What's new

Which Method Do You Use To Light Charcoal?

Back in day when I had Webber Kettle I used Newspaper as starter.

Never mastered the Webber Kettle, so I bought a Webber Spirt Gas Grill.

It has served me well, I clean annually.

The Grill that did interest me that is old school is BIG GREEN EGG, but bring frugal I not dropping a grand on one.

Many friend have pellet grills n smokers, most live.

I still use the trust Weber Chimney Starter.

If I ever upgrade, it will be to something like this:

I will second the grill gun. I went through a few cheaper torches over the years before getting a grill gun. But if you get a grill gun, either get the hose to connect to a large tank, or look into the refillable 1# tanks that Flame King sells. The grill gun can go through a cylinder FAST!

I use it for lighting the grills, the firepit, and occasionally burning weeds out of the gardens.

Weber Chimney Starter, thing is at least ten years old. A neighbor bought a grill gun, it is impressive. He says "it goes through propane like a race car goes through fuel". I need to replace my chimney starter with...another Weber Chimney Starter. Someone convince me otherwise.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well, I learned charcoal lighting from my father. His technique was to pile up some charcoal in the hibachi, douse it with about a litre of waste alcohol from his veterinary laboratory, step back about five feet and flick a match at it.

1711305503220.jpeg

(image courtesy iStock)

Are the burgers done yet?

What I really learned was the definition of "suicidally insane" which has stood me in good stead all these years. My personal technique involves an empty coffee can with some holes punched around the lower rim. Stuff a little waste paper in there, pour in some charcoal and light it off. Nice and quiet, no dramas.

The last few years due to almost constant burn bans, drought and fire season I've been simply lighting the gas grill. I will say I miss that rushing "Whhhoooomp!" of a home-brew fuel-air explosive going up.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Back in day when I had Webber Kettle I used Newspaper as starter.

Never mastered the Webber Kettle, so I bought a Webber Spirt Gas Grill.

It has served me well, I clean annually.

The Grill that did interest me that is old school is BIG GREEN EGG, but bring frugal I not dropping a grand on one.

Many friend have pellet grills n smokers, most live.
My wife bought me a Big Green Egg for Father's Day years ago now... I use their little squares for lighting it most of the time. I do have one those propane flame thrower things. I forget which brand it is...

The biggest difference I noticed after getting the Big Green Egg? Using natural charcoal makes a serious difference..... no chemical taste. Not that the Big Green Egg isn't amazing. I've slow cooked brisket, pork shoulders, etc... wonderful... and for just grilling hamburgers, it's also great.

For me, the chimney is the way to go. Clean, efficient, and reasonably economical. I learned years ago to add a small amount (maybe a teaspoon or two) of cheap cooking oil to the newspaper and allow it to soak in for about a minute or two. As directed, place the paper in the underside of the chimney, add hardwood charcoal, light, and wait for the ash to completely form. No harsh chemicals or petroleum to breathe or ingest.

I still use the trust Weber Chimney Starter.

If I ever upgrade, it will be to something like this:

$179? No thanks. I will keep my chimney and cube/twigs. Much friendlier on my wallet.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
OK, test for those of us "of a certain age..."

Raise your hand if A) your shoulder isn't too stiff; and B) you remember the crazies in the early days of the Internet who "got real famous" (what we used to call viral stuff back in the day) for using liquid oxygen to start charcoal.

I'm not sure I've ever laughed that hard at anything else. "One cheap barbecue, 60 pounds of charcoal, one lit cigarette and two gallons of liquid oxygen. We tried to take the scrap of barbecue that was left back, arguing it had failed and we should get a refund."

That went SO viral that fire chiefs all over the US were issuing statements that people should not do this, and the original group got slapped with a major threat if they ever did it again.

But, "ready to grill in 15 seconds" works for me.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Before I started wet shaving, I spent a lot of time on a photography forums site. Very similar layout to B&B. One of the favorite things some people do is to light steel wool on fire and wave it around... while snapping dozens of photos or making a video.

Personally, I don't like bits of hot metal hitting me in the face and body. To each their own, I guess.

OK, test for those of us "of a certain age..."

Raise your hand if A) your shoulder isn't too stiff; and B) you remember the crazies in the early days of the Internet who "got real famous" (what we used to call viral stuff back in the day) for using liquid oxygen to start charcoal.

I'm not sure I've ever laughed that hard at anything else. "One cheap barbecue, 60 pounds of charcoal, one lit cigarette and two gallons of liquid oxygen. We tried to take the scrap of barbecue that was left back, arguing it had failed and we should get a refund."

That went SO viral that fire chiefs all over the US were issuing statements that people should not do this, and the original group got slapped with a major threat if they ever did it again.

But, "ready to grill in 15 seconds" works for me.

O.H.

A bit of history about this video: This video was featured in a Dave Barry article in the mid '90s, and was arguably one of the first wide-spread URLs. Due to this sudden influx of interest, Purdue's networks experienced one of the first "Slashdot Effects" ever, driving it's only T1 line at max capacity for AN ENTIRE WEEK!

For me, the chimney is the way to go. Clean, efficient, and reasonably economical. I learned years ago to add a small amount (maybe a teaspoon or two) of cheap cooking oil to the newspaper and allow it to soak in for about a minute or two. As directed, place the paper in the underside of the chimney, add hardwood charcoal, light, and wait for the ash to completely form. No harsh chemicals or petroleum to breathe or ingest.
The chimney is the way to go and adding a little cooking oil definitely helps.
I love charcoal grills but for the sake of convenience switched back to propane a couple of years ago.
I feel like a traitor. :facep: :lol1:

The chimney is the way to go and adding a little cooking oil definitely helps.
I love charcoal grills but for the sake of convenience switched back to propane a couple of years ago.
I feel like a traitor. :facep: :lol1:
Full disclosure: I almost exclusively use a Weber propane grill these days as well. However, when I do use my old charcoal grill (slow-cooked BBQ chicken, brisket, etc), I fire it up with the chimney and some newspaper. Works like a charm. Back in the day (which really wasn't so long ago), my good old dad used to pour frigging gasoline on the charcoal and toss a wooden match onto it from maybe 3-4 feet away. That also seemed to worked like a charm, with the added benefit of providing an explosive whoosh that entertained my cousins and me. There was also probably some massive petrochemical ingestion, but what are you gonna do?

Top Bottom