FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2024 Edition

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Fixed Four:
Shave 13 - roughly 45 hour growth

Soap: Phoenix and Beau Iceni
Brush: Edwin Jagger 19mm best badger
Razor: Game Changer 84-P head on Edwin Jagger DE3D14 handle
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (14th shave)

I got a better lather from this brush today, and so the shave was noticeably less tuggy. I can tell that the keenness of the blade is fading, but that just makes this razor, which is more aggressive than my usual preference, more comfortable to use.

As this month nears its end, the shaves are becoming more comfortable overall than at the start of the month. There's the blade that's smoothed out as mentioned above, taking some of the bite out of the razor, but also the scritch of the brush is lessened too. While I prefer the 68-P for fresh blades, I think this razor is likely better for this blade in its current condition. I might "prove" that with a test shave in the 68-P at the start of April, then flip back to this razor to run the blade to its expiration. For context, I'll typically get around 20 shaves from one of these blades.

I am certainly looking forward to using a different brush though. This one is doing OK, but I am finding myself wanting something scrubbier to give my face a hearty exfoliation, then have a few days of gentle softness from one of my synthetics. I'm looking forward to a few days of a different scented lather too.

FFFMM ‘24 #18

A good Monday shave. Everything worked as it should without any fuss.
Great shaves to all…

A36B1BA0-A6A4-4DB5-9798-5811E4C2247D.jpeg

FFFMM Shave #24
  • Declaration Grooming's Sunrise on La Salle* - SOTM, FFFMM, GRUYERE
  • Semogue's Spanish Shaver's Limited Mistura #15/50*
  • RR GC.84P*
  • Lord Super Chrome - #4*
  • Speick Splash
Wife gave me a subtle suggestion over the weekend; essentially - she is ready to move on from this soap - LoL

* - Denotes FFFMM elements
Same as above for a quick single-pass for Shave #25

Thinking of using ARKO next month :LMS

FFFMM 2024: Shave 14.
Date: March 27, 2024.
Razor: Rockwell Stainless in Red, base plate 6.
Blade: Voskhod, blade 14.
Pre-shave Wash: Hot water and Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.
Shaving Cream: Laser Shaving Cream Lemon.
Brush: Bombay Shaving Company Synthetic.
Post Shave: Cold water splash and MiNature Alum Block.
Aftershave: Jovan Sex Appeal.

FFFMM 2024 Day 27, Shave 27:

Razor:
Gillette Slim Adjustable set on #2 and #5
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (3)
Soap: Williams Barbers' Bar Soap (56)
Brush: Semogue Excelsior 830

This lineup is working so well that I think I'll stick with it until I run out of 7 O'Clock Greens (only one left), then use it to get started on a different kind of blade.

Only 4 days to go on FFFMM!

FFFMM ‘24 #19

A delightful shave once again. I decided to put in a fresh blade in for today’s shave not because it needed it as the previous blade only had 3 shaves on it but, I just wanted a sharp blade to finish out the rest of the month with. Probably 2-3 more shaves to close this thing out for a very successful Fixed Four Event. Hopefully I did not jinx myself. Fingers crossed.

Great shaves to all…

46C6B54E-17DD-4FED-B5E8-C17A52C02B70.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday.

3-28-24.Elite.2023LE3Band.Semogue.Mike's.640.JPG

Excellent gear choices for this month have made the Fixed pretty easy for me. That's not to say the Fixed hasn't led me to learn more. My own personal shaving science has advanced.

One goal was to ascertain whether the brass Rocnel Elite should be moved into my highest razor ranking category, the Daily Drivers. I've answered that question.

The Rocnel Elite is now officially a Daily Driver!

Kudos to the Elite. At the moment it is my favorite razor.

Also deserving are this month's wonderful brush, Mike's most excellent soap, and Willy's great blades.

I hope your Fixed has been similarly successful.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Fixed Four:
Shave 14 - roughly 66 hour growth

Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (15th shave)

A somewhat paranoid shave for me today. I'm currently wearing one of those 72 hour heart monitor thingies, and so I was shaving far more carefully than normal. It's in a plastic pouch, but I was still rather apprehensive about water dripping or running down my front.

These blades usually give me 20 shaves, and at this 15th shave, the blade felt today like it has given me 3/4 of what it can. I thought before that maybe a more aggressive razor would extend the life of a blade, but I am starting to doubt that a little now. It's not spent, but the fade of the edge is noticeable.

The lather might have been a little less wet than usual though, due to trying to avoid drips and runs, but there didn't seem to be any significant lack of slickness on the skin. Maybe a clean and flip is in order. I'll see how the next shave goes first. If that next shave is after lunchtime on Saturday, I can lather with abandon, and maybe a wetter mix will perk up the performance again.

FFFMM 2024 Day 28, Shave 28:

Razor:
Gillette Slim Adjustable set on #2 and #5
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (4)
Soap: Williams Barbers' Bar Soap (57)
Brush: Semogue Excelsior 830

I decided to skip the 3rd pass today, but the touchups were extensive enough that I might as well have done the 3rd pass anyway. A fine result nevertheless.

Three more and counting down....

The Fixed Four:
Shave 14 - roughly 66 hour growth

Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (15th shave)

A somewhat paranoid shave for me today. I'm currently wearing one of those 72 hour heart monitor thingies, and so I was shaving far more carefully than normal. It's in a plastic pouch, but I was still rather apprehensive about water dripping or running down my front.

These blades usually give me 20 shaves, and at this 15th shave, the blade felt today like it has given me 3/4 of what it can. I thought before that maybe a more aggressive razor would extend the life of a blade, but I am starting to doubt that a little now. It's not spent, but the fade of the edge is noticeable.

The lather might have been a little less wet than usual though, due to trying to avoid drips and runs, but there didn't seem to be any significant lack of slickness on the skin. Maybe a clean and flip is in order. I'll see how the next shave goes first. If that next shave is after lunchtime on Saturday, I can lather with abandon, and maybe a wetter mix will perk up the performance again.
Good luck on your holter heart monitor results Al.

Top Bottom