier I think. At least it's gone now.

Shea butter last night. Cube/Tube. Mysterium Serum.

This was not my best recent shave, but it was still pretty good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Have a great weekend, Jim.

Thanks, Eric. You, too. Also, I want to thank you for keeping Doug's thread alive.

Congrats on the new brush Jim - that's a great handle pattern/color!

Thanks, Adam.

I'm pleased with the knot, too. Knots are always more important to me than handles which isn't to say I don't dig great handles.

4-18-24.Two.Shavemac. 22 mm.Both are D01, but...640.JPG

4-15-24.Shavemac.D01.2-Band.New.22mm.640.JPG

I like both new "little" 22 mm Shavemac D01 brushes. The D01 2-band is particularly impressive. It immediately bloomed into a knot which is softer than my much used butterscotch D01. Of course both these D01 knots are plenty dense with great scrub and sufficient backbone.

Saying that any D01 2-band has sufficient backbone is an understatement, but the flattop D01 has a lot less backbone and stiffness than the butterscotch in post #13,835.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was very nice.

4-21-24.X1.Proline.Mike's.D01.2-B.22.640.JPG

No new blade today. If my count is right, I've previously used this blade eleven times not including yesterday when I skipped shaving.

The ATT X1 is a great razor. Almost every time I use it I say much the same thing. It is even better with the Tibam Radiator handle. Talking Unobtanium!

Shea butter may have been applied last night, but I can not pinkie ring swear to it. Cube/Tube & Mysterium Serum, for sure.

My skin feels better a few minutes post shave than it did before I shaved!

It occurs to me I would like this same knot in a somewhat larger handle, too. Not a larger flattop, just a larger handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom