What's new

Sink vs. Straight ~ can this be saved?

I've been trying my hand at straight shaving for a few weeks.
I got this razor back from Bluemantra (Justin) last week... free honing, awesome edge!
On Sunday I was trying ATG passes and was using a light touch, trying to get the feel. The light touch translated into a light grip and the razor slipped and fell to the sink. First glance it appeared that there was a large chip... but no, it's a huge split.:mad3: (at myself.. clumsy... grrrrr)
So, can this be salvaged in any form? I was thinking it may be possible to remove the metal at the lines I marked.... I don't know.
Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
John

Man. That stinks.

I've done it myself. I hope you can work something out, but it doesn't look good....

Wow, sorry to see that.:ohmy:
I don't think there's anything you can do that will make that razor worth keeping. You could remove the metal as you marked, but you wouldn't have anything decent left to shave with.
I'd just write it off, unfortunately.

Thanks for the feed back everybody.
That's what I thought... but just checking.
Mark.. thanks for the link... that's how I feel... in sorrow. It was nice using it the few times I did!

John

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Accidents happen and yes, that one is toast. I would drive to the nearest bridge and fling it like the guy who launches his friends cellphone on the ski lift commercial. Then I would get back online, order a brand new 6/8 Dovo Bismarck in Bone. By Saturday you will feel so much better. If it is your only straight I can send you a loaner til you get the Dovo (or whatever you decide) I just ask that you return it in one piece.

I don't see why this wouldn't work.

attachment.php

Was that your only straight razor?
I have others. I actually put a *decent* edge on an old soligen.
Also, a DublDuck that Pelicano put a great edge on... but I'm holding off on that one.

Accidents happen and yes, that one is toast. I would drive to the nearest bridge and fling it like the guy who launches his friends cellphone on the ski lift commercial. Then I would get back online, order a brand new 6/8 Dovo Bismarck in Bone. By Saturday you will feel so much better. If it is your only straight I can send you a loaner til you get the Dovo (or whatever you decide) I just ask that you return it in one piece.

:lol::lol:
I appreciate the offer, but I obviously can't guarantee the return condition. :biggrin1:

John

If it was at the tip it could have been done.
Taking away that much at the heel would make it all wobbly & really unsafe to use.

Not even Seraphim takes away that much metal at the heel :tongue_sm

If it was at the tip it could have been done.
Taking away that much at the heel would make it all wobbly & really unsafe to use.

Not even Seraphim takes away that much metal at the heel :tongue_sm

:001_smile
Yeah, it would remove the connection to the ridge(?) coming off the tang...
It is pretty thin metal.
John

:001_smile
Yeah, it would remove the connection to the ridge(?) coming off the tang...
It is pretty thin metal.
John
Some call it the shoulder. Others call it stabilizer.
But it is a sort a of a ridge, so it will work in a pinch too :biggrin1:

Whatever it's called it's important to support the very thin blade, just like you wrote the metal on the blade is thin & wouldn't have the proper support, thus making it a very scary thing wobbling around on your face.

Some call it the shoulder. Others call it stabilizer.
But it is a sort a of a ridge, so it will work in a pinch too :biggrin1:

Whatever it's called it's important to support the very thin blade, just like you wrote the metal on the blade is thin & wouldn't have the proper support, thus making it a very scary thing wobbling around on your face.

Shoulder it is!:biggrin1:

I have a bridge in mind....

John

Top Bottom