What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Having some Stanwell Melange in my 50s Dr Grabow Supreme

20240326_215817.jpg

Home a little early. After an epic quest for and purchase of a new microwave, I thought I'd earned a pipe.

This morning I'd loaded some Amphora Full Aroma into the Peterson 440 straight small billiard, using the Frank method. It seems to me as I do it I'm packing the pipe too firmly. But after the charring light, the leaf allowed me to smoke steadily and gently for some twenty straight minutes. A break for a snack was followed by a couple of relights for almost another ten or twelve minutes. When I tapped the pipe out, I got mostly ash and an actual bit of dottle -- which I see only rarely.

This method is promising, methinks.

Dissatisfying but quick smoke this morning over coffee: nicely-dried Sherlock Holmes in the Peterson 80-S bent bulldog. Either I did it wrong, or the Frank packing method does not work well in a small- and shallow-bowled pipe like this one. I had to relight three times in the first ten minutes.

After five more I gave up and tapped the pipe out. Life is too short to struggle with your tobacco.

Morning, all,

I tried something new today! Post-breakfast pipe: Capstan Blue in the Linkman's Dr. Grabow bent apple, mixed with . . . cigar! Actually it was about a fifth of one of the Romeo y Julieta cigarillos, chopped up and mixed with the CB at about 25%/75%, loaded using the Frank method. I was aware of a little pepperiness in my nose and some brightness in my mind. (Regarding the latter, some might say it's about time.) Rather interesting.

A pipe for the end of Meerschaum March: the Cavalier-carved meer PIF'd to me my Luvmysuper, loaded with an eclectic mix of Capstan Blue, some cigarillo bits from yesterday, and My Mixture 965. A little early to tell if I'm going to like this combo.
I did! Like it, I mean. Not strong, hints of a "gritty" roasted sort of aroma, and the smoke with several relights ran a good twenty-five minutes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
After an early morning jaunt across town to run an errand, I decided to take advantage of the dry still weather. So when I got back home, I packed a bowl of my Outdoor Reject blend (heavily diluted Latakia), and go off in search of a bench, to smoke it in its proper setting.

IMG_20240402_111612.jpg

It's worked out very nicely. Just enough to add a little flavour against the ambient outdoor air, but didn't ghost my mouth to the same extent as many mild Lat blends can. I could have still done with a nice cup of tea with it though. I think I need to get myself a flask.

Despite the stumpy little bantam bowl being loaded with a ribbon cut, and smoked in a gentle but persistent breeze, I still got a good 35 minutes in the late morning sun. Plemty of time to do the mental arithmetic to determine if I have enough bland mixer blends, to tone down the rest of my half kilo (or so) of other Latakia blends down to the same level. And no, I probably haven't, unless a few other (currently unopened) blends along the next few years, find themselves dumped in the reject jar.

Top Bottom