What's new

Alum Ladd's Garden Shed

That's gurt. Never been there, Although we have visited the Uk on a number of occasions. Hmm
Everytime I see the spelling of your island I'm reminded of the scene from the "Princess Bride" where the priest is conducting the "Mawwage" ceremony

View attachment 1823515
And “Gurt” is an Island dialect word…means big.
The Isle of Wight is a lovely place to visit if you like the outdoors, camping, walks, the sea, nature. Best in the Summer.

My one adjustable stays on setting 5, as all my other razors are non-adjustable, it is more a force of habit than anything else. But now that you have put the spotlight on my shameful behavior, I'll try your suggestion, for the time being, my Slim Adjustable is coming up every other shave till my haul of vintage Gillettes arrives from various parts of the world.

Well, I use my Flexi OC on 6 from time to time and that thing shaves very closely. I tend to dial it back to 4.
Yeah, the OC Flexi is pretty aggressive on the highest setting but the Futur is on another level.
I'd bet that the first couple (lower) levels on the Futur are more aggressive than 90% of any other razor out there.
The highest is pretty insane, hence why I'd love to know if anybody actually uses it!

….or nearby that takes people out for joyrides in an adapted Spitfire. I see it lots in the summer. It’s on the bucket list of things to do but quite …err very….expensive. Unmistakable sound.
Got a local artist , Ivan Berryman, to paint this for my Dad as he was obsessed with Spitfires. I have it now since he passed on but would look cool in the shed perhaps?
View attachment 1823312
That's beautiful. The Shed now has artwork too!

Cheers mate.

Yeah, the OC Flexi is pretty aggressive on the highest setting but the Futur is on another level.
I'd bet that the first couple (lower) levels on the Futur are more aggressive than 90% of any other razor out there.
The highest is pretty insane, hence why I'd love to know if anybody actually uses it!
I had one and never found it to be that aggressive. Kinda big and clunky but not overly efficient in terms of let's say the original R41. I used the Futur on all its higher settings but eventually sold it off because for me it just wasn't that good a shaver. Comfort and manoeuvrability just weren't that great. Again, that's what I found it to be.

Film night at the Shed.

An excellent movie covering the Hurtgen Forest campaign in Europe, October - November 1944. Overlooked by historians until very recently, probably because it was overshadowed by the Ardennes attack a month later.

Realistic, accurate and very well acted.

Last edited:
Film night at the Shed.

An excellent movie covering the Hurtgen Forest campaign in Europe, October - November 1944. Overlooked by historians until very recently, probably because it was overshadowed by the Ardennes attack a month later.

Simon, I agree that is a good movie and can remember reading about the Hürtgen campaign in one of the WWII books I read some years back

For the life of me, I can't remember the book/author but they dealt with it in a specific section and I recall they drew the contrast that at the very moment our men were dying there, Frank Sinatra was doing concerts in New York. Funny how that part always stuck with me... the contrast between the war zone and here at home.

On a more trivial note, I confess my guilt to adjustable heresy. I keep my Slim and 195 on setting 8, but the SA 84 on 7 usually. Whether this is due to laziness, a byproduct of me using mainly three-piece razors for the majority of my shaves, or just the mule-headed stubborn nature of a Continental Rebel, I know not. ;)

Last edited:
Film night at the Shed.

I'll definitely watch it.
For those who are into reading about WWII, I highly recommend Cornelius Ryan's trilogy: The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far, and The Last Battle.
The first two were made into movies, but they didn’t have the impact of the books IMO. Hopefully they are still in print.
Another great one is Band of Brothers by Steven Ambrose.

You have an adjustable razor but you only use one setting.

I don't understand.

Using a Gillette Adjustable Razor* I use 7 or 8 for a WTG pass, then 5 or 6 for my XTG and finally a 5 for the ATG.

Any reprobate shed dwellers who do not adjust their adjustables?

You can be honest here :letterk1:

*Gillette Adjustable Razor was the name for the 195 Adjustable when marketed in the UK. The Slim was called the Gillette Adjustable Razor Mk II.

I will only use these terms in threads. I like geographically correct terminology.

In Australia and I assume NZ if the yearly cargo boat got there, they were marketed as the '195 Adjustable'.

'Fatboy' is an obscene term which I have cast into the outer darkness. Every time I see it wriiten thus, I die a little.
Simon. Here is a TRUE Fat Boy

1712528264541.png

Gentlemen, I feel a renaming campaign urge situation coming on, in the spirit of my famous push to get everyone on the whole wide world to spell arko as arko! by August 2030.

I would urge all of you Brothers who are addicted to using the term Fa.. - see, I can't even write it - for the Gillette 195 Adjustable Razor then I suggest an alternative.

The Gillette FatPerson

So much more dignified.

Top Bottom