What's new

2011 R41 - The Quest Achieved!

i have to admit that i am not lucky to try any of the vintage UK Wilkinson blades or the personna tungsten 74
the only blades that were made close to these standards and i tried before they were discontinued there were the Swedish gillette platinum which were maybe the second best below of vintage Wilkinson
So what’s shaving like at the end of the rainbow?
2011 R41 - Wilkinson Light Brigade (12)
View attachment 889023

Me and my daughter are off to Brussels and I wanted the longest possible lasting shave to set off with.

For me this is the ultimate blade in the ultimate DE.
And that is that...

M

Member 113878

Good morning.
Could you please measure the base, if you have a caliper of course.
I have a R101 and I'm trying to determine if I have the older or newer head,
According to Dueling Mühles—R41 Comparison: 2011 & 2013 my cap is the older model because it matches their measurements with my caliper.
They don't give the base measurements though.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Regards,
François

Good morning.
Could you please measure the base, if you have a caliper of course.
I have a R101 and I'm trying to determine if I have the older or newer head,
According to Dueling Mühles—R41 Comparison: 2011 & 2013 my cap is the older model because it matches their measurements with my caliper.
They don't give the base measurements though.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Regards,
François
My 2011 base plate is 24.8 mm wide and 41.4 mm long.
Look at the outermost teeth on the baseplate - for the 2011 they are slightly thicker than all the central teeth.
For the 2013 the outermost teeth are much more noticeably wider than the inner teeth.

If your top cap is <19mm wide then you can be confident that it’s the 2011 model.

Hey, many thanks to fblais (Francois) for researching this issue and then selling me that 2011 R101/R41 head. Looking forward to trying it out with the handle from the 2013 R41 I have on order (and also the Ikon Bulldog handle I picked up on clearance from Connaught).

Tonight a complete head shave with the 2011 R41 and an early 70’s New Wilkinson blade.
Total confirmation for me that the 2011 R41 is the ultimate DE and the only one that I really need.
Ha ha now I have BBS head as well as face :)
B5BDF599-4990-49EB-A893-E7A77B543B0B.jpeg

:001_unsur Is it only recently that you've started this head shaving lark Marcus?
Yes it was part of my Halloween look at work and I’ve really taken to it!
It means even more shaving and rediscovering all my razors and finding out how they perform for head shaving.

The 2011 R41 is a total star here partly because it is so good for steep angle shaving which works really well on the back of the head and partly because it is just so incredibly efficient.

For whatever reason, I just can't get the 2011 R41 head to perform well. Not talking about head shaving; I've no experience with that. Rather, just in terms of a standard shave. It performs reasonably well. But my course and stubborn stubble does not get mowed down to the nub the way it does with the Ikon Tech or the ATT SE2, both of which seem about equal in their ability to provide the closest of shaves.

This morning I ran the R41 against the Karve with an F plate. Both performed pretty much identically. Not a bad shave but not even close to what I get quite easily with the Tech and what I've learned to get with the SE2 as I've developed technique.

Will continue to play with the R41. Perhaps there's an angle I've not tried. Will definitely try other blades. So far I've used only Dorco 301s, which are alright but certainly not the best of blades. Perhaps the R41 and the Dorco don't play well together.

For whatever reason, I just can't get the 2011 R41 head to perform well. Not talking about head shaving; I've no experience with that. Rather, just in terms of a standard shave. It performs reasonably well. But my course and stubborn stubble does not get mowed down to the nub the way it does with the Ikon Tech or the ATT SE2, both of which seem about equal in their ability to provide the closest of shaves.

This morning I ran the R41 against the Karve with an F plate. Both performed pretty much identically. Not a bad shave but not even close to what I get quite easily with the Tech and what I've learned to get with the SE2 as I've developed technique.

Will continue to play with the R41. Perhaps there's an angle I've not tried. Will definitely try other blades. So far I've used only Dorco 301s, which are alright but certainly not the best of blades. Perhaps the R41 and the Dorco don't play well together.
Very interesting and definitely a case of YMMV - I found the 2011 R41 using steep angle outperformed the IKon Tech, Cobra Classic and SE2.

The iKon Tech is an all time great razor but I get greater shave longevity with the 2011 R41 and also prefer its slightly chattery face feel.

I believe he's using a SE2 V2, which is more efficient than the V1.
Aah... yes as you have spotted I’ve only used SE2 v1.

I did find that the 2011 R41 outperforms both the Asylum Rx and Claymore v2 (my favourite AC SE) though...
... As you can see from earlier on in this thread for me the 2011 R41 definitely outperforms the Shavecraft Tech so YMMV all the way!

Aah... yes as you have spotted I’ve only used SE2 v1.

I did find that the 2011 R41 outperforms both the Asylum Rx and Claymore v2 (my favourite AC SE) though...
... As you can see from earlier on in this thread for me the 2011 R41 definitely outperforms the Shavecraft Tech so YMMV all the way!

You have to do all of your comparisons over again with the Schick Proline blade! :001_tt2:

You have to do all of your comparisons over again with the Schick Proline blade! :001_tt2:
Ha ha my friend you are inspiring me to do a shave off between 2011 R41 with vintagecWilkinson blade and Claymore v2 with Schick Proline!!

Ha ha my friend you are inspiring me to do a shave off between 2011 R41 with vintagecWilkinson blade and Claymore v2 with Schick Proline!!

It's good to see you, Marcus! I hope all is well. Are you still using the PAA DOC Evo and Barbasol floating head?

It's good to see you, Marcus! I hope all is well. Are you still using the PAA DOC Evo and Barbasol floating head?
Thank you my friend! These days I am mostly about straights and shavettes but head shaving has drawn me back into DEs and SEs and I eventually found that the 2011 R41 was the only DE for me :)
What are you shaving with these days?

Thanks to some severe provocation just now from @rabidus I have now been led to one of the all time ultimate shave offs:
2011 R41 with vintage Gillette Swede vs Claymore V2 with fresh Schick Proline.
Wah!!!!!!
29EADF67-8BDF-4B7E-B34D-A6658D6188C7.jpeg

Both razors have a lot of blade feel and perhaps a little bit of chatter so they have a comparable face feel.

The Gillette Annecy Swede is one of those legendary vintage superblades, incredibly smooth, very very sharp and extra long lasting.
And of course the Schick Proline is almost everyone’s favourite Artist Club blade. Guess what? It’s incredibly smooth, very very sharp and extra long lasting too.

Claymore V2 is as aggressive for me as the Asylum Rx but considerably smoother and the Claymore also weighs 140g+ so it’s a very formidable razor indeed! A worthy opponent for the 2011 R41.

So I shaved the left side of my face and head with the 2011 R41 and the right side of my face and head with the Claymore V2.

Predictably it’s BBS all the way with a waxy feeling to the skin from the R41 and a sandstone feeling from the Claymore.

So let’s see how the shaves play out over the next 36hrs...

Top Bottom