What's new

YAQI Romulus Polished 316 Stainless AC Blade razor!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This is useful. Thanks!
This is a tough one to answer because there are so many variables. I do have several AC razors, though, and can offer up my impressions (not in any particular order). Hopefully you’ll find something beneficial in them. I will add that I am not a head shaver, so I can’t speak to that at all. I have a very coarse beard that grows fast and I shave daily.

1. Vector. This is the king of the AC hill as far as I’m concerned. It’s the most versatile as it will fit into areas none of the others can. Yes, the Romulus is similarly sized, but the geometry and blade exposure of the Vector allows it to shave efficiently at a wider range of angles. You can fine tune the aggression with blade selection dramatically. With mild guarded blades it is quite tame, with Super Pros it’s as aggressive as I’m interested in. Standard sized unguarded options have been the best for me so far. It’s not perfect, though. It’s not the smoothest ac razor I own. I find it plenty comfortable, but if you do not enjoy blade feel it’s probably not for you. As I mentioned, it’s quite “adjustable” via blade choice, but if you’re looking for a very mild ac razor the Vector cannot do that as well as others. Also there is the cost, of course. Even second hand it will run more than most of the others.

2. Razorock Hawk v3. This is a fantastic option as well. It’s not as maneuverable as the Vector, but it’s certainly not clumsy either. I only have the standard plate and most AC fans seem to find it too mild. I like it, though. With a standard sized blade it offers a very smooth, comfortable shave for me. Pretty much a guaranteed comfortable dfs. You can obviously increase the aggression by using Super Pro blades and I find this works very well. If that’s not to your liking there are two more plates that will increase aggression/efficiency. The build quality is excellent with many handle options (I recommend the titanium halo).

3. Romulus. Some folks in the SE forums pretty aggressively oppose the existence of the Romulus due to its similar appearance to the Vector. I’m not one of them as I own both and recognize that they are very different razors, but it’s something to be aware of. Obviously Yaqi uses the squared off threaded post like the Vector, but that’s pretty much where the similarities end from a user experience. The Vector is designed to be medium to medium aggressive with a standard blade. From there you can tone it down or amp it up with blade choice. The same logic applies to the Romulus, but it is significantly milder in its base configuration. Using guarded blades in it results in a very mild shave that is comparable to a R89/DE89. The Romulus with a Super Pro might be similar to the Vector with a standard blade. The mild nature and smaller blade exposure limit the effective range of shaving angles and regardless of head size I do not find it as maneuverable as the Vector. Build quality is very good, especially if you like the stock handle. I prefer to use mine with the Razorock titanium halo or vintage thin handles.

4. Excalibur. I don’t have a lot to say about this one as I almost never use it. I bought it for travel purposes and have only used it a couple times really. It was fine, but I wouldn’t recommend it over any of these. I will point out that the head is not the same as the Romulus. The blade geometry is quite different and they do not shave the same. I find the Romulus smoother, more maneuverable and more efficient.

5. Razorock Hawk v2. This one is pretty good, but hard to recommend with the existence of the v3 and Romulus. It’s a good bargain and a good shaver, but the overall experience is not as good as the others. I find the v2 both less efficient and less smooth. Probably comparable to the Romulus in aggression, but not as comfortable. Certainly not as smooth or efficient as the v3.

Hopefully there’s something useful to you in all that rambling. I will sum it up by saying if I could have only one ac razor it would be the Vector. If I could have two it would be the Vector and Hawk v3. The truth is the AC format and its array of blade options could make any one of these razors work for most people.

Very well written review IMO, I find it accurate and full of your personal experiences that should help folks decide what they might like to use and buy.
I have the Yaqi Romulus and Yaqi Excalibur razors and they work well for my shaving needs. Your comments are accurate on these two razors IMO. I have used the Yaqi Excalibur for over 2 years(with over 100 uses) because of my large razor rotation. The Excalibur is affordable and a great entry level 50mm blade type or AC type razor and the Romulus is affordable also when bought on sale IMO.
The Romulus is very accurately machined and finish QC is excellent & is on the mild side and it also has positive blade exposure with a Standard Gillette blade I have tested. Use a Feather super pro and it bumps it up notch for blade feel or a blade shim will increase blade exposure if a person wants to experiment a little for more blade feel (some folks like blade feel like myself).
All said very happy with the these razors so far.

Very well written review IMO, I find it accurate and full of your personal experiences that should help folks decide what they might like to use and buy.
I have the Yaqi Romulus and Yaqi Excalibur razors and they work well for my shaving needs. Your comments are accurate on these two razors IMO. I have used the Yaqi Excalibur for over 2 years(with over 100 uses) because of my large razor rotation. The Excalibur is affordable and a great entry level 50mm blade type or AC type razor and the Romulus is affordable also when bought on sale IMO.
The Romulus is very accurately machined and finish QC is excellent & is on the mild side and it also has positive blade exposure with a Standard Gillette blade I have tested. Use a Feather super pro and it bumps it up notch for blade feel or a blade shim will increase blade exposure if a person wants to experiment a little for more blade feel (some folks like blade feel like myself).
All said very happy with the these razors so far.
Thanks, Ron. That means a lot coming from you! I’ve learned a great deal from your posts.

Hi Rudygu, Rudy Vey, thanks for your awesome responses. Both are super helpful. Will read them over properly tonight after work.

Ron R, which is the Gillette AC blade you're referring to? In the short time I've used the Excalibur, I've never come across any Gillette AC blades.

Also, I wasn't sure about the Romulus because I already had the Excalibur. Wasn't sure how different they are. Good to know it's different if I wanted to try the Romulus. Does the Romulus ever go on special much? I might try it out next time it's on special.

Has anyone here tried the Shield AC razor? That's the only other one I wanted to know about.And if anyone has tried it, how does it compare to the Vector?

And what do you guys think about the Alpha Claymore Evolution compared to the Vector?

The Atelier Durdan La Faulx seems like a great razor, but that is out of my price range. Does it ever go on special?

Last edited:
Hi Rudygu, Rudy Vey, thanks for your awesome responses. Both are super helpful. Will read them over properly tonight after work.

Ron R, which is the Gillette AC blade you're referring to? In the short time I've used the Excalibur, I've never come across any Gillette AC blades.

Also, I wasn't sure about the Romulus because I already had the Excalibur. Wasn't sure how different they are. Good to know it's different if I wanted to try the Romulus. Does the Romulus ever go on special much? I might try it out next time it's on special.

Has anyone here tried the Shield AC razor? That's the only other one I wanted to know about.And if anyone has tried it, how does it compare to the Vector?

And what do you guys think about the Alpha Claymore Evolution compared to the Vector?

The Atelier Durdan La Faulx seems like a great razor, but that is out of my price range. Does it ever go on special?
Hi, I have the shield AC razor in AL. It was a bit of a gift from a friend here who did not try it since it looked more aggressive than the Vector.

He was right, it was. I’ve only used it once and here is my take on it…

Used a feather AC blade, probably would have been better to use the schick proline instead. It shaved well. I did not cut myself but had a few more weepers than usual. It was not a terrible shave and given more time I probably would have mastered it and gotten a DFS in two passes with some touch ups.

I have a bit too many razors…and I told the friend that gave it to me that I would pass it on when the time came.

If you’re in the CONUS shoot me a DM. I’d like to pass it on to you and ask you to do the same should you choose to part with it.

With that said, the Shield TI one I have was closer to the Vector but it has a different head than the AL one.

The Vector Ti is my favorite AC so far. I do wish the Ti had the OC plate though.

IMG_4137.jpeg

Romulus and Ti Halo handle

Romulus and Ti Halo handle
Nice looking combination. Since I am relatively new to wet shaving, what is the main reason for those (not sure what material they are) washers people put between the handle and the head? Is it for a tighter fit, or to not scratch the razor's head? Where do you buy them from? Anyone have a link that ships internationally?
With that said, the Shield TI one I have was closer to the Vector but it has a different head than the AL one.

I think the Shield Ti has two different AC style razors. One with a smaller head and another with a larger head that both use AC blades. Which one is the AL version you have based on?

The Vector Ti is my favorite AC so far. I do wish the Ti had the OC plate though.

Right, so the Vector Ti only comes with the SB plate? No option to buy and OC plate?

Ron R

SE SOTD, Friday, January 19 2024

Razor : Yaqi Romulus 316 SSP, 50mm or AC type + a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SSP handle- Mfg 2023>, Mild to mid range depending on blade used or shim. Excellent accurate machining and finish QC gives a person a nice shaving razor. Very small head parts allows for very nimble shaving and very enjoyable + not much weight. Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai captain titian mild(1) sharp and smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier AC blade IMO.
Soap : Razorock Lavender, nicely masculine scented Lavender with excellent lather qualities.( obsolete)
Brush : Yaqi "Mysterious space" 25mm timber wolf synthetic knot :001_wub:. Excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Timber wolf knots have worked well for my shaving needs.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock King Louis Lavender splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus SE with a Kai Captain titian mild blade.
5SOTD Januray 19 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

My Romulus arrived yesterday, and my first impression was that I had purchased a toy razor. A shiny and well made razor, but clearly not something intended for use by an adult. I considered replacing the tiny handle with something else - perhaps a RazoRock Titanium Halo since I have a couple of those - but I decided I would first try the Romulus with the original handle. So this morning I inserted a Feather Pro blade, lathered up and gave it a try. I was quite surprised that even with my fairly large hands I had no problem holding onto the razor and maneuvering it around my face. The first pass WTG was very smooth, and the second pass ATG was as well. The small head makes it easy to get into tight spaces (like under my nose) and I finished up with a little touch-up as usual.

The results were quite good, but noticeably short of BBS. I would say that the Romulus is roughly equal in efficiency to my Hawk V3, but clearly less efficient than my Enoch. For that reason I generally use a Feather Pro Super in the Hawk, and I will probably try that in the Romulus if the efficiency doesn't improve as I become more familiar with the razor.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yaqi Romulus / Feather AC Pro
Romulus24.png

This was with a new blade and I can say the not specified blade the razor came with was indeed also a Feather Pro.

Very mild but effective, regrowth comes quick with this one, though. I still have to try it with a Feather Super to add a bit oomph to the shave.

There is now also an OC version. But let's see, my next "SE" will be the Yaqi Tachi using DE half blades.

My Romulus arrived yesterday, and my first impression was that I had purchased a toy razor. A shiny and well made razor, but clearly not something intended for use by an adult. I considered replacing the tiny handle with something else - perhaps a RazoRock Titanium Halo since I have a couple of those - but I decided I would first try the Romulus with the original handle. So this morning I inserted a Feather Pro blade, lathered up and gave it a try. I was quite surprised that even with my fairly large hands I had no problem holding onto the razor and maneuvering it around my face. The first pass WTG was very smooth, and the second pass ATG was as well. The small head makes it easy to get into tight spaces (like under my nose) and I finished up with a little touch-up as usual.

The results were quite good, but noticeably short of BBS. I would say that the Romulus is roughly equal in efficiency to my Hawk V3, but clearly less efficient than my Enoch. For that reason I generally use a Feather Pro Super in the Hawk, and I will probably try that in the Romulus if the efficiency doesn't improve as I become more familiar with the razor.
After two shaves with the Feather Pro, I decided that it was time to try increasing the efficiency by switching to a Feather Pro Super blade. This indeed did the trick. There was more blade feel, but less than with the same blade in my Hawk V3. The results were near BBS overall; mostly it was BBS but in a few spots I seemed to have come up a bit short. I remedied that about an hour later with a quick buff of those spots. I also experimented with the RazoRock Titanium Halo handle. It was comfortable but just looked odd to me - sort of a pinheaded look with the more robust handle and that tiny head.

I think this will be a keeper, although it seems almost redundant with the Hawk V3. I'll probably look to sell one of the two on the BBS once I decide which of the two I prefer.

After two shaves with the Feather Pro, I decided that it was time to try increasing the efficiency by switching to a Feather Pro Super blade. This indeed did the trick. There was more blade feel, but less than with the same blade in my Hawk V3. The results were near BBS overall; mostly it was BBS but in a few spots I seemed to have come up a bit short. I remedied that about an hour later with a quick buff of those spots. I also experimented with the RazoRock Titanium Halo handle. It was comfortable but just looked odd to me - sort of a pinheaded look with the more robust handle and that tiny head.

I think this will be a keeper, although it seems almost redundant with the Hawk V3. I'll probably look to sell one of the two on the BBS once I decide which of the two I prefer.
I’ve been using the RazoRock “Vintage Thin” handle on the Romulus and like it very much. It’s a bit redundant for me as well since I have the Vector and Hawk v3, but with this handle it is perfect for travel.

Ron R

Good to know that the Feather pro super blade works well if a person who likes blade feel and knows how to use it. Glade you had a great shave with the Romulus.

Good to know that the Feather pro super blade works well if a person who likes blade feel and knows how to use it. Glade you had a great shave with the Romulus.
Thanks. Today was shave #4 with the Romulus and the second with the Feather Pro Super blade, and it was an extremely comfortable BBS shave. I'm still using the original handle, and I seem to be getting comfortable with it, so there's no real incentive to change anything. Compared to the Hawk V3 with the same blade, the Romulus is more nimble and smoother with a bit less blade feel and equally excellent results.

Thanks. Today was shave #4 with the Romulus and the second with the Feather Pro Super blade, and it was an extremely comfortable BBS shave. I'm still using the original handle, and I seem to be getting comfortable with it, so there's no real incentive to change anything. Compared to the Hawk V3 with the same blade, the Romulus is more nimble and smoother with a bit less blade feel and equally excellent results.
I agree. I know there’s a bit of ire by some about the visual similarities of the Romulus to the Vector, but I have to think it’s more of a competitor to the Hawk V3. The price point is the same (cheaper on sale) and performance is similar with a more nimble head. I own all three and there’s no way i would replace the Vector with the Romulus. The feel and performance couldn’t be more different. It could replace the Hawk, though, with standard plate anyway. Yaqi may just be starting. They already offer the open comb Romulus. If they start offering more plates and sell them separately some manufacturers will definitely feel some heat.

I agree. I know there’s a bit of ire by some about the visual similarities of the Romulus to the Vector, but I have to think it’s more of a competitor to the Hawk V3. The price point is the same (cheaper on sale) and performance is similar with a more nimble head. I own all three and there’s no way i would replace the Vector with the Romulus. The feel and performance couldn’t be more different. It could replace the Hawk, though, with standard plate anyway. Yaqi may just be starting. They already offer the open comb Romulus. If they start offering more plates and sell them separately some manufacturers will definitely feel some heat.
I have stayed out of the Romulus/Vector copycat debate so far, but here's my two cents. I can't say where the dividing line between intellectual property theft and legal inspiration belongs. Is the Vector design patented? Could it be, or is it not sufficiently innovative? If I wanted to disign an AC style razor with a minimalist head and I had never seen a Vector, would it look like the Romulus? I know the answer to none of those questions. And as much as I would like to try the Vector, it is just more than I'm willing to spend on a razor. My old limit used to be $100, and I've exceeded that a bit upon occasion (like when I purchased a Blackbird), but $280 for a polished Vector just doesn't work for me.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It seems Vector and Romulus shave way more differently than one would expect, as @rudygu explained already.
I don't know a single razor design that was patented and whose patent did not yet expire. No modern razor seems to have been filed for a patent, many standard designs are rather generic and might not be able to be protected as design.

Yaqi and the other Chinese companies copy relentlessly, but seem to follow their own ethos or Chinese laws?

Example: Merkur Futur. The very day the patent expired, it was cloned more often than Jango Fett.
They copied the Timeless Plaid handle when it was no longer made by Timeless, the same happend to the Dart handle.
Then there are examples where they simply copy and don't care, the Blackbird handle for instance got copied and they only removed the upper part that screws into the hole in the baseplate. Maybe they see this as sufficiently different?

There are both moral and legal questions. And mostly it is legally okay. But morally mostly not.

Patent law is boon but also bust. I remember a trial where Apple and Samsung were comparing how rounded the corners of a smartphone screen were. Apple might not have invented the Smartphone, there were earlier designs from Microsoft that never became popular, but inspiration was there... then they were copied. Was it bad for Apple? Maybe. But many could not afford iPhone prices. So maybe the world did benefit from it with a whole range of Android phones in all price ranges.

Then there are "fake" shoes that are often made in the very same factory as the originals by the very same makers after their contracts with Nike, Brooks, Saucony etc. expired. One could get the Brooks Caldera 7 there months ago in colorways not yet available in the West, if customs didn't catch and charge the buyer. Which they often enough did, they are after watches and shoes like nothing else.

Well, I obviously have a lot of Chinese stuff...^^
But I also have the Western originals in most cases and if not for the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC copy of the Wolfman WR2 the bug to one day maybe get the expensive (not that much anymore, Wolfman didn't raise prices as much as some others, and don't forget its CAD and not USD!) real deal Wolfman.

Razorock has probably the most reason to have a grudge against Chinese makers, but then, it is quite known that their Game Changer was supposedly very much inspired by the Guerilla from Wolfman. Hmm...! Their most quite unique design the Chinese at DSCosmetics failed to copy properly is the Wunderbar/Superslant line.

It’s a very complex issue. Maliciously applied patents can do as much or more to harm original ideas and innovation as copying another’s design does. Patent trolls are a real danger to small businesses in all fields, but of course so are counterfeit goods. Like everything in life it’s not as black and white as some would like to believe.

The Romulus was clearly inspired by the Vector, but they don’t try to pass it off as one. No one could look at both and truly confuse the two razors. The heads are not shaped the same and the handles are obviously different. The shaving geometry is different. They market it under their own brand. It’s not a counterfeit. Most of the similarity is the threaded post. Is that enough of a unique feature that only Blackland should be allowed to use it? I have no idea. I genuinely don’t. I’ve installed enough door knobs to see other squared off threaded studs before, though.

I’m sure there are people who have bought the Romulus as a way to get a cheap Vector. That’s a shame, but there will probably be as many or more that get it because they want a slim ac razor that’s milder than a Vector. Maybe this will spur Blackland to make a “Vector Lite” 🤷‍♂️. All I know is I own both of them and and they are different enough to serve different roles for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just read through this whole thread. I had such a bad experience with the second generation Sentinel 1.5 SB and OC razors, I'm pretty sour on Yaqi. Still, I'm a huge fan of the AC razor format. I already have the Claymore Evolution, the ATT X1 AC Slant, the Atelier La Faulx Classic in bronze with a SS razor head on the way... and I'm on the waiting list for the Wolfman WR4 in bronze to match the Darwin handle I have waiting for it. I should be getting just the WR4 head in April.

I keep seeing the Romulus popping up in various posts on B&B so my interest was piqued. It sounds like it's a bit more mild than the Vector which would be a plus for me. I'm sure I'll see the OC version reviews here soon.... You never know, I might end up with a Yaqi razor I can enjoy.

Edit: I do still have that Darwin-esque Yaqi handle which I see people using with the Romulus and other Yaqi razors... and a few other brands as well. I also have a Dscostetic Destroyer handle....both purchased when I bought the Sentinel 1.5 variations.

Last edited:

Ron R

SE SOTD, Friday, January 26th 2024

Razor : Yaqi SE Romulus 316 SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale SSP handle, Mfg 2023>, mild to mid range depends on blade (Feather Pro super will get mid range) or shim used. Machining and Finish QC are excellent, it is a slight upgrade from the Yaqi Excalibur head in machining and blade fitting + a different performance depending on operator thoughts it seems. It looks similar to a B.L Vector as some have already mentioned, Remus or Romulus are affordable when on sale for a all 316SSP SE razor IMO. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai Captain titian mild(2) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Razorock M.F, very nice cologne type scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " Moka express" 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave :Razorock M.F splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 2 tiny weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus with a Kai Captain titian mild.
5SOTD Januray 26 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom