What's new

McVeyMac Straight Journal

When I first was starting to shave with a straight razor, I made the comment that one could probably shave well using Lava soap once the proper shaving technique was leared. I still beleive this to be a true statement. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do it.:mad2:.

Truer words were never said! My father used to say something like that quite often.

Not soon enough:cool2:. I really did give this soap a fair shake. It just does not work well with my water. I hope that I am able to get the Blasted Blue Willie to work reasonably well else it will be a long couple of weeks if I do not.

When I first was starting to shave with a straight razor, I made the comment that one could probably shave well using Lava soap once the proper shaving technique was leared. I still beleive this to be a true statement. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do it.:mad2:.

Truer words were never said! My father used to say something like that quite often.

You guys should have no issues, as I am putting some ingredients that should solve you lather issues. Will start making them tomorrow

....When I first was starting to shave with a straight razor, I made the comment that one could probably shave well using Lava soap once the proper shaving technique was leared. I still beleive this to be a true statement. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do it.:mad2:.

I remember you saying that - LOL. :001_cool:

Straight Razor Shave 584

Since the last shave with the Genco Master Barber on what I attempted to be a face full of Williams lather, I was completely disappointed with the resulting shave. I gave the Genco a good 50/50 on canvas/leather using the Tomonagura offerings I have hanging. I skipped a shave yesterday, so I had two days growth. In preparation for the Blasted Blue Willie 3017 coming my way, I opted to break out of my cheap soap 3017 until it arrives. This morning I chose the Stirling Mountain Man that loaded and whipped into a luxurious lather that smelled just as good as it looked and performed.

The resulting shave was full on BBS, and was the most pleasant shave I have had in the past 20 or so shaves.

Walt, sorry the Williams didn't work out for you. I'm surprised you would be willing to give the Blue Willy a go. But like you said if its not working its not working.

Nice result Walt, and the BBW will be started today and I will send over some pics once I get it going, and I figure 2-5 days and it will be ready to ship

i will just drop this off here. From the Lab today, LOL as the process began

proxy.php

proxy.php

This morning was a typical early Monday start, and I was a little lazy at getting the day started. I opted for an Asylum RX shave with the Pro Blade (5ish). A pretty good shave that I have to score BBS initially. Now a couple hours later, I can begin to feel the essence of whisker in some problem areas. I still think I can do better with the SE2, but this shave was still pretty sweet. Eventually, I will learn the nuances of the RX with respect to optimal angle. I sense I am getting too steep.

Well WAlt , Here is Day 2, they were sealed with 3 stirrings and then today removed and creamed with the back of a spoon and packed back in. they are in the Croap stage right now, and this is going much quicker than the last time, AZ's lack of humidity, LOL just a slight hint of a pure alcohol scent still lingers so they will be left uncovered with just a paper Towel for a day or two and stirred and re-packed and should be ready to go soon

proxy.php

Well WAlt , Here is Day 2, they were sealed with 3 stirrings and then today removed and creamed with the back of a spoon and packed back in. they are in the Croap stage right now, and this is going much quicker than the last time, AZ's lack of humidity, LOL just a slight hint of a pure alcohol scent still lingers so they will be left uncovered with just a paper Towel for a day or two and stirred and re-packed and should be ready to go soon

proxy.php

Looking great Dave. I can't wait, I think.

Straight Shave #585

Today I switched out a couple of razors from the stands on my vanity. I put away the 7/8" BRW and the Genco Master barber as both of these could stand slight refinement in the bevel, and I introduced the two BRW 6/8" razors that I have, a square point with red G10 scales, and the 2016 "Sue" razor that I got from the auction. Sue is a round point, and I had taken this razor to the Black (Ultra-Fine) Arkansas stone with one layer of tape on it as I know Brian hones his new razors with tape. The red G10 razor I had reset the bevel using no tape and the Arkansas progression some while ago, but I have yet to shave with it.

Today I elected to shave with Sue. The soap for the day was my maiden voyage with the Stirling Spice. The soap loaded very well on the brush even though the small Stirling tin was full of the puck. The initial lather was a little muddy brown. I added slightly more water and decided to go to the face to finish whipping it in. The lather still had a bit of a brown hue to it, but man was it uber slick and uber luxurious. The Spice scent was very nice indeed. I did 3 passes with a water cleanup, and the resulting shave is BBS+ and near grail worthy. The other BRWs I own I would classify as being between a 1/4 to a 1/2 ground. This razor seems to be ground finer than 1/2 ground. It was not singing a sonata but it definitely has a voice. Completely enjoyable experience this morning all of the way around. It will be interesting to follow this shave up with the other 6/8" BRW.

Alchemist Dave (@skypsyd) is teasing both Rich and I with his Elixir of Immortality, the Blasted Blue Willie. It looks like it is coming together very nicely, and I am actually getting excited to receive it and to work at getting to shave well until consumed. It might not be easy, but few things in life that are worth while are easy.

I am seeking feedback on the Williams/Arko PIF with a test drive of the ATT V1 SE2. Since Rich is doing this 3017 of the BBW challenge with me, I can imagine all kinds of ways that we can declare a winner to this once in a lifetime PIF. We can run it as how many more shaves does Walt and Rich get compared to Alchemist Dave. We can just guess the finish date when the BBW is consumed as Dave had done. Or, there are a host of side bets that are possible between Rich and I as to who lasts the longest, who gets the most number of shaves, etc. Any ideas are certainly welcomed.

Great shave and read Walt. I'm looking forward to the shootout, and would suggest the PIF involving how many shaves it takes for one of you to get perfect lather from the BBW.

Anyway it's sliced, it's gonna be a blast! (see what I did there? :lol:) I would like to propose that if this feat stretches into Easter we get that Sunday off. In 'Willy 2' I had to go to SE's and DE's for safety's sake. I will try to use straights more if we are able to stabilize the potion. Perhaps a dedicated thread to the Blasted Blue Challenge is in order. Shenanigans encouraged.

Top Bottom