What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Well, as advertised, the new Kikuboshi arrived yesterday. It appears unused although there is some lace-like old oxidation along the spine on the reverse side. Not a problem although it feels and sounds a little rough on the stones. It will even out.

It didn't have a box but the VCI paper insert appears to be original. It describes the heat treat and temper in detail which I find interesting despite not knowing much about metallurgy. The steel itself is Swedish, from Assab Steel (based in Singapore, they've been manufacturing high quality steel products with Uddeholm sourced steel since 1945, I think). I honed it last night, as there were a couple dings near the heel that needed to be addressed.

Shave was absolutely glorious. The edge was very nice, the lather was on point (Stirling Beeswax) and the DE pass was maybe the highlight. I loaded a Treet 7 Day in the Razorock Old Type, with a shim, and it was about as smooth and as efficient a shave as I've managed. I actually didn't trust that it was as good as it was-- grabbed the FOCS to see if there was any stubble left-- but there was none. Finished with Myrsol Limon.

I actually listened to some music today. Just a playlist with some Waylon, Johnny Cash, Kris K, and a few others. That was a nice way to start the morning.

Be well.
20240410_070640.jpg
20240409_182642.jpg

Well, as advertised, the new Kikuboshi arrived yesterday. It appears unused although there is some lace-like old oxidation along the spine on the reverse side. Not a problem although it feels and sounds a little rough on the stones. It will even out.

It didn't have a box but the VCI paper insert appears to be original. It describes the heat treat and temper in detail which I find interesting despite not knowing much about metallurgy. The steel itself is Swedish, from Assab Steel (based in Singapore, they've been manufacturing high quality steel products with Uddeholm sourced steel since 1945, I think). I honed it last night, as there were a couple dings near the heel that needed to be addressed.

Shave was absolutely glorious. The edge was very nice, the lather was on point (Stirling Beeswax) and the DE pass was maybe the highlight. I loaded a Treet 7 Day in the Razorock Old Type, with a shim, and it was about as smooth and as efficient a shave as I've managed. I actually didn't trust that it was as good as it was-- grabbed the FOCS to see if there was any stubble left-- but there was none. Finished with Myrsol Limon.

I actually listened to some music today. Just a playlist with some Waylon, Johnny Cash, Kris K, and a few others. That was a nice way to start the morning.

Be well.View attachment 1827038View attachment 1827042
Where I am from in Sweden is about 5 miles from Uddeholm. My father worked in the steel mill and I have been there many times. I had summer jobs there as well. the best summer job I had there was in the lab where they test the different steel and develop the different heat treatment for the steel. Fascinating stuff. All of Uddeholm steel is made from scrap steel and you could hear the mill running with a new batch of unmolten scrap metal because it would rattle so bad in the kiln until it melted. their kiln are all electric so the steel would vibrate at 50 Hz. It is now known as Böhler-Uddeholm and is an Austrian company.
1712760416720.png

Love the photo, Boris. Especially the "where I grew up" note.

I have a Böhler steel razor too, from before the merger. The Sistrum. I think ASSAB has been part of Böhler-Uddeholm for quite some time now as well.

There is something about high quality tool steel that is just magical.

Love the photo, Boris. Especially the "where I grew up" note.

I have a Böhler steel razor too, from before the merger. The Sistrum. I think ASSAB has been part of Böhler-Uddeholm for quite some time now as well.

There is something about high quality tool steel that is just magical.
Oh yes it is magical. The steel mill is in the town of Hagfors. Without it it would probably not exist. I have had aunts and uncles etc etc that is working there or did. I grew up all around high quality tool steel. Dad had a metal lathe and other metal working tools and he would grab scrap pieces of steel from work and make things with. We had a small farm so he would make washers, fittings and all kinds of things from the scrap metal to repair machinery. I learned to metal lathe when I was probably 10 years old from him. Probably learned stick welding when I was 12 and I still have a scar in my eye to prove it. The optometrist points it out every time. Yes looking at welding arcs unshielded is harmful to your eyes. I guess that I was not good at listening as a kid.

Last edited:
Well, after finally getting through all my Japanese razors I chose an old familiar one, the Heljestrand MK 8. The shave was pretty uneventful, even "meh" at times, and I thought perhaps I'd get a little aftershave feedback as it didn't feel maybe as ridiculously smooth as the past few shaves. Surprise, though-- a handful of the Veg all over the face, enough to make my eyes burn, left barely a tingle on my skin. So...maybe it was "meh" but the end result was great.

Soap was Beeswax. The ring of doom is spreading quite rapidly now. I should just buy a refill puck. Still, I've been wanting another Southern Witchcrafts in my den. I may go for their unscented. The way I load SW, it doesn't last very long anyway. Not sure why I'm agonizing over it, soap is cheap and I've zeroed in on my preferences so it's not like I have an abundance in the cabinet.

DE was the RR OT again, same shimmed Treet. I think I could get used to this setup. Seems like a very nice balance of efficiency and comfort.

Didn't really listen to music but I spent the afternoon and early evening on the sun porch listening to the frogs, waterfowl, and various other birds from out in the marsh which is, maybe, one of the finest symphonies a guy could want, and you don't have to get dressed up to attend.

Be well.
20240411_070541.jpg

Well, after finally getting through all my Japanese razors I chose an old familiar one, the Heljestrand MK 8. The shave was pretty uneventful, even "meh" at times, and I thought perhaps I'd get a little aftershave feedback as it didn't feel maybe as ridiculously smooth as the past few shaves. Surprise, though-- a handful of the Veg all over the face, enough to make my eyes burn, left barely a tingle on my skin. So...maybe it was "meh" but the end result was great.

Soap was Beeswax. The ring of doom is spreading quite rapidly now. I should just buy a refill puck. Still, I've been wanting another Southern Witchcrafts in my den. I may go for their unscented. The way I load SW, it doesn't last very long anyway. Not sure why I'm agonizing over it, soap is cheap and I've zeroed in on my preferences so it's not like I have an abundance in the cabinet.

DE was the RR OT again, same shimmed Treet. I think I could get used to this setup. Seems like a very nice balance of efficiency and comfort.

Didn't really listen to music but I spent the afternoon and early evening on the sun porch listening to the frogs, waterfowl, and various other birds from out in the marsh which is, maybe, one of the finest symphonies a guy could want, and you don't have to get dressed up to attend.

Be well.View attachment 1827545
Is that shimming the RR old type? Do you use just one blade below or? How much does it change the aggressiveness?

Used my Heljestrand and the Retro for Frameback/Fatip Friday. Did a brief touch up on a translucent Arkansas stone before the shave. Everything was very nice. Soap was MdC Rose lathered with the Vielong synth. The Retro performed admirably too. I think it's got a Bic in it, with maybe a couple shaves-- could have been a new Feather, it just blazed through the remaining stubble. Splash was the Veg, again not even a tingle, so I know everything was on point.

Got a new folding knife, another higonokami but in the larger size. I love these little knives. The factory edge on this one is quite a bit better than the last one, and the polish is more competent too. So it went right in my pocket today. I also, despite *really* not needing any more razors, have another Japanese razor coming off the BST. I showed it to Mrs. Scandalous and she basically ordered me to buy it. LOL. I'll post pics when it gets here.

Listened to Tony Rice's Cold On the Shoulder on the way in today. That was nice too.
20240412_071214.jpg
20240412_084901.jpg

Really great shave this morning. I grabbed the MK 32, it's such a beautiful thing and fortunately it shaves well too. It's supposed to hit 80 today or close to it so Agrumes and Myrsol were obvious choices. Went back to the shimmed RROT and it was great, again.

I did do something a little out of character which was to reapply Proraso preshave just prior to the below the jaw cleanup. I think it definitely makes things easier. In fact the effect seems more obvious at that point.

My new razor off the BST arrived, halfway through the shave, as usual😄. The mailman doesn't always come at the same time but if I have a razor coming, he ALWAYS comes halfway through my morning shave, no matter what time that is. The edge on this one seems very good so I'm looking forward to trying it.

Did a little picking and singing this morning. That felt nice.

20240413_082000.jpg
20240413_095012.jpg

Used my Heljestrand and the Retro for Frameback/Fatip Friday. Did a brief touch up on a translucent Arkansas stone before the shave. Everything was very nice. Soap was MdC Rose lathered with the Vielong synth. The Retro performed admirably too. I think it's got a Bic in it, with maybe a couple shaves-- could have been a new Feather, it just blazed through the remaining stubble. Splash was the Veg, again not even a tingle, so I know everything was on point.

Got a new folding knife, another higonokami but in the larger size. I love these little knives. The factory edge on this one is quite a bit better than the last one, and the polish is more competent too. So it went right in my pocket today. I also, despite *really* not needing any more razors, have another Japanese razor coming off the BST. I showed it to Mrs. Scandalous and she basically ordered me to buy it. LOL. I'll post pics when it gets here.

Listened to Tony Rice's Cold On the Shoulder on the way in today. That was nice too.View attachment 1828176View attachment 1828178
Beautiful pocket knife!

Got to try out the new toy this morning. I think I finally have a razor that matches this Oumo brush.

Brad's edge was really nice too. In a way, I'm almost disappointed, as this razor is made of a steel that I don't believe I've owned up to this point: Schoeller-Bleckmann Phoenix steel from Austria. I kind of want to see how it acts on the stones. But I'll wait. It's obvious that it takes a great edge. Side note, Schoeller-Bleckmann still exists today, but they specialize in oil drilling equipment.

I also did half a pass with my Sistrum to test the edge. I got a burr under my blanket yesterday and decided to touch it up on my arks. I'll probably use it tomorrow. I have an echocardiogram scheduled at 7am tomorrow so I'll need to be quick.

DE pass was a little back and forth between the FOCS and the RROT with the shim. Both with Treet 7 days with some shaves on them. I gotta say, the shimmed RROT is becoming a favorite. More efficient than the standard Fatip and more comfortable than the slant-- and more forgiving than the slant too. I still prefer the feel of the regular Fatip but the RROT is beating it on efficiency, except maybe with a brand new Feather. I suppose I should try a Feather in the RROT. I mean, I have, but not with a shim. Maybe that will be tomorrow's combo.

It's interesting because I've tried shimming both the Gillette Old Type and the regular Fatip and while they felt different, they didn't really shave better.

Anyway. I need to do some serious house cleaning today, hopefully my body will be up for it. I cut up bunch of boxes yesterday midday and I was pretty worn out for the rest of the day. Frustrating.
20240414_105222.jpg

Well, got up an hour early this morning to make sure I got out of the house on time for the appointment. The Sistrum delivered the goods as usual. Proraso Red was the suds. I did load a Feather into the RROT, with a shim. It was quite efficient, maybe a little less smooth than the Treet but otherwise not notably different. Interesting how Feathers really stand head and shoulders above everything else in the Fatip OC, but less so in the other razors I have. Still, left the bathroom with no stubble.

Had an echo today, never had one of those before. Wasn't too exciting although I found it mildly interesting to watch the images when I was in a position to do so. I don't expect to have any drastic findings.

Did a full-on, hands-and-knees scrub of the kitchen floor yesterday. Between the dog drool and the teen's baking experiments it was long overdue. I felt pretty good overall though, and it's always nice to have a clean space.
20240415_061742.jpg

Top Bottom