What's new

OCtober 2018

October 31
Razorock SLOC, Shavemac pure, Stirling soap and AS.

It's been another good OCtober and now I'm back to closed combs until March.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Happy Hallo-Open-Comb-Ween!!!! OCtober 31st. In the spirit of the day, I wanted to experience at least a little fear, so here's my shave today: New razor -- the dreaded MMOC :devil: -- it was my first time using this razor, the first time using a non-injector SE, and the second time using an SE period. New soap -- Men's Soap Company "Rockies Sandalwood" -- I won this on the recent B&B auction -- I'll be doing a thorough review after a few more uses. And a new brush -- The Maggard's 18mm Synthetic Travel Brush (this will also get a review). The shave was excellent!!! BBS with 3 passes with only 2 phantom bleeders (they were there briefly, but then vanished). OC's are awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed OCtober....thanks to everyone for sharing their shaves!
OCt31p3.jpg

I have not been posting pics to make it easier for the scorekeeper, but so far I have not seen a scorecard. Perhaps there isn't going to be one this year. It is a lot of work. Anyway, here are some Fasan pics as it is the last day.

Thanks for the great Fasan pictures and background! They are a big part of the enjoyment of OCtober for a B&B noob like myself.

OCtober Shave 23
NEW Short Comb / Common bar handle
Nacet (6)
Omega Bigger Bambino brush
Razorock Blue Barbershop soap
Nivea Sensitive Cooling post shave balm

Thought maybe I'd pull out the Durham Duplex for a scary Halloween shave but it didn't happen. I've kind of strayed from my OC razors lately. It was fun to go back to them. Not sure what I'll pick up tomorrow. I should use up the blades in the OCs that I've been rotating through. We'll see!

Thought I'd finish OCtober with the first OC I acquired. At the time I thought OCs looked dangerous so I decided to spend as little as possible on one just to try it and see if I liked it. I did. I'd paid £3 on Ebay for this Knackered looking Gillette Old type with hardly any plating left on it and a couple of slightly bent teeth. My first shaves with it were very tentative but I soon grew to love it. I've really enjoyed using my open combs this OCtober, and while this isn't the prettiest of the bunch, it gave me a really nice DFS today and it's still a damn fine razor.
IMG_1145.JPG

Proraso Red Pre Shave
NDC Gillette Old
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Indian Wilkie) (1)
Proraso Red Shave Cream
Semogue 1460 Boar
Nivea Balm
Old Spice

Hi,

Day 32, Shave 32: Oh. Wait....... :p

Anyway, 1st of the month, so always Grandpa's Old Type Thin Cap.

Stan

Interesting enough, I ended up in the Excalibur club this month by happenstance.

I used my Pearl OC the entire month w/ different brushes and soaps throughout. It was loaded w/ a Polsilver Iridium blade and provided great shaves throughout. I didn't realize I hadn't changed the blade until changing it yesterday to a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow; wonder how long this one will go.

marty

I have not been posting pics to make it easier for the scorekeeper, but so far I have not seen a scorecard. Perhaps there isn't going to be one this year. It is a lot of work.

Sorry guys. I have been burried with work this year and have not had time to work the stats (or even really participate in the thread). Thanks to y’all for keeping the topic going. Hopefully next year will be back to normal. Although the $$$ is great with multiple clients wanting work done at the same time, it does not leave time for other things.

Sorry guys. I have been burried with work this year and have not had time to work the stats (or even really participate in the thread). Thanks to y’all for keeping the topic going. Hopefully next year will be back to normal. Although the $$$ is great with multiple clients wanting work done at the same time, it does not leave time for other things.
No need to apologize, thanks for all the work you've done on this in the past. The stats are fun to look at, but there also something to be said for the more relaxed come as you are say as long as you want type of party. I think the thread went over very well, and had a lot of fun!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
No need to apologize, thanks for all the work you've done on this in the past. The stats are fun to look at, but there also something to be said for the more relaxed come as you are say as long as you want type of party. I think the thread went over very well, and had a lot of fun!
Well said. I second the motion!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I couldn't agree more!!!

Thanks again Shutterbug for the thread. I really enjoyed OCtober (and needless to say, I was minded to acquire a couple more OC's throughout the month!)
Cheers.

Hi,

Here is to hoping what I said wasn't seen as a complaint. Far from it! I am glad you had higher priorities. :)

I was just saying that I was keeping it simple in case you were trying to keep score.

Tons of fun as always, and I am already looking forward to next OCtober.

Stan

Hi,

Here is to hoping what I said wasn't seen as a complaint. Far from it! I am glad you had higher priorities. :)

I was just saying that I was keeping it simple in case you were trying to keep score.

Tons of fun as always, and I am already looking forward to next OCtober.

Stan

Stan - no worries. I did not take your comment as a complaint. Actually, I am somewhat curious if folks prefer the thread with or without stats. I don’t mind doing them when I have time, but, as you and others have noted, the thread is different with and without stats. Folks can think about it over the next 11 months. I may ask that question in next year’s kickoff post.

Stan - no worries. I did not take your comment as a complaint. Actually, I am somewhat curious if folks prefer the thread with or without stats. I don’t mind doing them when I have time, but, as you and others have noted, the thread is different with and without stats. Folks can think about it over the next 11 months. I may ask that question in next year’s kickoff post.
My 2 cents on the subject. I do enjoy the stats and will gladly read them, comment on them, and cheer for my favorites. But on the other hand I remember my first OCtober I joined late, and didn't even realize there were stats. Then when the next round of stats came up I noticed you had to edit the spreadsheet for me (and a few others), then the next time I realized you were tracking head shaves and face shaves separately and I wasn't noting which I was doing on what day, so more editing for you to do. It made me realize how much work this could be for you, so I started trying to list my razor and what I was shaving at the beginning of the post to try to make it easier. But I also know not everyone is doing that some some post you have to read trough a few paragraphs to see what guys are using and a few don't even state what the razor is just post a pic, so now you have to figure out what the used. With a thread that moves 40 or so post a a day this can get out of hand very fast. I'm fine with or without stats, but I think if we do have stats we should should do a little more formal of a format for posting to make tings easier for the stat keeper. But I do feel the less formal option would be more inviting for people joining late. I don't think it would be too bad though we would just have to keep politely reminding guys to list there razor clearly and first in there post. Most of all I wouldn't want to lose the pics though I think they're some of the most fun of the thread. Just my thoughts, I would like to hear from other too.

Well my status for October were:

Timeless 95 OC - 12 Shaves
Gillette New SC - 9 1/2 Shaves
Schone OC - 3 1/2 Shaves
Gillette Old Type - 3
Frankenrazor - 2

Total OC Shaves for the month 30.....definitely safe to say my favorite OCs are the Timeless 95 OC and my Gillette New SC.

Top Bottom