What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF - A Tale Of Two Bridges

IMG_5737.JPG

Wilkinson Sword London Bridge Blade #1 Shave #7

Easy. Smooth. Comfortable. It's still cutting well so on to shave #8.

Blade: London Bridge (CH)

Razor: G. E. Jones Shake Sharp
Mug: Green Rubber Marvy
Soap: Vintage Williams (AKA "Old Willie")
Brush: RV 2019 Manchurian
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

The LBCH was feeling a bit worn out, so I tried a different razor. The Shake Sharp seemed to revive the blade a little. I went with the usual routine - one pass in multiple directions for the cheeks, then XTG and ATG for the neck.

Final result: DFS+ with no drama.

Head Shave #9

Blade: Light Brigade (2.5)
Razor: Karve CB open comb B plate
Soap: Henri et Victoria Unscented
Brush: Omega boar

This blade is just fantastic. I can see why a lot of guys says it’s the best blade ever manufactured 👌

I made the rookie mistake tonight of using too much pressure after a bunch of shaves with super mild razors. The B plate is mild but the open comb will remind you that light pressure is still important.

IMG_3657.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_0820.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Week three and shave number three on the Vintage Wilkinson Sword The Light Brigade Chromium blade. Not bad today, I think this blade is getting better with use. No blood etc and just a small amount of sting when I applied my Alum Block. I should get my usual seven shaves per blade that I aim for with this blade but I may have just jinxed myself.

E1FA477E-6C87-42B3-878B-CD290E866ADF.JPG

Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade Blade #1 Shave #8

March 27, 2024
  • Prep: Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave soap
  • Brush: Omega 11137
  • Razor: Gillette Tech ( 1964 )
  • Blade: Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (8)
  • Lather: Stirling Soap Glacial Peach
  • Post Shave: Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel
  • Post Shave: Lime Green Freeze AS
I had a lovely and refreshing shave this morning. It is just my second shave with this particular Tech, and at least with the Light Brigade blade, it is proving to be highly comfortable and efficient.

The LB blade still feels like it is cutting well. I <may> try for shave #9 tomorrow, but this blade doesn't have anything left to prove to me, and at this point, I'm only testing it for longevity. I'll see how I feel about it in the morning.

Today's shave of the day:

Shave two of the UK London Bridge blade

IMG_5478.jpeg

Pre-Shave
BigAlVista's Shave Butter, PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Mojito Preshave
Soap/Cream
AofS Sandlewood
Brush
SV Ebony
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Blackbird Lite
Blade
London Bridge - UK (1)
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
Razer, Blade and Cream Observations
The razor and blade yielded a 1 pass DFS and a BBS- shave by the end of the second pass. The combo was not efficient enough to give me a solid BBS shave with moderate touch up/ buffing
Post Shave
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
Channel Allure
Overall Efficiency
Moderate
End of Shave Irritation
Some minor irritation chasing a BBS face.
Nicks
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
9.2: BBS-
Comments
Solid shave. May try the standard BB plate for the next one with this blade.

Brigade vs Bridge - vintage UK blade showdown - Second shaves

The second shave with both of the blades was a repeat of the first - delightful! Both are quite smooth and lead to a very comfortable shave with my Le Maurice. I don't normally use smooth with respect to blades alone, as their main factor is sharpness, so I use smooth with the razor + blade pairing.

These blades are more alike than different, but the Light Brigade continues to edge out the London Bridge for me.

Brigade vs Bridge - Vintage UK Blade Showdown - Third and Fourth Shaves

The third and fourth shaves with both vintage UK blades are more of the same - smooth and enjoyable! I had one less good shave, but it was user error, not the blade. These blades are making me wonder if I should look for a modern similar blade. I normally use sharper blades, but these shaves have been quite nice. They pair well with Le Maurice. I imagine they wouldn't work as well for me with a milder razor though.

Now I need to decide if I push them beyond four shaves. The last vintage London Bridge was falling off on 5 and the 6th shave wasn't great.

Blade: London Bridge (UK)

Razor: Post-War BET
Brush: Rubberset 400-3
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Deja vu all over again. The UKLB felt great, but the shave is slipping a bit. DFS with no drama.

IMG_4473.jpeg

Karve Overlander AL
Vintage English Light Brigade Wilkie (4)
AP Shave 24mm G5C rocket engine
Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash
Stirling unscented glacial balm

It's been a hot minute since I pulled out the Overlander, but I'm circling back to some razors I haven't used in awhile, and this is a favorite that had no business sitting in my closet as long as it has. The Light Brigade didn't feel tuggy, but did feel like it needed just a little more force to get through heavier areas. Got 2 tiny weepers on my left jawline that didn't last, and 1 on my neck which was also small but required a little extra alum at the end. Some usual alum sting but no irritation. BBS on my cheeks and jawlines, BBS- on my mustache/goatee and neck, so an excellent close shave still!

I normally bin a blade after a week / 4 shaves, so I already consider the Light Brigade a success. But that's for your common everyday 10-cent blade; for a vintage blade like this one, I'm going to be sure to use it up, and I think this one can go at least 1 more.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_0837.jpeg

Week three for me and shave number four on the Vintage Wilkinson Sword The Light Brigade Chromium blade. Today’s shave was very good, no blood or other dramas just a really good shave. Three shaves to hit my usual seven shaves per blade. After today’s shave I am confident to get there but have I shot myself in the foot? Time will tell.

Finished shave #5 with the Wilkinson blade last Tuesday (in the Rocca). And that was it, started to tug during the shave and was a sign for me to bin it afterwards. I still have 1 left, will give it a go in some of my milder razors, as opposed to the Rocca which has a lot more blade feel.

English London Bridge Super Stainless #1, shave #4

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: English London Bridge Super Stainless (4) (white label)
Soap: Frankensoap (1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men+Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh)
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Stellar shave today with the Made in England London Bridge SS. Today's setup was the same as my last shave except that I went back to using a heavier SS handle on my AL13+ head and the results were much better. With the all aluminum AL13 I find that I can't find the right pressure, but with an little bit of extra weight, it's really great. So after 4 shaves of each:

English-made London Bridge > Chinese-made London Bridge

Next up in the Light Brigade.

Today's shave of the day - London Bridge UK

IMG_5484.jpeg

Pre-Shave
BigAlVista's Shave Butter, PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Mojito Preshave
Soap/Cream
AandE Asian Plum
Brush
Simpsons Chubby 2 Super Badger
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Ti Blackbird Lite
Blade
London Bridge - UK (2)
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
Razer, Blade and Cream Observations
I was hoping that the blade would have sharpened up a bit after the first shave, but that does not seem to be the case. This shave was almost identical to yesterday's. As mentioned then, the combo was not efficient enough to give me a solid BBS shave with moderate touch up/ buffing
Post Shave.
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
Prada Luna Rossa
Overall Efficiency
Moderate
End of Shave Irritation
Minor
Nicks
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
9.2: BBS-
Comments
Solid shave. Will try the standard BB plate for the third shave with this blade.

Blade: Light Brigade

Razor: Post-War BET
Brush: 2019 RV Manchurian
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Captain's Choice Land Ho! PSB

Another great shave from the Noble six hundred! I did get one small weeper on my neck (a sabre cut?); I never felt it, just spotted the little red dot.

DFS+ with no other drama.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_0857.jpeg

Week three and shave number five on the Vintage Wilkinson Sword The Light Brigade Chromium blade. This blade seems to have hit its straps. Today’s shave was excellent in my book. No blood, irritation and very little sting when I applied my Alum Block. It may have been the excellent Long Rifle shaving products or my shaving game was up to scratch this morning. I had a great start to me Easter Friday.

Top Bottom