What's new

Talk to me about the Timeless .38 Bronze

I've got a Timeless. 68 with scalloped SB and top cap in stainless steel. It is by far the smoothest razor that I've shaved with, and the fit and finish is top-notch.

Unfortunately, I leaves me wanting more. The neutral blade exposure makes for a very smooth shave at the expense of efficiency. My pre-war Techs are more efficient.

I've been eyeing the .38 bronze, which has smaller gap but a positive blade exposure, which I was hoping woould prove a touch more efficient than the .68.

I tried the .95 OC and we didn't get along at all, but I've not tried the .95 SB so that might also be an option, though I much prefer mild yet efficient razors.

So, I was hoping I could get some real-world input on the Bronze, and decide if it makes sense for me to purchase. I think a Scratch & Dent can be had for 90 bucks, so it's a low cost gamble.

...and I love the look and feel of brass and bronze.

If you are willing to ride it steeply, it will provide a fantastic shave. And it‘’s stunningly beautiful.

Thanks.

I'll ride it anyway it wants as long as it shaves. 😁

Curious if you have shaved with the 68 or 95 SB for comparison.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had the Timeless bronze 0.38 slated for several shaves but it got bumped when the two SS Timeless razors were delivered... a human error got me a 0.68 SCL (scalloped) base plate and Timeless graciously told me to keep the scalloped base plate and immediately sent me an OC base plate. I ended up adding a second scalloped cap, so I now have two complete 0.68 SS Timeless razors with Ti Crown handles.

I have to say.... for me, the 0.68 is the perfect gap with either base plate. I did back to back shaves with them. The OC might be a tad more efficient and just a bit smoother, oddly enough. I had great shaves with them both so perhaps I'm imagining it. I need a few more shaves with the scalloped base as I've only used it once. I've had several great shaves with the 0.68OC, though several of those were with the titanium model.

I'll use the bronze 0.38 next and let you know how all three compare for me. We do have a few razors in common, but I think you need a little more efficiency than I do.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
@gpjoe , my top 3 until a couple weeks ago in no order-

Timeless SS .68sb , my cap is polished not scalloped.

British Spiral Handle Gillette Aluminum Tech

Timeless .38 Bronze

I have owned the .95 base plate and since sold it on the BST.

Seems like we have similar preferences. I think you'd like it very much.

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve tried them all. The .38 was my favorite of those 3. But I like blade-forward razors.

That is what I'm hoping. The blade exposure on the .38 is .002 and should be a bit more efficient than the .68 which is neutral.

I’ve had every Timeless razor. The bronze.38 is the best out of the bunch…for me anyway. I’ve since parted with all of my Timeless razors but if I was to ever get another one it would be the bronze.

I've only kept a few modern DE razors: the stainless steel Timeless 68SCL, and two RR Game Changers (68P, 76P).

Both of the Game Changers are a bit more efficient than the Timeless 68 (and great razors, though not as smooth) so I certainly have no need for another...I tried selling my Timeless several times here with no interest, at least at my desired price.

I had the Timeless bronze 0.38 slated for several shaves but it got bumped when the two SS Timeless razors were delivered... a human error got me a 0.68 SCL (scalloped) base plate and Timeless graciously told me to keep the scalloped base plate and immediately sent me an OC base plate. I ended up adding a second scalloped cap, so I now have two complete 0.68 SS Timeless razors with Ti Crown handles.

I have to say.... for me, the 0.68 is the perfect gap with either base plate. I did back to back shaves with them. The OC might be a tad more efficient and just a bit smoother, oddly enough. I had great shaves with them both so perhaps I'm imagining it. I need a few more shaves with the scalloped base as I've only used it once. I've had several great shaves with the 0.68OC, though several of those were with the titanium model.

I'll use the bronze 0.38 next and let you know how all three compare for me. We do have a few razors in common, but I think you need a little more efficiency than I do.

That would be fantastic...I'm looking for thoughts on a direct comparison between the 68SCL and the 38 SB.

@gpjoe , my top 3 until a couple weeks ago in no order-

Timeless SS .68sb , my cap is polished not scalloped.

British Spiral Handle Gillette Aluminum Tech

Timeless .38 Bronze

I have owned the .95 base plate and since sold it on the BST.

Seems like we have similar preferences. I think you'd like it very much.

Thanks to all. 🙂👍

My other option is to try a Kai blade in my Timeless 68SCL to increase the blade exposure a touch and see the effect on efficiency.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know the Kai bumped up the efficiency of my RR SuperSlant L1++OC a notch... I only have 100 or so Kai blades but they come in handy in many situations.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I am greatly enjoying looking at mine. I keep pulling it out for my rotation, but it keeps getting bumped. I don’t know why.

It was supposed to be up next week, but, we have to travel for my brother-in-law’s funeral. So, two weeks from now I’ll give it a whirl.

I know the Kai bumped up the efficiency of my RR SuperSlant L1++OC a notch... I only have 100 or so Kai blades but they come in handy in many situations.

It's definitely worth a try, though I really don't care for "blade dependent" razors, and certainly don't need more blades.

I think I've got a few tucks of Kai blades (among my thousands) but would need to buy more...I suppose it's still a less expensive compromise than a new razor, though not as much fun.

Well, I decided to just go ahead and purchase the Scratch & Dent razor from Timeless for 95 bucks.

Reading the replies here so far, it seems like a worthy gamble.

Thanks again to all who replied. I'll post my impression and comparison to the 68SCL once it arrives.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, I decided to just go ahead and purchase the Scratch & Dent razor from Timeless for 95 bucks.

Thanks again to all who replied. I'll post my impression and comparison to the 68SCL once it arrives.
Congrats. I have a few things from their scratch and dent section.... When they arrived, I couldn't find anything wrong with them... Every order pristine. I hope you have the same experience.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I find the .78 OC to be much more aggressive than the .95 OC or even the .5 Slim.
It's not quite .68 Stainless/Ti - .78 OC Bronze - .95 OC Stainless Ti, the heads are very different.

It is aggressive, but it is also one of my most beautiful razors. Enjoy, I just read the thread when you already said TY for replies, was after midnight in Europe.

I find the .78 OC to be much more aggressive than the .95 OC or even the .5 Slim.
It's not quite .68 Stainless/Ti - .78 OC Bronze - .95 OC Stainless Ti, the heads are very different.

It is aggressive, but it is also one of my most beautiful razors. Enjoy, I just read the thread when you already said TY for replies, was after midnight in Europe.

Well, here ya go:

Thank you 🙂👍

Congrats. I have a few things from their scratch and dent section.... When they arrived, I couldn't find anything wrong with them... Every order pristine. I hope you have the same experience.

I've never seen a scratch or dent on my scratch and dents.

That was my experience as well.

I bought my SS Timeless from a member here, with the 95OC base plate, which I had heard was quite well behaved.

After using it exclusively for a couple weeks, I found that we didn't get along well, so I bought a S&D 68SCL base plate from Timeless...and it looks perfect. If there is a flaw, I can't find it.

Did you look at buying just the baseplate and using that with your existing Timeless setup?

Yes.

I decided to go for the complete bronze experience. I thought about getting just the plate but that was almost half the cost of the complete razor.
Makes sense to me, I’d have done the same if the cost comparison worked out that way!
I’m interested to see what you think of it, I had the bronze OC plate and it was way too much for me but I’ve always been intrigued by the .38.

Top Bottom