What's new

Salt cod

Getting ready for Christmas Eve! Just received a box with a freezer pack from NJ containing 2.5# of salt cod. They have moved away from the FedEx mailer to the box with a cool pack - total overkill! Anyway, looking forward to celebrating a bit of my heritage by making pastéis de bacalhau Christmas Eve. IMG_8484.jpeg
Also looking forward to making cazuelas of shrimp, scallop, and a chunk of fresh cod, in garlic and olive oil, on the grill.

What is your heritage? I ask as I only though my dad’s people (NFLD, Canada) eat that stuff often.

They make it with soaked hard bread (fish and brewis). The fish is great, the soaked bread thingy is gross. All doused in scrunchions (fried pork fat). 🤮

lasta

Blade Biter
What is your heritage? I ask as I only though my dad’s people (NFLD, Canada) eat that stuff often.

They make it with soaked hard bread (fish and brewis). The fish is great, the soaked bread thingy is gross. All doused in scrunchions (fried pork fat). 🤮
Blasphemy! Fish & brewis is the best thing since sliced bread!

Well I assume his ancestor met mine on the grand banks of Newfoundland, mine came back to the chief fishing port in France for cod and cod-related fish while his looking at the name of the recipe went down to portugal ... Back home I know a lot of folks that wish they could still find salted cod tongue. As for cooking I only know of one recipe, baked cod serve over baked potatoes with cultured sour cream

I have some Portuguese and Norwegian (and French!) in me. I have also made bacalhau a bras and a Norwegian salt cod stew.

My grandma always made baccalà for Christmas Eve, in some kind of delicious tomato/onion/something sauce. I had become vegetarian before she died but still had a plate of that.

I love bacalhau.
I believe it's a Norwegian and Portugese dish, resulting from the historical naval Atlantic contact between Portugese and Norwegians on the west coast of Norway (Norwegian fish, Mediterranean inspired cuisine). Every time we vistit Norway (from Denmark), we stock up on ready-to-eat bacalhau, you can by various kinds in virtually every supermarket i Norway. I do not associate it with Christmas though, but maybe that's just my uncultured ways.

Getting ready for Christmas Eve! Just received a box with a freezer pack from NJ containing 2.5# of salt cod. They have moved away from the FedEx mailer to the box with a cool pack - total overkill! Anyway, looking forward to celebrating a bit of my heritage by making pastéis de bacalhau Christmas Eve.View attachment 1756163
Also looking forward to making cazuelas of shrimp, scallop, and a chunk of fresh cod, in garlic and olive oil, on the grill.

Cheers!
❤️🪒🐟🍷

IMG_3550.jpeg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The Seven Fishes. Among my favorite meals of the year. It must include cod.

One year, I asked Mrs. C to just leave the oysters raw in the shells. But she gave me that crooked eye look, which meant they were getting breaded and cooked.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Grilled. Backed potatoes slightly smashed. All covered generously with garlic heated in olive oil. Sprinkle cilantro on top. Thank me later.

View attachment 1756994
Bosh Hog:
No my friend...I'm sure you don't mind if we thank you now (I'm really hungry)! :drool:

proxy.php
"And this is [the] good old [Northeast], The home of the bean and the [salt] cod..." John Collins Bossidy

Last edited:
I have ordered online to make sure I get some big pieces. The boxed and bagged salt cod in my local stores is thinner and tougher.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Kurlansky is a funny dude. He wrote Cod and also Salt which made me wonder if he was gonna write another book and call it Salt Cod. But apparently it was already baked in.

O.H.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There's a Nero Wolfe story in which salt cod plays an important conversational role.

Nero Wolfe is of course a fictional detective. His sidekick Archie Goodwin is perhaps the main character in the stories. Rex Stout wrote the stories.

That's all I knew about salt cod prior to reading this thread and doing a bit of homework. I enjoyed it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My grandmother was 2nd generation from Madeira and used to make Bacalhau Salad and Vinha D’alhos all the time.

Those are dishes that I love now but were very overwhelming when I was a kid. She used to make the whole house reek of vinegar. I would have to go outside.

Top Bottom