What's new

Springtime bug and weed tips

In late 2020, we downsized to an apartment after almost 20 years of home ownership. My wife saw an ant and spider this week inside our apartment door and was on my case to spray, so I thought I'd post what I found most effective for our biggest home problems over the years.

Carpenter ants: Thermidor SC. When we were buying the house, our home inspector noted that the house had previously been sprayed for carpenter ants. It wasn't until a few years later, that we began getting them in a bathroom. After paying an exterminator over $500 for a year's service, we were still getting them inside. In speaking to someone from domyown.com, I learned that the exterminator only used a temporary contact spray outside and inside, along with bait and powder inside, which didn't kill the nest in my neighbor's tree. Although we didn't have kids and pets, I really hated bait and sprays inside my house and didn't renew the exterminator contract. Less than 10 days after spraying my foundation and the base of my neighbor's tree with thermidor, no more ants. After that I sprayed the outside foundation every year or two, mostly at my wife's insistence. Never had another in the house.

Small ants: At the apartment, we get small ants coming in from the outside front door and rear sliding door. Thermidor is overkill, so I use a Cy-Kick spray can around the doors, which is their cheapest. We plan on taking our first trip since covid this summer, and I've ordered a can of their bed bug spray for hotels.

Creeping Charlie: Neighbors on one side and behind me had it take over their yards, but they didn't care. It eventually crept into my yard. I liked a nice lawn and had a lawn service for fertilizing and weed control, but they couldn't get rid of creeping charlie. I finally found the solution the year before we moved: Ferti-lome Weed Free Zone in pump sprayer. A light spray, with a repeat 2 weeks later worked for me. Like good pesticides, it's not sold in my State because it actually works. I think I got mine from amazon.

Hope it helps.

Thank you for sharing what works. Some of us (most of us?) don't know what works when it comes to bugs & weeds, so you're insight is most welcome!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks for the Thermidor tip. Since the local chemical supply store closed down I haven't been able to get anything worth a crap...nothing from the retail stores works on the ants...seems like a rip-off.

I can handle the wasps if I can find the nest. I think I've hunted them down this year to an old butane tank smoker that was here when we moved in several decades ago.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We're out in the woods and every year, fall and spring we get inundated with the brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys).
They are not directly harmful to humans but are fruit and crop destroyers.
Finding effective deterrent or pesticides has been challenging.
They are an invasive species from China/Japan first reported in Pennsylvania in 1998. They are now widespread throughout central US and eastern Canada.
I'm ambivalent about bugs outside of my house, but these things winter over inside structures, and are very active seeking shelter in the fall and emerging in the spring.
If anyone has an effective home treatment - please do let me know!

1000001534.jpg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
We're out in the woods and every year, fall and spring we get inundated with the brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys).
They are not directly harmful to humans but are fruit and crop destroyers.
Finding effective deterrent or pesticides has been challenging.
They are an invasive species from China/Japan first reported in Pennsylvania in 1998. They are now widespread throughout central US and eastern Canada.
I'm ambivalent about bugs outside of my house, but these things winter over inside structures, and are very active seeking shelter in the fall and emerging in the spring.
If anyone has an effective home treatment - please do let me know!

View attachment 1819923
I used to get quite a few of them trying to seek shelter in my apartment in Nashville in the Fall.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I used to get quite a few of them trying to seek shelter in my apartment in Nashville in the Fall.
If you see one, there are hundreds you do not see.
A single female lays 400 eggs, and in some areas that process happens several times a year.
It has been reported that some investigated structures contained upwards of 25,000 of them wintering over in walls and hidden areas.
They are spreading like wildfire, and if you haven't been over run yet - give 'em a little time.

@luvmysuper Would you like for me to send you some of the fairly new Joro spiders? They eat the occasional stink bug. The Asian ladybugs are just as bad as the stink bugs only harder to see. The kudzu bugs stink just as bad, but unlike the stink and lady bugs show no interest in invading your home.

You guys farther north should thank your stars that you don't have fire ants.

The spiders disappear during winter, but then take over everything when it warms up. I do mean everywhere. The powerlines will be filled with their webs. I'm interested in how they'll interact with the cicadas.
1711711043898.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@luvmysuper Would you like for me to send you some of the fairly new Joro spiders? They eat the occasional stink bug. The Asian ladybugs are just as bad as the stink bugs only harder to see. The kudzu bugs stink just as bad, but unlike the stink and lady bugs show no interest in invading your home.

You guys farther north should thank your stars that you don't have fire ants.

The spiders disappear during winter, but then take over everything when it warms up. I do mean everywhere. The powerlines will be filled with their webs. I'm interested in how they'll interact with the cicadas.
View attachment 1819944
The Joro are indeed one hope.
It is reported that other spiders, some birds and wasps are developing an appetite for the stink bugs.
Hopefully that trend continues.

In late 2020, we downsized to an apartment after almost 20 years of home ownership. My wife saw an ant and spider this week inside our apartment door and was on my case to spray, so I thought I'd post what I found most effective for our biggest home problems over the years.

Carpenter ants: Thermidor SC. When we were buying the house, our home inspector noted that the house had previously been sprayed for carpenter ants. It wasn't until a few years later, that we began getting them in a bathroom. After paying an exterminator over $500 for a year's service, we were still getting them inside. In speaking to someone from domyown.com, I learned that the exterminator only used a temporary contact spray outside and inside, along with bait and powder inside, which didn't kill the nest in my neighbor's tree. Although we didn't have kids and pets, I really hated bait and sprays inside my house and didn't renew the exterminator contract. Less than 10 days after spraying my foundation and the base of my neighbor's tree with thermidor, no more ants. After that I sprayed the outside foundation every year or two, mostly at my wife's insistence. Never had another in the house.

Small ants: At the apartment, we get small ants coming in from the outside front door and rear sliding door. Thermidor is overkill, so I use a Cy-Kick spray can around the doors, which is their cheapest. We plan on taking our first trip since covid this summer, and I've ordered a can of their bed bug spray for hotels.

Creeping Charlie: Neighbors on one side and behind me had it take over their yards, but they didn't care. It eventually crept into my yard. I liked a nice lawn and had a lawn service for fertilizing and weed control, but they couldn't get rid of creeping charlie. I finally found the solution the year before we moved: Ferti-lome Weed Free Zone in pump sprayer. A light spray, with a repeat 2 weeks later worked for me. Like good pesticides, it's not sold in my State because it actually works. I think I got mine from amazon.

Hope it helps.

The internet is fantastic.

I live in New York.
Carpenter ants had found my Cherry Herring.
The bottle was closed but I guess they could smell it
and were attracted to the dried residue by the bottle mouth.

I got this product

New York Indoor Carpenter Ant Kit - https://www.domyown.com/new-york-indoor-carpenter-ant-kit-p-14508.html

and I added a couple of drops of Cherry Herring to the bait.

This is one of the sophisticated poisons
which the ants bring back to the nest to feed the others.
It worked like the product reviews said.
It in a few days I had groggy ants
and then no more forever.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The last house I was in had carpenter bees.
Like salmon, they return to their birthplace to reproduce.
Some homemade traps with a piece of 4x4 and a mason jar put them out of the picture in short order.

images.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom