What's new

The Codger Cabin

Would absolutely love to have a typewriter again :)
Little did I know while on the back row of my (hated) typing class in 1973 I would be taking the skills of learning the keyboard of a typewriter with me right up to retirement some 50 years later while using computer keyboards…………When did I really apply all the Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, and History classes. Kids, stick to Reading, Riding, Arithmetic, (adding-subtracting-dividing), and TYPING!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I may have mentioned this elsewhere here, but we still have a big blue WWII-vintage Underwood manual that I used to type on, starting in the first grade and all through grade school. The nuns seemed to be impressed that I sometimes turned in typed papers. But they still found reasons to hit us with those damn steel rulers.

It weighs a ton, relatively speaking. Has round glass-capped keys and the classic bell tone. I remember buying ribbons for it (in steel reels) at Woolworths for 99 cents. A real finger exerciser. I'll have to take a picture of it someday. It's pretty dirty now from storage, and will need a pro cleaning and oiling.

We had a whole bunch of other portables and electrics, from the 60s into the late 80s (they were hybrid word processors at the end). They're all gone.

But I kept the old Underwood for my son, for when I'm gone.

If I may, here is one I found in my email this morning. From the pages of The National Sportsman, December 1917. Courtesy of C&Rsenal.

Velvet-Dec-1917.jpg

I may have mentioned this elsewhere here, but we still have a big blue WWII-vintage Underwood manual that I used to type on, starting in the first grade and all through grade school. The nuns seemed to be impressed that I sometimes turned in typed papers. But they still found reasons to hit us with those damn steel rulers.

It weighs a ton, relatively speaking. Has round glass-capped keys and the classic bell tone. I remember buying ribbons for it (in steel reels) at Woolworths for 99 cents. A real finger exerciser. I'll have to take a picture of it someday. It's pretty dirty now from storage, and will need a pro cleaning and oiling.

We had a whole bunch of other portables and electrics, from the 60s into the late 80s (they were hybrid word processors at the end). They're all gone.

But I kept the old Underwood for my son, for when I'm gone.
I have a giant black standard Underwood that must have been pre-1957, as those were the ribbons (from Woolworth's, as you said!) that went into it. It got me through my first pass at college, and I wrote a lot of fictional words, most of them less than deathless, on it even before I knew how to touch-type. Yes, I'd like to have it brought up to working condition just to have it -- but I'm not sure if there's anybody around here who works on such things.

Back in '88 I learned to touch-type on an electric before moving to computers, so I hae no idea how much effort working on it now would take. Maybe picking up a nice vintage portable typewriter would be a good idea. But I've had the Underwood since I was about fourteen. Hard to let it go.

A codger smoke this morning (well, sort of): Match Prince Albert in my Jeantet horn-stemmed straight billiard. Odd, that the first time I tried this leaf about a year back, it gave me the spins. Today, just a pleasant session with two or three relights. No chemical smell or taste -- but then I have no tobacco "palate" to speak of -- and a steady burn. Seems very much like the real PA that a member here gifted me a while back.

From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Back after a little hiatus ... let's watch some TV.

View attachment 1818906
I do believe that's Dennis Day on the TV screen. He's been almost forgotten except for a line in a M*A*S*H episode, where in a letter Col. Potter (or maybe Maj. Winchester? maybe B.J.?) writes that Father Mulcahy is "a cockeyed optimist who sounds like Dennis Day."

Top Bottom