What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Good morning, everyone. Kind of a return to normalcy today. The youngest was on spring break through yesterday; Mrs. Scandalous had an extend run of remote work after slipping in the parking lot and banging up her knee pretty good, but that's over now, so we're back to our normal morning routines. Somehow, the short people were ready to go 20 minutes early, and *I* was ready to go 10 minutes early. I'm sure it won't last.

The straight was the Daishi 350. Even in the handful of standout favorites, this one stands out. Brush was Yaqi two-band, soap was MdC Agrumes. DE under-jaw-cleanup was the Fatip slant, still going with a Nacet although I did manage to produce one odd weeper with it today so maybe it's time to move on. Certainly still felt smooth. Usually Nacets tend to start to feel rough for me after two or three outings but I guess the FOCS is bringing out the best in this blade. Finished with Myrsol Limon. No burn beyond the intended amount.

Didn't listen to music today, my ears have been bothering me again (tinnitus, inner ear stuff). I actually made an appointment with a very good independent ENT in town, but it's not for a month yet. I also have an appointment today with a GP to discuss the ongoing...stuff...which I mostly blame on post covid things, hopefully she will have some ideas. Last one I saw, about 6 weeks after my last bout, wasn't much help. "It can take 3-6 months to resolve, come back in another month if you're not improving." Which suggests to me that he didn't have any solutions, because, you know, he would have offered them then. But, maybe I can at least get a script for an anti-nausea drug or something. Anyway. Enough griping. I hope you all have a great day.
20240319_070718.jpg

Good morning, everyone. Kind of a return to normalcy today. The youngest was on spring break through yesterday; Mrs. Scandalous had an extend run of remote work after slipping in the parking lot and banging up her knee pretty good, but that's over now, so we're back to our normal morning routines. Somehow, the short people were ready to go 20 minutes early, and *I* was ready to go 10 minutes early. I'm sure it won't last.

The straight was the Daishi 350. Even in the handful of standout favorites, this one stands out. Brush was Yaqi two-band, soap was MdC Agrumes. DE under-jaw-cleanup was the Fatip slant, still going with a Nacet although I did manage to produce one odd weeper with it today so maybe it's time to move on. Certainly still felt smooth. Usually Nacets tend to start to feel rough for me after two or three outings but I guess the FOCS is bringing out the best in this blade. Finished with Myrsol Limon. No burn beyond the intended amount.

Didn't listen to music today, my ears have been bothering me again (tinnitus, inner ear stuff). I actually made an appointment with a very good independent ENT in town, but it's not for a month yet. I also have an appointment today with a GP to discuss the ongoing...stuff...which I mostly blame on post covid things, hopefully she will have some ideas. Last one I saw, about 6 weeks after my last bout, wasn't much help. "It can take 3-6 months to resolve, come back in another month if you're not improving." Which suggests to me that he didn't have any solutions, because, you know, he would have offered them then. But, maybe I can at least get a script for an anti-nausea drug or something. Anyway. Enough griping. I hope you all have a great day.View attachment 1814961
Feel better.

The blade on that razor looks perdy. If I weren't afraid of cutting myself open, I would try a straight razor.

which I mostly blame on post covid things,
I pray it is not long-term COVID, my wife has suffered with this since her bout with COVID in 2021. She had to stop working and is not the same, gets winded easily, her Dr has long-term COVID as well. This is such a new phenomenon they are learning as the go.

If I weren't afraid of cutting myself open, I would try a straight razor.
The worst I've cut myself with a straight was when I first started and did not pay enough attention to the proximity of the blade to my hand. I cut the chit out of my index finger, more than once.

I could see doing just my cheeks for a year or ten
That's how I started, just the cheeks, but you'd be amazed at how fast you progress. I set the straights aside due to my lacking honing abilities. I need to sit down and figure out the honing of the razors.

I admit, I have cut myself pretty badly with one, but not on my face.

I've had the occasional nick and cut shaving, too, but I'm certain that teenaged me managed to draw more blood with cartridges than I ever have with straights.
That reminded me of a thread that I started here on B&B in my early months called

Weirdest place you have cut yourself that is not your face or head

Needless to say there ended up with some moderator involvement in that one and I let that thread bury itself.

I pray it is not long-term COVID, my wife has suffered with this since her bout with COVID in 2021. She had to stop working and is not the same, gets winded easily, her Dr has long-term COVID as well. This is such a new phenomenon they are learning as the go.
I'm sorry to hear that...and I can relate, somewhat. The first time I (likely) had covid in '21 I had about 4 months where I was basically useless, no energy, stamina, or tolerance for exertion. Also some weird autonomic/vascular responses that seem to be somewhat typical of long covid. Somehow, it resolved, though, almost overnight. I'm quite grateful for that. Because I've seen firsthand how people are suffering, still.

This time around, I've had some of the same fatigue and stamina deficits but to a comparably much more tolerable extent. The bigger problem is a constellation of symptoms that seems pretty likely to be Meniere's or something like it. So not really long covid, although given the immediate timing I suspect whatever it is was triggered by covid.

The supreme irony in all this is that Mrs. Scandalous was diagnosed with Meniere's AND vestibular migraines last year, and now wears hearing aids. I wonder what the odds are of a husband and wife both developing that condition.

I'm sorry to hear that...and I can relate, somewhat. The first time I (likely) had covid in '21 I had about 4 months where I was basically useless, no energy, stamina, or tolerance for exertion. Also some weird autonomic/vascular responses that seem to be somewhat typical of long covid. Somehow, it resolved, though, almost overnight. I'm quite grateful for that. Because I've seen firsthand how people are suffering, still.

This time around, I've had some of the same fatigue and stamina deficits but to a comparably much more tolerable extent. The bigger problem is a constellation of symptoms that seems pretty likely to be Meniere's or something like it. So not really long covid, although given the immediate timing I suspect whatever it is was triggered by covid.

The supreme irony in all this is that Mrs. Scandalous was diagnosed with Meniere's AND vestibular migraines last year, and now wears hearing aids. I wonder what the odds are of a husband and wife both developing that condition.
Good luck to you and the Mrs.

So. Not much to report on the medical side of things. The doctor shares my suspicions, but we also need to rule out pretty much everything else. Some more tests will be scheduled, etc. It was, overall, a good experience, though. I appreciated her thoroughness and the logical approach she is taking. I told her as much.

I also got a razor out of the deal 😄...needed a couple quick spot shaves for an EKG and I asked the nurse if I could keep it. I doubt that it's intended for more than a single use (haven't taken it apart yet) but it appears, in principle, that it could be taken apart. Not sure what the blade is, you'd assume Personna/Accuthrive but the wrapper seemed wrong. I didn't get a good look at it. White wrapper with the branding in dark print, repeated in a diagonal pattern.

So of course I had to try shaving with it this morning.🤣 First thought, it's really light. Really, really light. Duh. It's plastic. But. It's very efficient. Surprisingly efficient, actually. Pretty smooth too, although I think if the head were metal it would be brilliant--it clamps securely but the plastic doesn't provide any damping. And very close shaving-- the FOCS, which is my control razor for these kinds of experiments, did not pick up many stragglers.

The main part of the shave was the Ribbon 100. I was in a hurry and it was still in the drawer from a few days ago. I had to skip the shower this morning because I have a stick-on cardiac monitor to wear for the next two weeks. They don't really want you to get it directly wet at all, but definitely no exposure to moisture for the first 24 hours or the adhesive can fail. (I got shaved for that too, but not with the DE. Some kind of purpose-made thing that looks like a vegetable peeler.) Anyway, no shower meant extra prep, but I didn't have a lot of time to really prep properly...end result was fine.

Anyway, I appreciate all your kind thoughts and well-wishes yesterday.
20240320_072211.jpg
20240320_072213.jpg

So. Not much to report on the medical side of things. The doctor shares my suspicions, but we also need to rule out pretty much everything else. Some more tests will be scheduled, etc. It was, overall, a good experience, though. I appreciated her thoroughness and the logical approach she is taking. I told her as much.

I also got a razor out of the deal 😄...needed a couple quick spot shaves for an EKG and I asked the nurse if I could keep it. I doubt that it's intended for more than a single use (haven't taken it apart yet) but it appears, in principle, that it could be taken apart. Not sure what the blade is, you'd assume Personna/Accuthrive but the wrapper seemed wrong. I didn't get a good look at it. White wrapper with the branding in dark print, repeated in a diagonal pattern.

So of course I had to try shaving with it this morning.🤣 First thought, it's really light. Really, really light. Duh. It's plastic. But. It's very efficient. Surprisingly efficient, actually. Pretty smooth too, although I think if the head were metal it would be brilliant--it clamps securely but the plastic doesn't provide any damping. And very close shaving-- the FOCS, which is my control razor for these kinds of experiments, did not pick up many stragglers.

The main part of the shave was the Ribbon 100. I was in a hurry and it was still in the drawer from a few days ago. I had to skip the shower this morning because I have a stick-on cardiac monitor to wear for the next two weeks. They don't really want you to get it directly wet at all, but definitely no exposure to moisture for the first 24 hours or the adhesive can fail. (I got shaved for that too, but not with the DE. Some kind of purpose-made thing that looks like a vegetable peeler.) Anyway, no shower meant extra prep, but I didn't have a lot of time to really prep properly...end result was fine.

Anyway, I appreciate all your kind thoughts and well-wishes yesterday.View attachment 1815475View attachment 1815476
Is that like a disposable OC safety razor?

Top Bottom