What's new

Shavers Anonymous (the simple life)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I hope this isn't too controversial, but:

Over the Easter weekend there were a couple of discussions that highlighted those members who one day look at their shaving gear and just decide there is too much and they have to do something about it. I realised that when I started my journey to reducing my stockpile there was no one place to go where there was a discussion on how to actually achieve this reduction.
My idea is to create a thread (or possibly even a club or brotherhood) where members can discuss why they decided to reduce their stockpile of shaving goods and possibly more importantly how they did it in the hope it may help others to do the same.

The rules

1) No judging or preaching. We've all been there before.
2) Do your best to help those looking to reduce their stockpile.
3) Some may "fall off the wagon", again no judging or preaching, most of us have been there too.
4) You can make suggestions or tell your own stories in hope of helping other members to find inspiration.
5) There is no right or wrong way to to do this, just what is right for the individual.

Mike M

I had 27 soaps and at least 14 of each razors and brushes and nearly 60 blades. It took a while but it dawned on me that I needed to reduce the amount of shaving gear I had because there were too many choices.
I tried a few GRUMEs and fell out as many times as I completed them, but my first real move was joining the 3017 thread and finally finishing some of my soaps (this also taught me just how long it takes to use up a whole soap, something i wish i jad known from the start of this hobby) I have taken it from there. I have also restricted what I bought so last year I only bought 2 soaps and 100 blades, but I recently realised that my last purchase was over a year ago (I never thought I would make it through a GRUYERE, but it seems I have done it all on my own now from 14 February 2023 to 14 February 2024 and counting)

I made a decision about 5yrs ago to minimize my gear and went from 3 razors to 1, 8 soaps to now only 4, and 8 aftershaves to 1 and 2 shave balms. I don't use the shave balms very often but mostly in the winter. I'm sure by the end of 2024 I will 3017 at least 2 soaps if not 3. The only area I haven't really cut back is shave brushes as I went from 3 to 5 but I'm thinking a few of those might make they're way out the door soon as a couple don't get used but maybe 2-3 times a year.

I’m with you. I didn't start with a DE as a hobby or to collect anything. My cartridge shaves were ok, I was basically tired of ordering Sensor Excel carts from rocket guy's web site, since grocery stores didn't stock simple twin blade carts anymore. After learning DEs, I was no longer satisfied with the quality of a cartridge shave, but I wasn't thrilled with other aspects of the DE shave (the weepers, the extra time required). So now I'm trying to find that shave that's good enough, with the least down side. Most of that is technique, but part of that is also finding the right tools. I've got 9 razors that I'm working with now, with the goal of getting down to 1-2 favorites, plus a travel razor.

There is a Minimalist club, but that’s for people who are already there. It’s also fallen several pages back in the Clubs and Brotherhoods forum. I guess it's boring posting the same gear all the time. I’ve just been using a journal thread for the last few months as I endeavor to thin the herd, but maybe a new minimalist club would be good for like minded folks with the same goal, and helpful for others who come along later.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm not a minimalist as a chosen philosophy, but I lean heavily toward using favorites, which tends to lead me to the same place. I've been using the same razor daily for the past 8 years (could be 7 or 9, old memory) at home, not because I'm trying to be minimal, but simply because I like it more than the other razors. I use the same WH and balm for the same reason. I purchased 800 PolSilver SI blades a few years back, and while I occasionally use something else for variety I generally use the PolSilver because it's a nice blade and I have a ton. I normally rotate two soaps, which is really MdC most days with either SV or CSS for a little variety.

Brushes are another story. I rotate 5 and have a 5th favorite for the scuttle. I sold one brush recently because it was so beautiful and I felt guilty about it sitting on my shelf, aside from a few pifs I still have just about everything I've purchased, which is probably a little silly. But I'm pretty lazy and have 3 grandsons, so for now it just sits.

But I think there is plenty of room for the wide range of where we all are on the accumulation spectrum. One razor or 100, if it makes you happy it's all good. For the shavers who have more than they want, my sympathy. Pif the cheap stuff and sell the expensive stuff. The real solution is to marry a beautiful woman like I did who manages the money and doesn't allow out of control spending - but I'm not sharing, get your own.

I made a decision about 5yrs ago to minimize my gear and went from 3 razors to 1, 8 soaps to now only 4, and 8 aftershaves to 1 and 2 shave balms. I don't use the shave balms very often but mostly in the winter. I'm sure by the end of 2024 I will 3017 at least 2 soaps if not 3. The only area I haven't really cut back is shave brushes as I went from 3 to 5 but I'm thinking a few of those might make they're way out the door soon as a couple don't get used but maybe 2-3 times a year.
What's your one razor? I'm always curious to know.

What's your one razor? I'm always curious to know.
5yrs ago it was a Timeless Ti95DC and almost 3yrs ago that was sold because I finally acquired the Ti Blackbird. I like to call it my grail razor!!
SOTDTiBBSS9.jpg

Ti Blackbird / Perma-Sharp / Stirling Spice / Wald Calyx / Proraso Green

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think my purchases have run their course. I'm going to get one more hollow bronze handle. It will share its time with my Timeless bronze 0.38 and my Bayonetta.

I don't really fit in this thread, as I'm not a minimalist, but I am enjoying the journeys of others here. I like choosing a razor on a whim rather than confining them to a rotation. I do rotate a few badger brushes: one to apply pre-shave and the other for shave lather.

I don't anticipate any shaving related gear or software for a few months after I place the order for that bronze handle. Like many people here, I've said this before and then something pops up. I've already passed on several new and exciting razors and brushes. I'm hoping that becomes a habit.

GRUME????? I hate to admit it, but GRUME makes me want to buy stuff. I see the gear others post and realize, Hey... I don't have that one. I wonder what it shaves like. So, not a good motivator for me. I'm not looking for gear reduction. I already did that through a few sales and a few give aways.... What I need would be gear stabilization. I am hoping contentment settles in soon. I've had glimpses.... Now I need a sustained pattern.

5yrs ago it was a Timeless Ti95DC and almost 3yrs ago that was sold because I finally acquired the Ti Blackbird. I like to call it my grail razor!!
View attachment 1822429
Ti Blackbird / Perma-Sharp / Stirling Spice / Wald Calyx / Proraso Green
Nice razor for sure. I've owned many razors over the years. Paradigm 17-4, Titanium Diamondback II, Rex Ambassador. My most treasured razor is the Ikon Tech. Extremely efficient and smooth shave for me. Use it nearly everyday.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Feeling a bit like @Phoenixkh ... I think I fit in here, but it seems a little "loose". I've done the G.R.U.Y.E.R.E. successfully, many G.R.U.M.E.s as well. I have just acquired my grail razor (no, really) and know my blade and aftershave preferences. I'm happy with my brush rotation. I have enough soaps/creams and while I replace a few "necessities" as they are used up I can shave a "lonnnnngggggg" time with what I have. (That includes Arko!, which may exclude me on @Mike M 's merits for participating) I have PIFed or BST'd any hardware that no longer suits me.

All that being stated I'm interested. I have enough. Way enough. I've given plenty away. At times I will make some purchases and the G.R.U.M.E. seems to be a hindrance. ie if I run out of Lucky Tiger Tonic mid month I'm going to buy more. That doesn't seem like a failure, it just seems like I needed to replenish something that I won't shave without.

Perhaps I'm missing @Mike M 's intention, but if I'm in the ballpark I'd like to know. If I am I'll put forth- "Brotherhood of Lost Souls Finding Their Way". Although "Shavers Anonymous the Simple Life" certainly works. Quest for less, use what you have, purchase with intent. I could be way off, but I'll follow the thread and see what plays out. Happy shaves!

Last edited:
I knew it was getting out of hand when I had more products than my wife.

I think the most difficult part was how did you know if you liked it until you tried it? You read about a product and you bought it. Then you go on to the next thing and it snowballs.

It would be different if something would only last a few months, but a soap or cream lasts a year.

I started adding up my soaps and creams and it was a few hundred dollars. That’s when the practical part of my thought process kicked in. It’s alright to buy it and use it , but let’s face it creams do go bad.

Is it a great deal of money? No, but waste is waste no matter how I tried to justify it.

Razors can be bought and sold, so I am ok with that. I just decided to reduce it down to what I use.

If you are enjoying collecting , experimenting and your purchases are within your budget then why not?

Eventually everyone finds their place. For me it’s 2 creams, 2 soaps and a handful of razors.

Mike M

My question is, ‘How does this concept overlap the ‘minimalist’ approach?’
The 'minimalist' approach is about paring it down to just the essentials this is more like realising things have gotten out of hand and cutting the fat to get to something more manageable if a soap or razor doesn't work for you let go of it
I see the gear others post and realize, Hey... I don't have that one. I wonder what it shaves like
I've been guilty of that too, particularly with soaps
At times I will make some purchases and the G.R.U.M.E. seems to be a hindrance. ie if I run out of Lucky Tiger Tonic mid month I'm going to buy more. That doesn't seem like a failure,
That's my main problem with the GRUME too it feels too restrictive even though it's only a month at a time.

Mike M

Perhaps I'm missing @Mike M 's intention
Nope, bang on. I have found myself becoming more intentional with my purchases, instead of trying more and more soaps in the hope of finding that miraculous holy grail soap I just use the soaps that I know already work for me (once I have 3017d the ones that don't). I'm not saying you have to wall yourself up in a cave on top of a mountain with one razor, one blade, one soap and one brush either, I like a bit of variety myself, but I reached a stage where I couldn't decide what I was going to shave with on a daily basis and found myself reaching for what was most comfortable for me

I’m with you. I didn't start with a DE as a hobby or to collect anything. My cartridge shaves were ok, I was basically tired of ordering Sensor Excel carts from rocket guy's web site, since grocery stores didn't stock simple twin blade carts anymore. After learning DEs, I was no longer satisfied with the quality of a cartridge shave, but I wasn't thrilled with other aspects of the DE shave (the weepers, the extra time required). So now I'm trying to find that shave that's good enough, with the least down side. Most of that is technique, but part of that is also finding the right tools. I've got 9 razors that I'm working with now, with the goal of getting down to 1-2 favorites, plus a travel razor.

There is a Minimalist club, but that’s for people who are already there. It’s also fallen several pages back in the Clubs and Brotherhoods forum. I guess it's boring posting the same gear all the time. I’ve just been using a journal thread for the last few months as I endeavor to thin the herd, but maybe a new minimalist club would be good for like minded folks with the same goal, and helpful for others who come along later.
Yep. This is me. My shaves with a Mach 3 were fine, but the cartridge heads (which did last a long time for me) were expensive, and I was intrigued at the idea of a shave that could cost pennies. So to that end, I have spent the last 3 years trying a few different razors, creams, soaps, and brushes. The most expensive razor that I have is a Henson+, and the most expensive soap that I have is PdP No. 63 (but I won that in a PIF). My next purchase will be a Stirling soap, but that won't be until I 3017 what I have. I'd just rather not have a bunch of extra stuff around. I typically don't get bored with the same thing over and over. Why? Because it works. The only razors that have appeal to me right now are the Henson++, the Bison, or the Overlander, but if I did get one of them, I would assess them against my Henson+, choose the best 2 (gotta have a backup) and get rid of the others. The other issue is that I'm cheap and live on a budget. I just don't have the disposable income to spend on many different razors when what I have works, and the reason that I'd be interested in trying the 3 above are to see if they work better, and if so, to commit to using one of them vs the +.

So I'd be happy with one razor, one soap, one brush, one (cheap) aftershave, one balm, and a grab bag of razors or one brand of razors until eternity if that mean easy, comfortable shaves.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I came in through the door marked, "This Way To The Egress! Better Shaves Ahead!" :)

If my old Norelco that I'd been using for 20 years hadn't bounced off a concrete floor I'd still be using it and not really giving it a second thought. It was a good excuse to find a better shave experience. I like to learn stuff, and a long time in various public universities (and three degrees) taught me that everybody pays tuition. Some just want the survey course, others want to dive into deeper waters.

I found some fascination with two platforms; slant DE and Gem. I've used enough slants that I have a pretty clear idea what I like. One of my academic mentors once said, "You know you're done with your research when you just keep seeing the same things over and over." Well, there's a lot of slants out there that don't have a great deal of difference between them. I've found a few that please me, and they're in my cabinet. The ones that didn't quite please me have been re-homed.

Ditto for Gem though it was a faster trip because Gem shavers don't have a kabillion blades to try in the search to find that one that matches their razor and technique. There are options but satisfying Gem shaves, for me at least, rely first on good razor design and second on developing technique that leads to satisfying shaves. In spite of the blade instead of because of it, in other words. :) With all due respect to our general "Technique Rules" perspective on this forum, in some cases I like to foreground the importance of good design.

Having surveyed a selection of Gem-style razors I've found some that really work for me, and as with slants have begun to re-home the ones that I struggle with.

O.H.

Being born post World War II life was simple, let me give couple example of middle class life.

We used public transportation in 5 Burrows of NYC.

Closet in your home was maybe 3 feet wide, it held you hanging cloths.

As child I had two pair of shoes, one was school & dress, one was play.

Dad worked, Mon stayed home, clean home, cooked, took care of kid, or kid, did shopping.

Short trip were walking , long trips were bus, subway, or train.

We had radio for entertainment, record player, TV were not something I had at home until 1958.

Yes we had a few toys, but also mad thing to play with.

Every Boy had pocket knife, and we too to school. No one used their knife as weapon.

We had no fast food, going to restaurant was big treat. Chinese food was a favorite.

Top Bottom